General Fiat Stilo Abarth 2.4L 20v Turbo!

Currently reading:
General Fiat Stilo Abarth 2.4L 20v Turbo!

For 5 cylinders you have a number of options, real world ecu sometihng like the omex 710 will do. If you have a wish to go for something even better then the pectel sq6. You will notice a huge price jump thats it with ecu's. But dont talk about it here on a forum call the guy who mapped mine Phil Lanes at GandG motorsport 07717885420 .

rich

Pectel I agree, but Omex can be a nightmare with this set-up. I would rather go DTA.

hahaha, you've obviously never driven a stilo :D
the tipo chassis is far more capable.

Which is why I recommended he did some major tweaking on the stilo chassis as just after market shocks and springs will do very little to improve things in the road holding and power transference dept ..

I also note that the poster is only looking for 220bhp and if that's all he is looking for then I cant for the life of me under stand the logic behind this conversion as that kind of figure is already obtainable with a decent induction system ..mapping ..exhaust and cams .. to me this is a pointless exercise and just chucking money at a project that can already be achieved without the turbo conversion ..

Last edited:
Which is why I recommended he did some major tweaking on the stilo chassis as just after market shocks and springs will do very little to improve things in the road holding and power transference dept ..

I also note that the poster is only looking for 220bhp and if that's all he is looking for then I cant for the life of me under stand the logic behind this conversion as that kind of figure is already obtainable with a decent induction system ..mapping ..exhaust and cams .. to me this is a pointless exercise and just chucking money at a project that can already be achieved without the turbo conversion ..

phil, he is doing it because he wants to have a 2.4 20v turbo in his stilo. ;)

and he then has the opportunity to increase to +220 :)

We stilo owners now all to well it can be done the greek guys have done all of the models with the exeption of the 2.4 and thats only because there are no 2.4 cars over there due to the high cost and taxes in Greece ..

Pectel I agree, but Omex can be a nightmare with this set-up. I would rather go DTA.

I heard horror stories with the dta, but I suspect it was the operators screwing that up. Please explain in detail what problem you specifically had with an omex 710?

Rich

which is why there are no other cars based on it, why the platform is now dead, and why the grande punto and new bravo had to be started from scratch (although secretly the new bravo is a tweaked stilo platform hence the speed of development, but shhh ;), that tweaked stilo will be used for the 147 replacement). stilo was such a mistake fiat cant even use the name on a new car for fear it would put people off.

even wiki says "Critics also attacked the car's excessive weight and its semi-rigid rear axle which was seen as a step backwards from the acclaimed set-up used in the Bravo/Brava and which resulted in handling many found uninspired and uninvolving."

Haven't you contradicted yourself there a bit Jug, the new Bravo is Stilo based as will many of the new C-segment cars from Lancia and Alfa. People don't buy a car based on the underlying platform, they buy it for looks, space, comfort, equipment, safety etc. I don't think the downfall was the rear suspension arrangement and I'm sure you've driven one but it's nothing special and not awful. Its a mass market car designed for a price point and the simpler rear axle arrangements is cheap and simple unlike complex multi-link suspension arrangements. I think you'll probably find a Golf Mk5 has a very similar suspension arrangement to that of the Stilo.

The front arrangement on the stilo is a total disaster with regards to design without a decent strut and springs from standard that are prone to snapping and the car wallows like a drunk on corners ..there is also no camber adjustment on the struts and many members experience excessive tyre ware because of it even after having their car set up and aligned with laser equiptment ..where this might be ok on the lesser engined cars I think for the abarth this is unacceptable and to be honest fiat really missed the boat here with a car that carries the name abarth in its title..

The same capacity engine making the same power output the figure here is 220bhp, given one is N/A and one is turbo charged, then the forced induction car will have much more torque, much lower down the rev range and in real world will be more effortless to drive with out the need to ring its neck to get to the power. Look at how many manufacturers are going back to turbo technology because you can achieve as much power as a bigger engine but retain better fuel economy and emissions.

There is also the kudos factor of doing it mostly by yourself & therefore having a pretty unique car and not just giving money to others to do it for you which by reading the OP's thread figures highly in why he is doing it.

I heard horror stories with the dta, but I suspect it was the operators screwing that up. Please explain in detail what problem you specifically had with an omex 710?

