Technical Fiat ECU Scan

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat ECU Scan

steveoz

Hi All,

I've been reading about fiat ECU scan and I've seen quite a few kits with either the VAG vom lead or the ELM lead and the various adapters for Airbag / ECU etc.

I'm just looking for a compatible kit that will read / clear fault codes and be able to reset the service indicator (I've just ordered up the service parts which I intend to do over xmas / new year period to the wife's car and have found out that I can not reset the service indicator).

Could someone please in a nutshell that has used one or is in the know tell me which kit I require?

Many thanks,

Hey Steveoz, I too was looking to buy something to reset the service indicator. On my 500, Service indicator appeared @ 30000K's. Did my own service. At 31000K's the service indicator disappeared. Now sitting on 45000K's and done a couple of services since and no more service indicators. :D Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

How bizarre! Perhaps it gets bored of reminding lol :)

The parts just turned up today - amazing considering I only ordered yesterday afternoon and it's heading toward xmas!

I'm going to service it over the next week, but was hoping to stop it from popping up with 'Service Coupon Expired' for the other half.

Cheers,

http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/goods.php?id=10013905&utm_source=gbuk

Look for something that says ELM327 1.4 or upwards such as the above (which i have).

You may need to modify the lead that plugs into the OBD port slightly to allow selection of which pins you need to use. (See FIATECUSCAN site for more info)

I've used a DPDT switch for the very purpose and the ODB lead has enough space to add it on.

Sadly after moving I cant find but once I do I'll add some pics.

ELM cable the right one to get for the 500 and Panda? I got the VAG cable for use with the old Brava and Stilo but something from memory tells me I read that the VAG cable can do damage on the Panda and 500 ?
So for that reason i've never attempted to us it.

ELM cable the right one to get for the 500 and Panda? I got the VAG cable for use with the old Brava and Stilo but something from memory tells me I read that the VAG cable can do damage on the Panda and 500 ?

Yes - ELM327 cable required for 500, not KKL.

See the supported vehicles list on the MultiECUScan website. In addition to the ELM327 cable, you'll need the adapter described there (can be made from a plug and socket with appropriate wiring).

-Alex

I've never heard that. Used out ELM and KKL leads on both of our mk3 Pandas, Stilo and my Bravo without issue.

Yes - ELM327 cable required for 500, not KKL.

I thought it all depends what you need to do, one lead does certain ECUs (EPS & Airbag etc) and the other does the rest :confused:

Except for the airbag looks like I need to use the paid version of the software to access everything on my 1.4.
Panda 1.2 is okay though

Peter, I have a Maxiscan, but it didnt help with my 500. I had to buy Multiecuscan (which, incidentally, is great).

Unless they have upgraded the Maxi, it would be a waste of the OP's money.

Thanks for all of the brilliant info guys, as it happens I put the car in for her first MOT on Wednesday and she passed, I got the chap to reset the service light for me, he did charge me £33.00 for the privilege though! If I'd have known he was going to charge me that I would have bought the kit, never mind it's done now.

Still going to by the cable after xmas though so I appreciate all of your input :)

Thanks for all of the brilliant info guys, as it happens I put the car in for her first MOT on Wednesday and she passed, I got the chap to reset the service light for me, he did charge me £33.00 for the privilege though! If I'd have known he was going to charge me that I would have bought the kit, never mind it's done now.

Still going to by the cable after xmas though so I appreciate all of your input :)

You won't regret it, if you ever have a FIAT or Alfa Romeo (or Lancia) to look after in the future... :)

To clear up a small point mentioned earlier: ELM327 is the newer-style interface required for the FIAT 500, Grande Punto, Panda, etc. - basically everything of the Stilo's age and newer - because it is capable of connecting to the body computer or the instrument panel, that is what I meant when I said it was required for the 500 (I assumed we were still talking about resetting the service interval).

