Technical Fiat Panda 1.3 Multijet P0401 EGR Code

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Panda 1.3 Multijet P0401 EGR Code

Tenny24

Hello to everyone,on my 2004 1.3 Multijet Panda the check engine light appeard,and on diagnostics show that the error code is P0401 (EGR),problem with the EGR. The car goes normal,like before,no smoke,nothing has changed.Any ideas how to get rid of this? Thanks!

unfortunately not what you want to hear

The whole area will need a Good clean as well. Not a quick job. Not checked the price but if its under £20 I would change as a few people have just cleaned then had to go though the pain of doing it a weeks down the line

Last edited:
The DPF need the whole upstream system to be working correctly because any faults will increase smoke and clog the DPF more quickly.

If you suspect the DPF is faulty, first get a good look inside the inlet manifold. Car diesels driven gently and never given a clean-out run will collect carbon in the inlet manifold. The air flow restriction leads to smoke and DPF problems.
The DPF is there to trap exhaust particulates that have not been burnt by the engine via the EGR valve (yeah, Dave - Whatever). However the whole idea is an add-on bodge because diesel emission rules (based on mass of soot released) have led to invisible particles in the exhaust gas. These are incredibly microscopic and far more harmful to health than the bigger visible soot that used to be produced.

Anything upstream of the DPF (air filter to turbo) will cause more soot when its not working properly. The signs are DPF clogging faster. Everything has to be checked but the EGR valve is a common culprit.

Pretty common issue with the earlier MJ engines, but no DPF to worry about fortunately.

My EGR died.....started to run really rough at low revs.

You might get away with spraying some EGR cleaner into the intake.....although I wouldn't imagine it'd be a long term solution.

The EGR valve is a pig to get to.....so if you're going to go as far as taking it off to clean it, I'd seriously consider fitting a new one.

Or.....technically illegal (modifying emission control system), and some members on here are very anti......but you can block off the EGR valve and/or.....buy/make......an EGR simulator.

The above quoted thread shows how to do the wiring.....or on ebay there is a Polish seller who has a plug and play box that just plugs in and bypasses the EGR completely.

Pretty common issue with the earlier MJ engines, but no DPF to worry about fortunately.

My EGR died.....started to run really rough at low revs.

You might get away with spraying some EGR cleaner into the intake.....although I wouldn't imagine it'd be a long term solution.

The EGR valve is a pig to get to.....so if you're going to go as far as taking it off to clean it, I'd seriously consider fitting a new one.

Or.....technically illegal (modifying emission control system), and some members on here are very anti......but you can block off the EGR valve and/or.....buy/make......an EGR simulator.

The above quoted thread shows how to do the wiring.....or on ebay there is a Polish seller who has a plug and play box that just plugs in and bypasses the EGR completely.
do you know if its normally solenoid or valve ?

Best I can see for both new with gaskets is £32 or best offer so I guess if you offered £28 they would counter with £30 free post. Didn't read it all. Hopefully the description matches the photo

I dont like guessing but being a pig to get to £30 might be worth a punt on getting both before stripping ?

although i might just sit in the fence till the weather warms up and hope its just a glitch but in my experience of egr on petrol cars is they gradually get worse.

do you know if its normally solenoid or valve ?

Best I can see for both new with gaskets is £32 or best offer so I guess if you offered £28 they would counter with £30 free post. Didn't read it all. Hopefully the description matches the photo

I dont like guessing but being a pig to get to £30 might be worth a punt on getting both before stripping ?

although i might just sit in the fence till the weather warms up and hope its just a glitch but in my experience of egr on petrol cars is they gradually get worse.
The valve fills with crud meaning it doesn't open correctly or as easy as it should this will put extra strain on the solanoid so I'd definitely be looking into getting a complete replacement

I have not looked closely at MJ EGR valve but a common fix since this things came into existence (thing California "Smog Valve" was to fit a blank gasket under the valve.

The Panda front bumper is (or should be) easy to remove. It's worth doing anyway so that sheared or seized bolts can be cleaned "greased" and otherwise properly sorted out.

This will sound OTT but humour me (and it doesn't apply if you have air conditioning).
Remove bumper​
Drain coolant into clean tray and decant for re use (unless it's old = replace anyway. The QD hose coupling almost certainly will not play ball so cut the crimped clamps and fit worm-drive clips.​
Remove radiator complete with support frame (another easy job).​
You now have extremely good access to the front (side?) of the engine.​

You also have the chance to deal with any developing issues before they become a problem.

Last edited:
Back