General Flexi Exhaust pipe

Currently reading:
General Flexi Exhaust pipe

My flexi pipe has started blowing, anybody had any fun in this area of our beloved motor, if so, where did you get your bits, how much and what did you actually do?
Cheers
George

Well, there must be a lot of Bugs out there without flexi exhaust problems then, never mind I've found a supplier, just gotta get down and get under.
Might aswell change the drop links while I'm at it - they've been knockin to get off the bus for ages.
Got an annoyin clunk on the R-send, only when I drop down off a kerb or ramp at an angle - sommat's loose. there's only the subframe that I can think of.

Last edited:
I'm on the second front pipe in our 3 year ownership, recently fitted a dubious quality Ebay one.
Went down a very bad country lane and damaged it on the flexi already so no doubt I'll be changing that very soon.

On the rear it could be a subframe bush, roll bar bush, trailing arm bearing, or a shock absorber bush perhaps.

Got an annoyin clunk on the R-send, only when I drop down off a kerb or ramp at an angle - sommat's loose. there's only the subframe that I can think of.

Exhaust?

I've never found a good quality flexi section. Someone on here posted about welding one up from a standard type. That was a few years ago now. I think the flexi for cars with a DPF is different to the earlier ones and there might even have been a variation in the roundnose years too.

Last edited:
Bin thinkin about the clunk on the R-send, as y'all know I've very recently rebuilt the rear subframe, swing arm bearings, rubber bushes, new springs, shocks and brake pipes.
I was pondering if a bolt had come loose cuz it don't sound like an exhaust pipe rattle - this is more of a 'clunk'. Exhausts tend to rattle over bumps or round bends, this isn't doing that, there's just a single 'clunk' - like you'd hear from somethin moving in one direction, then stopping.
I'll have to get under and take a butchers - I'm getting lazy these days, an it's getting too easy to say, "I'll do it tommora", that's what getting old does for ya.
George

Well, taking my granddad's words literally - do nothing in haste. . . :rolleyes:

I finally got round to bending my knee's an gettin under the shed. :eek:

Naturally, I couldn't have picked a worse day for it - no sooner had I got set up and it persisted down :mad: - long coffee break later and it's eased off a bit - ah well, even I can't put it off any longer... :cool:

First thing: I had a butchers at the clunkin on the r-send...
Gordeon bennett, me nearside bottom shock bolts done a runner! :eek:
How the bloody hell did that drop out? :bang:
It's a bloody big bolt an I swear I put some grunt on them.
Anyway, found one in the 'garage' (if you saw it you'd swear blind it was a home for wayward junk - I've still got parts in there for cars and motorbikes I got rid of years ago) :yum:
So, clunkin on the r-send sorted - it don't feel right havin a quiet drive, haha
Right, irons hot lets have a butchers at that flexi exhaust - its only bin blowin for a few months. . . :rolleyes:
Can't get the nuts undone, too rusty, plenty of juice and leave it till tomorrow hopefully it'll come apart or it'll be a hot spanna. :worship:
More later
George

Sorry mucka, somehow missed your post - it's me brain, it ay werkin like it used to :rolleyes:
I had an old one from an old motor I got - it was only good for parts so I kept the engine and some useful bits an ditched the rest - so, after sleeping in the 'garage' for a year or three, it's now doing it's job again - or will be when I get the old one apart.
Cheers
George

Back