KKL (VAG-COM-type cable), often translucent blue, is useful mostly for pre-CAN bus vehicles older than a Stilo. Each ECU tends to have its own pin in the FIAT/Alfa connector, but the KKL cable has only pin 7 connected. Therefore, it is necessary to bridge pin 7 to various other pins (1, 3, 9... etc.) to connect to various ECUs. Typically, people modify the plug, as the pins are easily accessed and soldered to. The danger is that plugging such a bridged cable (specifically with a bridge from pin 1 to pin 9) into a newer-type vehicle (500, Panda, etc.) will short out the CAN bus, which may cause confusion and damage. Note that Most Easterly Pandas probably has an un-modified KKL cable or at least a KKL cable without a bridge to pin 9. This point is explained in red text on the 'Supported vehicles' page (http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx)

It's true that the KKL cable will work with the 500 for some functions, but the ELM327 cable will work for all functions.

I also find that the ELM327 is more reliable because it has its own signal timing generator, where the KKL cable is affected by the latency of USB ports - on laptops, these can be quite dodgy. For the record, FIATECUSCAN with KKL wouldn't work at all for me on a Sempron Compaq/HP laptop or my ASUS Eee PC, but worked fine once I had a 'full strength' HP laptop with i7 processor.

There are three possible adapter cables required in addition to the ELM327, which can be made up by wiring together plugs and sockets as shown on the right-hand side of the 'Compatible Vehicles' list. Note that Adapter 1 bridges 1, 7, 9, and 12, and therefore can't be used on the 500, Grande Punto, Panda etc.

To make the adapters, I find that wrecked Alfa 156s are a good source of OBD sockets, as the 156 socket is on flying leads rather than integrated into the fusebox. I suppose it is faintly ridiculous that three 156s have to die to furnish one's toolbox with a complete set of adapters... Plugs can be bought easily. Perhaps I can find new sockets somewhere too.

EDIT: Well, this is by far the easiest way - costs about the same as ONE plug bought locally... and you get all three adapters, with colour-coding for easy recognition (open Gendan style :D): http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FESCBL.html

I think it speaks volumes that Gendan - a leader in diagnostic gear - is selling MultiECUScan.

Anyway, to be safe, I start with my 'new' ELM327 cable first, which is useful even on older vehicles for engine and transmission ECUs. I use the KKL cable for other older applications, such as airbag ECUs (pin 3). The software simply won't allow you to use the ELM327 for some older applications, nor will it use the KKL for many newer applications.

I also think it is better to make up adapter cables, rather than modify the plug, because then you can be certain that you are plugging an un-bridged cable into the newer cars (avoiding the risk mentioned above). Alexh365's method of using a switch is good too except for two hazards: (i) the switch has to be positioned carefully, or it will impede the fitting of the plug into some of the more deep-set sockets out there. (ii) you would have to be very certain that the switch position was correct before plugging into the car. For the technician in a hurry it is probably easier to identify the adapter cable, rather than the switch position.

Have fun! It's very helpful being able to get your car to share its feelings...

-Alex

Last edited:
You won't regret it, if you ever have a FIAT or Alfa Romeo (or Lancia) to look after in the future... :)

To clear up a small point mentioned earlier: ELM327 is the newer-style interface required for the FIAT 500, Grande Punto, Panda, etc. - basically everything of the Stilo's age and newer - because it is capable of connecting to the body computer or the instrument panel, that is what I meant when I said it was required for the 500 (I assumed we were still talking about resetting the service interval).

KKL (VAG-COM-type cable), often translucent blue, is useful mostly for pre-CAN bus vehicles older than a Stilo. Each ECU tends to have its own pin in the FIAT/Alfa connector, but the KKL cable has only pin 7 connected. Therefore, it is necessary to bridge pin 7 to various other pins (1, 3, 9... etc.) to connect to various ECUs. Typically, people modify the plug, as the pins are easily accessed and soldered to. The danger is that plugging such a bridged cable (specifically with a bridge from pin 1 to pin 9) into a newer-type vehicle (500, Panda, etc.) will short out the CAN bus, which may cause confusion and damage. Note that Most Easterly Pandas probably has an un-modified KKL cable or at least a KKL cable without a bridge to pin 9. This point is explained in red text on the 'Supported vehicles' page (http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx)

It's true that the KKL cable will work with the 500 for some functions, but the ELM327 cable will work for all functions.

