Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Alfa 156 1.9 jtd

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

chrisunoman

Prominent member
The time has come to change my car again.

Id like something bigger and faster than my 16v punto, top speed being more important than acceleration, but insurance groups are another important factor. For this reason a diesel would fit the bill.

There are a few cars im looking at, at the top of the list at the moment are the Fiat Stilo 1.9 jtd, the Alfa 156 1.9 jtd and the 2.0 tdci Mondeo.

What would you have?

Presumptions that the cars will break down/i'll look like a sales rep dont bother me, ive had an Uno ;)

Stilo2B.jpg

52607_00mg.jpg

ford_mondeo_titanium_x_19_10_04.jpg

I was in a similar predicament recently. I'd rule the Alfa 156 out immediately. They are really beautiful cars, but the reliability is woeful, and this is coming from an Alfa lover/owner. A 147 would be a better bet or even a 145.

Dismissing the F*rd for no reason other than it's a F*rd that leaves the Stilo.

I was really surprised at how much I liked the Stilo. The build quality is way above any other Fiat I've seen with the exception of the Grande Punto and the Croma. Have a look at a Multiwagon. I went looking for a 5 door but as soon as I seen the MW that was it.

Steve said:
I was in a similar predicament recently. I'd rule the Alfa 156 out immediately. They are really beautiful cars, but the reliability is woeful, and this is coming from an Alfa lover/owner. A 147 would be a better bet or even a 145.

Dismissing the F*rd for no reason other than it's a F*rd that leaves the Stilo.

I was really surprised at how much I liked the Stilo. The build quality is way above any other Fiat I've seen with the exception of the Grande Punto and the Croma. Have a look at a Multiwagon. I went looking for a 5 door but as soon as I seen the MW that was it.

Took the words right out of the old mans mouth so what else is there to say except STILO STILO STILO :)

147's are tremendously good value now... take a spy round autotrader and you'll see the bargains that can be had..

My 147 is nearly 4 years old has 85000 miles on it and has never broke down. Get funny italian electric bugs from time to time but thats part of the italia experience :D

Im going to have a test drive in the Stilo on friday, out of the three versions available its a tough call between a 3dr and the MW, the shape of the 5dr is strange imo, so its whether i think i need the extra space an estate would give me...

Ive already had a test drive in a 2.0 Mondeo, its a lovely car despite it being a ford, and it really shifts!

And the prices 156's are going for is incredible, which is why theyve made it into my top 3. Although Steves pointed out one of my fears, the reliability.

I think ill have a better idea after Friday, although the Stilo is winning at the moment.

Edit: Oh im only 22, but ive got a fancy new job and feel its right to upgrade.

Last edited:
chrisunoman said:
Oh im only 22, but ive got a fancy new job and feel its right to upgrade.

If your 22 no need to worrie about insurance as it'll be pretty cheap anyway the stilo JTD is only 5/6 insurance! I went for a 1.2 8v punto to the 1.8 16v stilo when i was 18 and there was barely any difference in the insurance :eek:

Although i have voted for the stilo if your looking at alfa i have a soft spot for the 147, just as nice car (y)

Oh is it a JTD or a multijet JTD your wanting as im not sure if there a slight difference in insurance cause the JTD has 115bhp and the multijet has 120bhp!

its gotta be the stilo! alfa's are nice but beginning to age now which wont help reliability, mondeo's are so dull, so get the 3dr stilo!

Im 22 as well and people really notice the shape of the stilo, more than any of my mates cars (fiesta's, focus, calibra, punto etc)(y)

its between the stilo n the alfa...

if ur only planning to keep the cars 3 years or less, then the alfa (while its under warranty)

other than that the stilo :)

Drove the 1.9 Stilo last week and tbh it didnt seem to drive as good as the Mondeo (n) it seemed quite slow on pick up where the Mondeo didnt. Maybe i drove the jtd and not mjtd, it was an 05 model...

Although it still beat my present Punto hands down! :D

The shortlist has changed somewhat as now its between the Stilo and Mondeo... the insurers are being ridiculous with prices for even a 1.6 Alfa! :eek:

I shall decide for definite in a month or two, when money is more obtainable.

chrisunoman said:
Drove the 1.9 Stilo last week and tbh it didnt seem to drive as good as the Mondeo (n) it seemed quite slow on pick up where the Mondeo didnt. Maybe i drove the jtd and not mjtd, it was an 05 model...

Although it still beat my present Punto hands down! :D

The shortlist has changed somewhat as now its between the Stilo and Mondeo... the insurers are being ridiculous with prices for even a 1.6 Alfa! :eek:

I shall decide for definite in a month or two, when money is more obtainable.

I manage a fleet of engineers nationwide who, through company policy now have to drive diesel Mondeos. I get a car allowance that lets me choose whatever car I can afford. I chose a Stilo JTD and had it re-mapped. The engineers moan about things not being equal; if things were they wouldn't choose the Mondeo. Some have tried the Stilo and would swap in a new york minute. The speed is there and so is the style. The mondeo cant give you both. But, as they say, the choice is yours.

I wouldn't have any of them (with tractor power).

Going from a Stilo to a 156 (new shape), it's a much better car.

Steering, handling, performance, comfort & reliability are all miles ahead. A real drivers car:D Practicallity is no where near as good though:(

The Stilo is a good car though & offers good VFM.

Same awfull dealer network though (Alfa's are just more upmarket Fiat's; Alfa Romeo UK is the trading name of FAUK Ltd after all).

The Mundano is a good all rounder (if you're a rep) & is, IMO, the only one of the 3 that deserves a diesel engine. As good as Fiat Group diesels are, they are still diesels & do not belong in Italian cars:bang:

I was asked & I told;)

stilo all the way!!i got mine like 3 months ago.was told that their unreliable.but it has been great!nice car.id give the stilo 10/10.:)

Back