Rich

I not saying Omex is a problem as such. It is just much harder to configure etc than the DTA.

If the DTA is in a horror story I much more believe that it is the victim rather than the culprit.

I'm coming to the end of my turbo conversion of my Stilo Abarth and all major alterations have been completed, I was thinking it would be pretty easy, but for a novice, it was a big learning curve.

Some might say why bother! It has been said just stick the 2.0L 20V Turbo lump in the Stilo! Which I could, but that's not what I wanted to do, I wanted a Fiat Stilo 2.4L 20V Turbo Abarth, which is how I think it should have come out of the factory??

I wanted to keep this a completely OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers), so it's taken some effort with cross referencing part-numbers between the Coupe 2.0L 20v Turbo and the Stlio.

I need help now, I notice that the 2.4 Stlio shares the same injectors as the normally aspirated coupe 2.0 20v and the 20v turbo's are different. Should I then fit the 20v Turbo injectors?

You have to do it. More air=more fuel or pistons get melted.

Another problem is the waste-gate electronic control solenoid as fitted as standard on the Coupe Turbo, it connects to the injector circuit unit, which I can't! so can I disregard this solenoid and fit a dump valve? If so, are there any that don't make a loud noise??

You have to do it. And you will need new ECU and or just use one from 20VT coupe. And you have to change mapsensor that give you +/- pressure reading for ECU not only below zero like in non turbo engines.

Sorry for my english :)

The same capacity engine making the same power output the figure here is 220bhp, given one is N/A and one is turbo charged, then the forced induction car will have much more torque, much lower down the rev range and in real world will be more effortless to drive with out the need to ring its neck to get to the power. Look at how many manufacturers are going back to turbo technology because you can achieve as much power as a bigger engine but retain better fuel economy and emissions.

There is also the kudos factor of doing it mostly by yourself & therefore having a pretty unique car and not just giving money to others to do it for you which by reading the OP's thread figures highly in why he is doing it.

That's exactly why I'm doing it, I think the Stilo Abarth should have come out of the factory with a turbo, so that's what I want and that's what I'm going to have, plus I've started the project now and posted what I'm doing on this forum, so I'm not going to stop now no matter what is said!

I really don't see the point why people want to tune a Coupe to over 400bhp when only being front wheel drive? However, if that's what they want to do, then so be it.

I'm enjoying doing all the work myself with some help from this forum! I may not know all what is required to do this project, but am very capable of either carrying out this work myself or if it's specalist, finding someone else to do it for me.

The 220bhp is what I believe the coupe puts out and is why i quoted this figure, if there is more then that's fine but I don't think front wheel drive vehicles need no more than 250bhp?

Before we start arguing which aftermarket ECU is 'better', the more important question is whether they can handle the CAN network?

A huge amount of data is sent via CAN, meaning the EFI ECU is an important link, for example- the vehicle speed is sent to the EFI from the ABS (without it many of the fuelling strategies are useless), almost all the info displayed on the instrument cluster is from the EFI via CAN (revs/water temp/oil temp and pressure/etc), and most important of all the Selespeed ECU needs a lot of info from the EFI management and is partly responsible for the motorised throttle parameters.

Any Stilo owner will tell you how important the CAN network is to the reliability of the vehicle running (connector D4 anyone? :cry:).

Personally I'd be looking into the 'piggy-back board' idea, granted it'll limit the future possibilities, but if you only want 220bhp it should be ok.

(y)

Haven't you contradicted yourself there a bit Jug, the new Bravo is Stilo based.
they arent using the stilo platform, they have redeveloped the stilo platform to make a completely new one, it is significantly different, they simply saved some time and money by starting with the stilo platform, due to budget constraints.

technically it is a new platform. the bravo platform will be used as the base for many new models, no one will say the stilo platform has been used, its been swept under the carpet.

Last edited:
Same difference, it's a platform that is based on and developed from that of the Stilo. Lets agree to disagree. :D

Sorry off track but I still maintain that the underlying platform had little to do with the failure of the Stilo. They tried to go German, styled from the dullard golf Mk4 and made it look even more dull.

I hope the new Bravo does well it deserves to, looks back on form.

How is the Turbo Stilo project going?????

must admit bravo has won me over, and i'm a very difficult person to impress :D
i think its given fiat a competitive boost in a very difficult sector, if build quality and reliability isnt a let down i think it will do wonders for the fiat badge.