I also find that the ELM327 is more reliable because it has its own signal timing generator, where the KKL cable is affected by the latency of USB ports - on laptops, these can be quite dodgy. For the record, FIATECUSCAN with KKL wouldn't work at all for me on a Sempron Compaq/HP laptop or my ASUS Eee PC, but worked fine once I had a 'full strength' HP laptop with i7 processor.

There are three possible adapter cables required in addition to the ELM327, which can be made up by wiring together plugs and sockets as shown on the right-hand side of the 'Compatible Vehicles' list. Note that Adapter 1 bridges 1, 7, 9, and 12, and therefore can't be used on the 500, Grande Punto, Panda etc.

To make the adapters, I find that wrecked Alfa 156s are a good source of OBD sockets, as the 156 socket is on flying leads rather than integrated into the fusebox. I suppose it is faintly ridiculous that three 156s have to die to furnish one's toolbox with a complete set of adapters... Plugs can be bought easily. Perhaps I can find new sockets somewhere too.

EDIT: Well, this is by far the easiest way - costs about the same as ONE plug bought locally... and you get all three adapters, with colour-coding for easy recognition (open Gendan style :D): http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FESCBL.html

I think it speaks volumes that Gendan - a leader in diagnostic gear - is selling MultiECUScan.

Anyway, to be safe, I start with my 'new' ELM327 cable first, which is useful even on older vehicles for engine and transmission ECUs. I use the KKL cable for other older applications, such as airbag ECUs (pin 3). The software simply won't allow you to use the ELM327 for some older applications, nor will it use the KKL for many newer applications.

I also think it is better to make up adapter cables, rather than modify the plug, because then you can be certain that you are plugging an un-bridged cable into the newer cars (avoiding the risk mentioned above). Alexh365's method of using a switch is good too except for two hazards: (i) the switch has to be positioned carefully, or it will impede the fitting of the plug into some of the more deep-set sockets out there. (ii) you would have to be very certain that the switch position was correct before plugging into the car. For the technician in a hurry it is probably easier to identify the adapter cable, rather than the switch position.

Have fun! It's very helpful being able to get your car to share its feelings...

-Alex

Fantastic info Alex(y), really appreciate you taking the time to write this up :)

Have a great xmas all.

Agreed alex, the switch needs to be positioned ideally away from the connector end.

Choosing the switch position first isn't too much of an issue though as its just switching between the two CAN networks. Get the wrong one and all you'll get is a connection error, basically because it will try and communicate with a node that isn't there.

Nothings being bridged with my method as the DPDT switch either connects to 1 and 9 or 6 and 14. I'm not sure the same is true with the various adapter cables though.

If I ever find where tempz has tidyed up (hidden) mine ill take it apart and post some pictures.

All of the FIAT 500 control units are either connectable by plain ELM (6 and 14) or ELMC19 (1 and 9). Excluding the xenon lights.

Nothings being bridged with my method as the DPDT switch either connects to 1 and 9 or 6 and 14. I'm not sure the same is true with the various adapter cables though.

If I ever find where tempz has tidyed up (hidden) mine ill take it apart and post some pictures.

All of the FIAT 500 control units are either connectable by plain ELM (6 and 14) or ELMC19 (1 and 9). Excluding the xenon lights.

Thanks for explaining :) Sounds an ideal solution for the 500.

For a mixture of old and new cars, I think the adapter leads are still the way to go.

-Alex

Agreed alex, the switch needs to be positioned ideally away from the connector end.

Choosing the switch position first isn't too much of an issue though as its just switching between the two CAN networks. Get the wrong one and all you'll get is a connection error, basically because it will try and communicate with a node that isn't there.

I haven't even touched it!!!!

Couple of pics so folks can roughly see how my ELM cable has been modified to allow selection of either 6/14 or 1/9.

The soldering needs re-doing. Its functional but not pretty.

Last edited:
Alex, any interest in making up a few with a switch for sale? I carry the 3 cables around with me but this looks like a much easier solution.

Back