Technical Fitting suspension...easy job turns into a nightmare

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting suspension...easy job turns into a nightmare

i'll be fitting my brace this week, before modified nationals this weekend.. my brace is flourescent pink though :yum:

Fluorescent pink? Hmm, interesting :chin: :D

Want to try and fit mine on my next off day, only no one in the town I stay seems to know where to find self tapping bolts. Went to B&Q, hardware shops (they only had the screw type) and then finally to one who had some, but said they shouldn't be used at stress points, basically what a brace is fixed to. I know ideally you should use nylock nuts and some bolts, but I'm not taking those damned struts off for a while :) Guy seemed totally clueless about cars and the like anyway, so shall pop round when I'm free and get some for fitting.

Noticed today when painting my callipers again...front OS drop link's slightly bent. Probably happened when the car was getting taken to the garage. Shall have to pop a new one on at the same time I do the brace.

Oh yeah and also noticed rear tyre wear issues, which I'll start another thread on...

Yeah, tried to change the droplink today and it hasn't happened. The thread bent in the hole in the strut and it's just not budging. Shall need to phone the garage tomorrow as it was technically the people who uplifted my car, which they hired, that caused the damage to it. They also scored my alloy wheel on the inside, looks like someone's badly kerbed it all the way round.

Not very happy at all with them for letting me drive away on a damaged droplink and also fairly badly damaging my alloy. May have to turn my recommendation of them to an avoid in the garages section :rolleyes:

Okay, just been to the garage and they've replaced the droplink free of charge and said they can get the alloy tidied up for not a lot of money. Was technically the guy who uplifted it who caused the damage, so not the fault of the garage. A bit miffed he put the bent droplink back on the new suspension, but as he's been so good about everything and not charged me, I still rate the place really highly (CM Garage Services, East Kilbride). In fact, I'd go as far as saying they're the best garage I've ever used. If any problems do crop up, they're more than happy to deal with them :)

He even gave me some self tappers for fitting my strutbrace, which no other place I went to near by seemed to have or no of. Didn't charge me for them either, so all in all, though it's been a bit of a hassle, I think it's sorted. Hopefully :eek:

Back