Fiat forum is skint ish ( not really but donation be good)

Currently reading:
Fiat forum is skint ish ( not really but donation be good)

Thats me :slayer:

Pretty sure one of them was me.:D

Not read the whole thread but could we not have an annual donation thing? Perhaps a PM to all members on the list - "donate now to continue posting"?
or "donate now to keep the forum going"?
I don't know what the stats are like but would a compulsory £5 from everyone once per year be better than bits and pieces from a few?

S'alright - (and just donated again because you thanked me - but don't push it! :D)

thanks again.
ben wont like the idea of sending out pms asking for money, he didn't even like it when i made this thread :eek: he prefers to let people make their own mind up if they want to donate and pay all the short falls for running costs out of his own pocket.
some people are really good with the donations and donate even if the forum hasn't saved them any money, but there are some others i notice that have been here years and have saved a fortune in garage bills thanks to other members, but haven't even put in a penny :(

thanks again.
ben wont like the idea of sending out pms asking for money, he didn't even like it when i made this thread :eek: he prefers to let people make their own mind up if they want to donate and pay all the short falls for running costs out of his own pocket.
some people are really good with the donations and donate even if the forum hasn't saved them any money, but there are some others i notice that have been here years and have saved a fortune in garage bills thanks to other members, but haven't even put in a penny :(

I see nothing wrong in asking for a regular donation to help towards the upkeep of the site & there is no-way should he be paying a shortfall out of his own pocket when there are members who haven't paid a penny.
£5 per year is nothing really. Maybe the whole site should be free to view front page but to view any threads should be via annual subs? - people can see if their problem has been asked & how many answers there were but can't view the answers or post a question until they have donated.

Why not have a £10 a year subscription that gives you advert free browsing of the site. Once the wee bit of codings done (there's probably already a VB mod for it) it would costs nowt to administer. I for one would sign up :)

Why not have a £10 a year subscription that gives you advert free browsing of the site. Once the wee bit of codings done (there's probably already a VB mod for it) it would costs nowt to administer. I for one would sign up :)

TBH, the adverts don't bother me but I'd consider £10 pa to be OK, perhaps if that £10 also bought a small 'trinket' such as a key fob, supermarket trolley coin thing, cheapo LED key fob torch (there's a whole raft of tat available that can be printed with corporate logos - I'm forever on the lookout for pens as mine seem to vanish into the depths of the OH's purse.) etc or maybe offer £2 off FF goodies with the subs - You pay £10 then choose - free pen or £2 off ?

To be fair you can always just get AdBlock for Chrome or Firefox, which is free, I am not sure I that paying for an ad-free forum is that much of an incentive? Access to other forums, and extra storage (like we already have) but £5 per year? And perhaps more shop items like other guys said pens, key fobs etc? but with a decent margin to help out?

people should have more morals, if you have saved tens/hundreds even thousands of pounds all thanks to a complete stranger who has donated her/his time for free to answer your question(s) and save you money then you shouldn't have to be asked to donate but do it automatically.

All this information (not just answering questions but diagrams/downloads, radio codes, events etc) comes at the expensive of other peoples hard work, time & money remember so to all you selfish people (you know who you are, we all do and that includes all you garages that come on here looking for help fixing customers cars) help out with the running of the forum or your lose it and have to go back to 'yahoo answers'! (god forbid:rolleyes:)

people should have more morals, if you have saved tens/hundreds even thousands of pounds all thanks to a complete stranger who has donated her/his time for free to answer your question(s) and save you money then you shouldn't have to be asked to donate but do it automatically.

All this information (not just answering questions but diagrams/downloads, radio codes, events etc) comes at the expensive of other peoples hard work, time & money remember so to all you selfish people (you know who you are, we all do and that includes all you garages that come on here looking for help fixing customers cars) help out with the running of the forum or your lose it and have to go back to 'yahoo answers'! (god forbid:rolleyes:)

OK, so. underneath our avatar we have a banner saying if we have donated. How about those with the knowledge don't impart said knowledge to members who have yet to donate?
tweak the site so that all pages beyond page 1 can only be accessed by donating members, that way, anyone looking for info that has already been answered can be directed to search the archives (which they can only do after donating).

And, dare I say, we are on the run up to Christmas - so how about getting some tat printed up? Perhaps see what's out there & do a poll to see what people would buy as stocking fillers.

(Colour changing mug, Fiat Forum when cold, I love my [insert car] when hot :D)

Let the poll run for a few weeks then ask people to order.

OK, so. underneath our avatar we have a banner saying if we have donated. How about those with the knowledge don't impart said knowledge to members who have yet to donate?
tweak the site so that all pages beyond page 1 can only be accessed by donating members, that way, anyone looking for info that has already been answered can be directed to search the archives (which they can only do after donating).

And, dare I say, we are on the run up to Christmas - so how about getting some tat printed up? Perhaps see what's out there & do a poll to see what people would buy as stocking fillers.

(Colour changing mug, Fiat Forum when cold, I love my [insert car] when hot :D)

Let the poll run for a few weeks then ask people to order.

I dont like forums that want money with the promise of info/help
Im all for adding features, access to extra parts etc
but the core of the forum should be open to all

I think donating is a great idea... Id have already donated but the fact im 17 and can't have paypal untill 18 then I can't manage it...

£10 P/A sounds really well priced...

With the £10 payment I think we should get a members package with some cheap crap like a pen :p

Even better would be a few FiatForum stickers :p

Perhaps a booklet or something else aswell?

This is definatly the way forward, I've seen so many other car forums do this sort of thing and it works out really well. :rolleyes:

I think donating is a great idea... Id have already donated but the fact im 17 and can't have paypal untill 18 then I can't manage it...

£10 P/A sounds really well priced...

With the £10 payment I think we should get a members package with some cheap crap like a pen :p

Even better would be a few FiatForum stickers :p

Perhaps a booklet or something else aswell?

This is definatly the way forward, I've seen so many other car forums do this sort of thing and it works out really well. :rolleyes:

but £10 minus the cost of the pen,sticker,postage,PP fee's,time
so you would probably be 'losing' 50% of that

Colour changing mug

:eek: I want one!

I dont like forums that want money with the promise of info/help

its not the 'promise' of help, also I mentioned 'morals'. No one is forced to pay or even asked to pay because they should have decent morals in the first place. More and more people cant even be bothered to post on forum and just PM you for answers:rolleyes:

Often I get offered a few quid by some old boy for changing a bulb or helping him out (I politely decline of course, thats what wages are for) so the princable here is the money was offered without asking for it. The old guy was therefore being polite and aknowledging the help given.

Sadly all too often we see posts like this appearing;

'my car iz doin my hed in and wont start my m8 haz garage and sez its the engin so i want 2 kno wots rong wit it u guys are the experts so wots rong and how much 2 fix'

No mention of a 'please' or a 'thank you' but for some reason people think they have the god given right to answers...a little politeness and manners go along way!

Back