Technical Forte Advanced Formula Motor Flush

Currently reading:
Technical Forte Advanced Formula Motor Flush

you need engine out & new rings in..

I've only done the low compression cylinder but...

Noel

you need engine out & new rings in..

Noel

Yep, looks like I've wasted a head gasket!
Don't think I need the engine out though, I had a look at Haynes and it looks as though i can take off the sump, disconnect the pistons, and take them out of the top end.

What i don't understand is why one cylinder suddenly loses compression and the others are OK. There was no significant wear in the bores either - no lip at the top of the stroke.

I'm not even sure where to get new rings - had a search on Google and not many results. Perhaps I'll give a couple of my local motor factors a ring.....

If it was sudden it could be gum or a broken ring, add more neat oil gum solvent down plug hole, rotate the engine slowly without plugs, leave gum solvent in cylinder with piston near to TDC, i.e. add more. Sping the engine on starter before putting plugs back...

They only gum if you neglect the engine... donno what makes them snap.

Yes you can get piston out with engine in situ, done that a lot in pluky youth, easier to keep clean if you remove it. If the bore is badly damaged it will need a grind, but Ive have single cylinders be way out, and the new rings not really been large enough, i.e. the gaps beyond service limits, but dont worry put everything back, they will be better then old rings.

If you replace rings you will need to remove top wear lip (even if the compression ring is stepped) and the bore glaze, removing (all) the abrasive afterwards is necessary and difficult even with the engine out. A few bit of abrasive do a lota damage.
P.S. edit the wear lip is not like a stair case step, and bore wear is a few thou, measure ring gap at top of stroke and half way down, if it varies too much rebore..., but hey I normally just reassemble with the new components, the ring gap must be more then the minium, and dont crack a ring they are like glass, and will cut flesh too... Buy partner a nurse uniform with nylon stockings...

Last edited:
Thanks Pep0. To get myself back to the topic (!), by "gum solvent" do you mean Forte? Or would something like injector cleaner or carb cleaner do the job?
I've overhauled a few cylinder heads, never been involved with piston rings and I'm not to keen to start unless absolutely necessary!

I use hydrulic tapped noise reducer, but I think all the formula are the same...

While there is a possibility it might be gum treat like gum.

overnight or over weekend plugs out lots of solvent in, errant piston at top of stroke. Purge by spinning on starter with plugs out.

Weeks of Forts in oil etc.

Then its sump off.

Noel

I don't seem to know anything about Forte. But then I have only had the Frenchaise, did lots of field testing, lab testing and applications with it.

But what I do know knowing nothing is that Forte products are very much diifferent than any other product and much longer on the market than anyone else. And they had to prove themselves on the most demanding markets, where all products to follow failed.

The best way to go about using the gas treatment is (and I don't care that Roswell can read lables) to put a bottle in about 10 litres of fuel (quarter of your tanke) and run as low as possible, but don't push it to the petrol station.

The Forte engine flush you best leave for at least for 300 miles in and flush then.

If this doean't cure it, you most likely have got a broken ring.

We have tested plenty of cars with fairly low mileages being down on compression by up to 65psi with having between the cylinders of over 40psi difference, where most of the time 1 or 2 cylinders were extreme in relation to the others. We never had any car that showed simliar compression losses on all cylinder. However, after an extended treatment compression values were in most cars within 5psi and the rest no worse than 10psi Unless a piston ring was cracked.

Ive had a bore oversize, i.e. the compressio ring gap was way out of service limits, and compression way down. No sign of bore scoring. The salvage ring set was also out of service limits...

Never had a cracked ring in one of my engines.

But do every thing before stripping pistons out.

I always use a lot of solvent between oil changes, and change oil early. Changing oil is easy, just getting rings is hard enough, snapping one is just silly...

Noel

Back