Technical Fluids (Gearbox and Brake)

Currently reading:
Technical Fluids (Gearbox and Brake)

Mattia Butera

I'm looking to change the gearbox fluid and brake fluid on my 1972 500L with the original, non-synchro transmission. The Haynes Manual recommends SAE-90EP for the transmission, but I wanted to check with you all to see recommendations, and also where I could purchase it (I live in New Jersey, USA). Same goes with the brake fluid, I am struggling to find info on which to use. They are also standard (drums front and back).

Thanks for the help,
Mattia

I'm looking to change the gearbox fluid and brake fluid on my 1972 500L with the original, non-synchro transmission. The Haynes Manual recommends SAE-90EP for the transmission, but I wanted to check with you all to see recommendations, and also where I could purchase it (I live in New Jersey, USA). Same goes with the brake fluid, I am struggling to find info on which to use. They are also standard (drums front and back).

Thanks for the help,
Mattia
That oil specification sounds about right. Some help with the oil change on the gearbox---the fill/level plug is on the o/s (your PASSENGER side) of the gearbox just to the rear of the drive shafts and JUST forward of the bell-housing/gearbox body joint. It is normally VERY tight! The easy way to undue the plug which is a 13mm (1/2inch) square is to use a short 1/2 in drive extension the wrong way round (i.e the FEMALE end over the drain plug) and the the appropriate socket and wrench on the MALE end of the drive. The drain plug is much easier to get to. Unless you have ramp, or some device to lift the car high off the ground, the easiest way to re-fill the gearbox (through the fill/level plug) is to get a long length of (preferably clear) plastic tubing that will go into the drain/fillplug hole, lead the plastic piping up into the engine bay and re-fill the gearbox through that piping---you fill it until oil comes outof the filler-plug hole. Not the fastest way, but the easiest if you can't hoist the car high off the ground.
As for brake fluid, I don't know how they 'rate' brake fluid in the USA, but in the UK. we use "DOT4" specification brake fluid.

That oil specification sounds about right. Some help with the oil change on the gearbox---the fill/level plug is on the o/s (your PASSENGER side) of the gearbox just to the rear of the drive shafts and JUST forward of the bell-housing/gearbox body joint. It is normally VERY tight! The easy way to undue the plug which is a 13mm (1/2inch) square is to use a short 1/2 in drive extension the wrong way round (i.e the FEMALE end over the drain plug) and the the appropriate socket and wrench on the MALE end of the drive. The drain plug is much easier to get to. Unless you have ramp, or some device to lift the car high off the ground, the easiest way to re-fill the gearbox (through the fill/level plug) is to get a long length of (preferably clear) plastic tubing that will go into the drain/fillplug hole, lead the plastic piping up into the engine bay and re-fill the gearbox through that piping---you fill it until oil comes outof the filler-plug hole. Not the fastest way, but the easiest if you can't hoist the car high off the ground.
As for brake fluid, I don't know how they 'rate' brake fluid in the USA, but in the UK. we use "DOT4" specification brake fluid.
Thanks for the guidance and tips!

Back