Same difference, it's a platform that is based on and developed from that of the Stilo. Lets agree to disagree. :D

Sorry off track but I still maintain that the underlying platform had little to do with the failure of the Stilo. They tried to go German, styled from the dullard golf Mk4 and made it look even more dull.

How is the Turbo Stilo project going?????

Stilo project is going fine, just waiting for the remainder of the parts from fiats and torque italia, and I will putting it all back together for the final time.

Interested in the chassis issue, I was a parts-man for a ford dealership many many years ago, so I use parts catalogues and Cd's now to help me with my project. I've just looked at the new Bravo chassis components and find that of the fourteen members that make this chassis up, seven are used on the stilo. There is one more picture, but I can't seem to upload it?

Attachments

• naread1236.JPG
    naread1236.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 92
  • naread12598.JPG
    naread12598.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 89
A lot of the parts can be sourced secondhand with a few modifications, but I wanted it all new!! Oh, except the turbo, I bought this secondhand and reconditioned it.

It's not cheap if you want to do it all new, and you will need a decompression spacer which was £150.00, the sump is over £200.00, exhaust manifold £300.00, oil cooler radiator and take-off with pipes £350.00 etc. I will post a complete listing of what was needed and the cost when I have finished the project. So far I've done all the work myself, although being a novice on all new cars, I did do an apprenticeship at Fords for the first 5 years of my working life, but that was when MK3 Cortina were all the rage, giving away my age now!!

Just a quick update of what is required to carry out my project:

FIAT 20V TURBO COUPE EXHAUST MANIFOLD £300.00 NEW
FIAT COUPE 2.0L 20V TURBO UNIT £90.00 SECOND-HAND
FIAT STILO 1910 JTD AIR FILTER BOX COMPLETE £25.00 SECOND-HAND (same as the abarth but with the airflow meter position on the side rather than the top, uses the same filter)
FIAT STILO 1910 JTD INTERCOOLER £106.00 NEW
FIAT STILO AIR BOX PIPES AND INTERCOOLER PIPES £91.00 NEW
TORQUE ITALIA PISTONS AND RODS 8.5:1 £1,500.00 NEW
FIAT 20V 2.4L HEAD GASKET SET £103.00 NEW
SPA 30101516 RADIATOR FAN £98.21 NEW
LANCIA THESIS 2.0L 20V TURBO CAT DOWN PIPE £956.00 NEW (can't buy it aftermarket, where do fiat's get some of there prices from!!)
FIAT 20V TURBO OUTLET PLATE GASKET £5.00 NEW
LANCIA THESIS 2.0L 20V TURBO MANIFOLD PROTECTION £84.00 NEW
FIAT STILO 1910 JTD NEARSIDE FRONT BUMPER GRILL FOR INTERCOOLER£13.00 NEW
TURBO RECONDITIONING KIT £40.00 NEW
LANCIA THESIS 2.0L 20V TURBO PLENUM CHAMBER £255.00 NEW (allows fitting of the injection control unit on the back of the chamber, which the coupe does not)
FIAT COUPE OIL COOLER PICK-UP, RADIATOR, PIPES AND HOSES FOR TURBO ETC. £490.00 NEW
FIAT COUPE 2.0L 20V TURBO SUMP £250.00 NEW (just for an oil pick-up for the turbo)
COLOMBO & BARIANI MEDIUM ROAD CAMS £605.00 NEW TORQUE ITALIA ( could have just changed the inlet cam for the coupe turbo, but that's over £200.00 on its own, so what the hell)
FIAT STILO ABARTH BIG END BEARINGS £41.00 NEW
TORQUE ITALIA UP RATED WATER PUMP £45.00 NEW
CAM BELT AND PULLEYS £120.00 NEW
SCHUMACHER 2.4L 20V STILO GT TAIL BOX £200.00 SECOND-HAND (SUPER SPRINT)
TURBO SMART DUAL BOOST CONTROLER £160.00 NEW

Most of these parts can be sourced second-hand, which obviously be a hell of a lot cheaper, but can take some time, which I am running out off.

I did notice the big end horizontal movement, which someone mentioned in an earlier post, does seems rather a lot, but what do I know! is it not meant to have this?

Absolute fortune so far, but is good fun, think by the time I've finished, I could have bought an entry level new Bravo??

Back