Technical First Oil Change

Currently reading:
Technical First Oil Change

Right then, my car has now done nearly 5k miles and i have been told that it really should have had an oil change by now as the engine has run itself in quite a bit.

The question is this, the manual says i should use 5/30 oil, would i be ok to use anything else?

The reason i ask is that i have a lot of good quality 10/40 and i would rather not shell out for something i dont need.

Thanks

Rich

I done 9k miles now Rich C and am considering just binning the old oil as a DIY job and keeping the filter on til my 1st Service at 18k miles (free).
Really strest about waiting 18,000 miles!

An oil change wont do any harm but personally I think its false economy, I would stick with exactly what Fiat recomends after all they are the experts. Oils like engines have come a long way in the last decade and fully-synthetic oils will last 18k in a modern fuel injected engine with no problem. I wouldnt like to trust any mineral or semi-synth oil over that distance though nor would I change the grades, the engine has been designed to operate on 5/30 not 10/40, you may well be doing more harm than good particularly when the engine is cold or very hot as 10/40 does not behave the same as 5/30 in these conditions.

About 10 years ago I was running a 1.6 zetec company Mondeo and the non-franchised garage doing the servicing used semi-synth 10/40 instead of the reccomended ynth 5/30 on several occasions, upshot was the hydraulic valve lifters clogged up and the head required some very expensive repairs as a result. Since then I have trusted the makers and always used what they say.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I agree with sledge. By all means change the oil if its stressing you out but wait until about 10k and for gods sake use the correct grade! :p. And don't change the filter either incase you don't know it needs to go on the fiat diagnostic.

Last edited:
I went and bought 5/40 synthetic stuff to top up the oil in my 1.4 petrol sporting. Bit scared to not 'go by the book'.

It never ceases to amaze me how people continually f**k up on the 'oil' front.
It is such an important thing and yet people are so 'tight' and 'lazy' they don't
want to drive down to the fiat dealer and actually pay money for something
that is soooooo important to get absolutely 'right'.......Madness!?!!?

ive just topped my oil up with castrol magnitec (not sure on the weight) its used around a litre for 10k not got my service while october so ill prob have done around 14k. the oil is a bit black but the car still runs fine

Fully agree its my plan to get Selenia from my FAIT robber... erm dealer... as fresh oil of the right type HAS to be better than old oil. Jeez £30 ish and I will be happy... Cheap date me... and easy to pleeeze lol!!

Well that anwers my question then. I thought that would be the case, i dont mind buying the proper stuff if it is neccesary but i wasnt going to do it for the sake of it. I dont see the point in cutting corners when its probably the second most expensive thing ill ever buy.

ChrisUK, are you saying that the oil filter has to be done by Fiat?

Rich

Well that anwers my question then. I thought that would be the case, i dont mind buying the proper stuff if it is neccesary but i wasnt going to do it for the sake of it. I dont see the point in cutting corners when its probably the second most expensive thing ill ever buy.

ChrisUK, are you saying that the oil filter has to be done by Fiat?

Rich

In a long story short yes. You can put a new filter on your self but it will need to get hooked up to a computer to reset something to do with the particle learn count (or something like that). Ask T14086 he's mentioned it in a similar thread.

I have just changed the oil in my 1.4 16v this morning, I got the filter from Fiat, but I got my 3 litres of Selenia Star 5/40 from Alfa Romeo, its about 3 quid a litre cheaper lol, the car has just done 5800 miles and the oil that came out wasnt toooo terrible compared to some but it was going quite black and smelled like that old oil smell you get, now its a lovely clear gold again and the car seems to thank me for it, all in it was 40 quid ish but well worth it to keep it tip top IMHO as it will do around 22k a year, I say go for it, it cant hurt, 18k service intervals are way too long.

In my personal experience with our 05 reg Megane 1.6, which also has 18k or 2 year intervals, the engine is not as smooth and quiet as it once was, its done 26k now but following the Renault book it has of course only had 1 oil change :eek: , its just not enough and the Fiat I feel will only go the same way if allowed to run on old oil for that long.

Apparently Selenia formulate 2 different oils for Alfa and FIAT...

Maybe a ruse but I saw it on the Selenia site.

I asked if it was the same and told yes as it says meets Fiat whatever specifications on the back of the bottle, it also states it is designed for aggresive driving;) so if it meets specs and is suitable for very high ragging temperatures, im happy!

In a long story short yes. You can put a new filter on your self but it will need to get hooked up to a computer to reset something to do with the particle learn count (or something like that). Ask T14086 he's mentioned it in a similar thread.

What do you think to just changing the oil and leaving the filter for now, would this be ok? Do we think that by plugging it in to a computer it will reset my map? I really hope not.

Rich

ah the complications of DPFs.....I just whacked a new filter on and away we go, I should imagine resetting the oil particle count wont touch the other systems in the car, it got to be just a simple system, but I should just call the dealer and ask

Thats why I am just doing my oil swap Rich. Hope there is no electronic gizmo to detect that too and need the car to be plugged in! Seems like a money making thing to me, christ we got where we are doing oil & filter changes on the driveway. All the gadgetry is shoving us back to the dealers, fair enough there are longer Service intervals tho.

ah the complications of DPFs.....I just whacked a new filter on and away we go, I should imagine resetting the oil particle count wont touch the other systems in the car, it got to be just a simple system, but I should just call the dealer and ask

Is that what the reset is related to, the DPF? If it is i dont have one. I thought it may be to reset the service bit on the trip. Think im going to have to ask my dealer.

Rich

What do you think to just changing the oil and leaving the filter for now, would this be ok? Do we think that by plugging it in to a computer it will reset my map? I really hope not.

Rich

To be fair thats what I did on my GP Sporting when I had it. When I hit the 9k Mark I went and bought some Mobil 1 F1 5/30 Turbo Diesel Oil (Usually £40 for 5L but I got it for £30). Then just changed the oil and left the original filter on with no issues. Must admit I could tell the difference the engine got alot smoother and more willing to rev and got better on the go-go juice too :slayer:.

And to answer the above questions, I don't think its anything to do with the DPF its to do with something in the ECU. And its been said in a similar thread the dealers DO NOT charge to reset it if your getting your service done too.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. I have decided im going to just change the oil for either the recommended stuff or some Mobil 1 5/30 and leave the filter as it is. The car isnt going to know that the oil has been changed and i will still want it all doing at the 1st service so it shouldnt make any difference.

Thanks again.

Rich

Back