First Timer Engine Swap?

Currently reading:
First Timer Engine Swap?

Drag SGT

Hi there.

A few of you have met me already, I joined up a about 5 days ago after I found a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. It's nearly a complete restoration project though, with the interior being shot and some components in the engine bay either not working or absent.

The exterior is in fairly good condition with the exception of some rust some I'm not worried there.

Not being able to find a lot of parts here in the U.S I quickly turned to the salvage yards and the first thing I found was a 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta, 2.0l, DOHC, basically the same as what I currently have. The yard also has the 5-speed manual to match, which would solve my woes of the previous owner swapping over to an automatic.

On top of that, I also finally found a Fiat/Alfa/Lancia parts supplier stateside but they don't carry very many parts for the Coupe. They do, however, carry a lot of parts for the Alfa Alfetta, including performance upgrades.

The Engine/Tranny combo is only 375$ and seems to be a steal. So for you senior members out there.... Is the swap good and worth it? It appears to carry a bit more hp stock. Are the motor mounts the same/similar? I know it was possible to get a 16v head for the Fiat; would it also be true of the Alfa?

So many questions. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
the Alfa twincam is different to the fiat one. which might make mountings a bit of a problem though can probably be worked around. Alfa Romeo was a seperate company up till late 80's when fiat bought them.

The Alfa engines are meant to be very good though, chain driven and very solid.

Yeah, I jumped on the Alfa forums and they told me that it wouldn't be worth my while. Although the parts availability was higher in the U.S, according to them, the Fiat engine has much more potential. Which is good I suppose. Means I don't have to buy another engine. *laughs*

Thanks for the tips!

Back