Fiat500 Panel Damage - will they write off my car?

Currently reading:
Fiat500 Panel Damage - will they write off my car?

savage donkey

Hiya,

Newbie here so apologies in advance. :)

Some rotter damaged my vehicle whilst it was parked overnight on the road outside my house and left no note/contact details, so I'm having to claim on my Admiral insurance (lose 2 years no claims plus £250 excess). (n)

The damage was to three panels (door, both wheel arches) plus wing mirror casing (the glass is fine). Pics show detail.

The car is 62 reg, 1.2 pop, 32329 miles and I'd say has current value of around £4000 - £4300.

My question is, do you think this damage will lead to a Cat D write off? I have GAP insurance and finance through Fiat (I think the remaining balance is about £4000).

Might the cost of replacing panels, plus labour, plus courtesy car add up to more than the ££ calculated using the repair to value ratio?

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    528 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 120
Hi, :) and an unfortuate welcome,

looks reasonably serious, :(
the line between front wing and door is distorted,reasonable forces involved :(
and the rear arch isn't a simple repair.., :eek:

BUT it's all down to the assessor, and it's perceived value..,

how many miles on car will have a bearing too,

Charlie - Oxford

Thanks Charlie - yup, depends on the assessor. I'll have to wait until next week once they've looked at the damage.

I'm not too attached to the car anyway and was planning on handing it back in September once my 4 year finance ends. It's been nothing but trouble to me since day one - fan belt whistling (had to go into the garage twice for readjustment in the first 6 months), both rear shocks replaced under warranty, seized brakes after 17000 miles, door handle fell off.

Best wishes!

Not difficult for us old skool panel beaters, but these days they are all fitters.

You will likely be looking at it being written off. They will go by trade value, plus a percentage as a sweetener.

The front has had reasonable force, without looking at the A post, it is difficult to see if it needs any realignment. If it does need jigging, you are looking 1500 or so for that alone.

The quarter panel is probably a grand to do at bodyshop prices, plus paint - looking pretty close without a doorskin/door and wing as well. Don't get your hopes up - however, if it is rare colour, mileage, model etc you could argue that it is exceptional and irreplacable.

As the wing mirro is undamaged and the damage to the car is low down and clearly been done at force by something sharp but moving with speed, I would put my money on a window van with a glass carrier on the side.

It's a lot of damage but as there is no other party involved, I'm presuming not requirement for a rental car and it's still a relatively new car, they might well just repair it.

Back