Technical Find out mileage with broken display

Currently reading:
Technical Find out mileage with broken display

AzMansell

Hi Guys,
I've bought a cheap Punto Sporting as a run around and one of the main things wrong with it is the instrument cluster is faulty (Speedo & Revs, Light icon and indicator icons WORK... Digital display, petrol gauge and temp DO NOT work).

I've found some replacement ones on ebay for around £25-30 and found that i would need the proxy aligned to read the mileage which i've been quoted £80 + vat.

Unfortunately, I've got no idea what the mileage is currently and neither has the garage who sold it me and I don't want to spend loads of money on the thing to find out the mileage is ridiculously high.

Is there a cost effective way to find out the mileage, i.e. by putting on a laptop etc to find out whether doing this little car up is worth it or it's better to just run it into the ground?

Cheers,
Az :)

well you could plug it to a computer with mes to see mileage but that probably wont be accurate and will be actually lower than the real mileage, when i plugged mine it showed 77k in mes while on dashboard clock it was 117k, fiat guy said it is probably so low cuz when car was last serviced at fiat they wrote mileage in, and since it was the last time serviced at fiat that mileage was never corrected to the actuall one

try looking around engine bay for service tickets, they usually write down mileage

Cheers guys, I think for now i'll just replace the cluster to get my fuel gauge back and have the proxy aligned later on. Cheers for all the advice :)

Back