Technical gearbox leaking

Currently reading:
Technical gearbox leaking

Yannitof

My mechanic informed me that following the engine installation, which involved significant repairs and replacing the cylinder pistons, there is now a leak from the gearbox. To diagnose the problem, he needs to remove the engine. I'm concerned about potential additional costs and would appreciate any insights into the issues before proceeding. I want to convey my understanding of the situation to ensure an accurate assessment and avoid unnecessary charges for non-existent parts or labor. Can anyone help me identify possible issues?

fiat 500 L

My mechanic informed me that following the engine installation, which involved significant repairs and replacing the cylinder pistons, there is now a leak from the gearbox. To diagnose the problem, he needs to remove the engine. I'm concerned about potential additional costs and would appreciate any insights into the issues before proceeding. I want to convey my understanding of the situation to ensure an accurate assessment and avoid unnecessary charges for non-existent parts or labor. Can anyone help me identify possible issues?

fiat 500 L
Others here can advise on specific classic Fiat 500 details, as the last one I owned was in 1978.
However from a mechanical point of view, first what oil is leaking, if engine oil, then down to their rebuild. Especially if leaking from sealing arrangement behind flywheel or sump gasket sealing in that area.
If gear oil harder for you to prove that no gear oil leaks prior to engine work.
Do you have photos of clean dry gearbox just prior to going to garage.
Is the gear oil leaking from engine end, in which case there may be a slight argument of damage when pushing engine back onto gearbox during refitting maybe damaging area oil seal on clutch release bearing slides on tube , but very hard to prove unless obviously broken.
If oil leaking from drive shaft area, was the gearbox left in place and just engine removed for the work?
If driveshafts were disturbed and proof it was dry before engine job maybe a question.
So back to my original point, check if oil is from engine (should be be clean and the colour of new chip oil if engine just rebuilt) if gear oil it is usually slightly darker, a thicker consistency and stronger smelling) so to sum up, if it is engine oil and you have just paid for a complete rebuild then down to garage to do work at their cost. If gear oil most likely at your cost as hard to prove it wasn't there before they worked on vehicle.
Note this is just my opinion and not "on site" to inspect, so a guess.;)

Others here can advise on specific classic Fiat 500 details, as the last one I owned was in 1978.
However from a mechanical point of view, first what oil is leaking, if engine oil, then down to their rebuild. Especially if leaking from sealing arrangement behind flywheel or sump gasket sealing in that area.
If gear oil harder for you to prove that no gear oil leaks prior to engine work.
Do you have photos of clean dry gearbox just prior to going to garage.
Is the gear oil leaking from engine end, in which case there may be a slight argument of damage when pushing engine back onto gearbox during refitting maybe damaging area oil seal on clutch release bearing slides on tube , but very hard to prove unless obviously broken.
If oil leaking from drive shaft area, was the gearbox left in place and just engine removed for the work?
If driveshafts were disturbed and proof it was dry before engine job maybe a question.
So back to my original point, check if oil is from engine (should be be clean and the colour of new chip oil if engine just rebuilt) if gear oil it is usually slightly darker, a thicker consistency and stronger smelling) so to sum up, if it is engine oil and you have just paid for a complete rebuild then down to garage to do work at their cost. If gear oil most likely at your cost as hard to prove it wasn't there before they worked on vehicle.
Note this is just my opinion and not "on site" to inspect, so a guess.;)
i am sending some pictures... hope you can help me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118_172737_Viber.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_172737_Viber.jpg
    834.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20240118_172732_Viber.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_172732_Viber.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20240118_172725_Viber.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_172725_Viber.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 41
i am sending some pictures... hope you can help me
The first two photos of driveshaft seals in fairness to garage if no work done on gearbox/driveshaft area may be down to fair wear and tear and new seals etc. needed there. They have a strange system peculiar to Fiat I think, where the sealing side revolves in the fixed rubber gaiter, others here will be able to explain it better, but unless gearbox is overfull of oil then not alot to be done apart from replacement there.
Re the last photo if I am reading it correctly it may be a seepage of engine oil around back of sump area, in which case that would be garages problem

The first two photos of driveshaft seals in fairness to garage if no work done on gearbox/driveshaft area may be down to fair wear and tear and new seals etc. needed there. They have a strange system peculiar to Fiat I think, where the sealing side revolves in the fixed rubber gaiter, others here will be able to explain it better, but unless gearbox is overfull of oil then not alot to be done apart from replacement there.
Re the last photo if I am reading it correctly it may be a seepage of engine oil around back of sump area, in which case that would be garages problem
As I explained on an earlier answer to a similar question, the gearbox boots and seals can easily be changed WITHOUT removing the gearbox, especiallyif it is a garage doing the repair and the car is up on a ramp. As to the engine leak---that will have to be examined on the ramp (with you in attendance ?) to ascertain the actual cause. There is a u-tube film showing how to change the gear-box boots and seals with the gearbox still in-situ.

As I explained on an earlier answer to a similar question, the gearbox boots and seals can easily be changed WITHOUT removing the gearbox, especiallyif it is a garage doing the repair and the car is up on a ramp. As to the engine leak---that will have to be examined on the ramp (with you in attendance ?) to ascertain the actual cause. There is a u-tube film showing how to change the gear-box boots and seals with the gearbox still in-situ.
I agree with @the hobbler, that the boots and seals can be changed "WITHOUT" removing the gearbox.
However the point being raised was whether the gearbox had been removed by the garage when engine work was done and to whom the resultant oil leaks could be attributed to:)

Back