Technical Fiat ducato 2.0jtd no acceleration / revving

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat ducato 2.0jtd no acceleration / revving

Italiandriver

Any ideas the power just went. Showing throttle sensor fault. Changed pedal and sensor still the same throttle housing butterfly is moving fine. Is there another sensor on the engine? Or what can it be. Been stuck 6 weeks it's 2002/3 model motorhome

May be irrelevant but some owners have had a problem in the wiring from the throttle sensor behind the dashboard and earthing issues also.
So it may be worth doing a search on here for those who have experienced it.

I did a quick search and can't find what I meant either, but it was related to a wiring issue from the accelerator pedal to a connector behind the dash board, perhaps another member can recall or help.

Any ideas the power just went. Showing throttle sensor fault. Changed pedal and sensor still the same throttle housing butterfly is moving fine. Is there another sensor on the engine? Or what can it be. Been stuck 6 weeks it's 2002/3 model motorhome
To summarise we have an x244 2.0jtd that does not respond to the accelerator pedal input.
There are fault codes relating to the accelerator?? input.
I suggest supplying full details of codes read.

"the power just went" - Does this mean while driving, or after of being unused.

The earlier faulty wiring theory relates I think to the problems with the x230 model. On the x244, the accelerator potentiometer connections are made via connector D004A, which is, I believe located under the engine bay fuseboard, but within the housing. Worth checking below fuseboard for any signs of water damage. Disconnect battery negative if investigating in there.

Another possible cause of the problem is internally corroded wiring. From memory, this has been discovered on at least one Ducato. This can be eliminated by checking the wiring for continuity, but I think that it should be possible to read the accelerator potentiometer output voltages with MES.

For interest only, I think that the following post made today by @Bixxer relates to the problem that @bugsymike , and myself were considering earlier. A 2001 2.8jtd will be an x230 model.

"Mine is a 5 speed 2.8jtd 2001 model. It started dropping to idle with no warning, would restart with no problems, then continue for 30-50 miles before doing it again. I suspected the throttle sensor so I replaced that bit it made no difference. After many long evenings trawling the Internet I found a likely solution. A Fiat mechanic stated that behind the glove box is a 5 or 6 pin connector. It will check out fine for continuity with a multimeter, but it IS the problem. Cut it out and solder the pairs of wires together. I did, and it worked. No idea why, but it's fixed."

To summarise we have an x244 2.0jtd that does not respond to the accelerator pedal input.
There are fault codes relating to the accelerator?? input.
I suggest supplying full details of codes read.

"the power just went" - Does this mean while driving, or after of being unused.

The earlier faulty wiring theory relates I think to the problems with the x230 model. On the x244, the accelerator potentiometer connections are made via connector D004A, which is, I believe located under the engine bay fuseboard, but within the housing. Worth checking below fuseboard for any signs of water damage. Disconnect battery negative if investigating in there.

Another possible cause of the problem is internally corroded wiring. From memory, this has been discovered on at least one Ducato. This can be eliminated by checking the wiring for continuity, but I think that it should be possible to read the accelerator potentiometer output voltages with MES.
The fault code just was the throttle sensor one. Itstopped working while I drove up our driveway suddenly lost power and engine management light went on.luckily it would move back on idle without throttle. It had no symptoms before this and was being used regularly.my mechanic friend checked currents which all seemed fine.. will look at those fuses. The box appears clean and still has the original cover over the box. Will photograph tomorrow. Have to work this out as no mechanics will come and do the work most just say fiat .. run .

The fault code just was the throttle sensor one. Itstopped working while I drove up our driveway suddenly lost power and engine management light went on.luckily it would move back on idle without throttle. It had no symptoms before this and was being used regularly.my mechanic friend checked currents which all seemed fine.. will look at those fuses. The box appears clean and still has the original cover over the box. Will photograph tomorrow. Have to work this out as no mechanics will come and do the work most just say fiat .. run .
12:46 PM

14.3 VO FIAT/ABARTH/ALFA ROMEO/LANCIA V37.00 > Manually Select > FIAT > DUCATO

All (except for the above mentioned year model) > DUCATO (244) > System Select >2.0 JTD> Diesel Bosch EDC15 CF3 Injection (Eng. 2.0/2.3/2.8)

Accelerator Pedal Sensor 1

P0120

?

Diesel Filter Heating Relay

P1612
?

For interest only, I think that the following post made today by @Bixxer relates to the problem that @bugsymike , and myself were considering earlier. A 2001 2.8jtd will be an x230 model.

"Mine is a 5 speed 2.8jtd 2001 model. It started dropping to idle with no warning, would restart with no problems, then continue for 30-50 miles before doing it again. I suspected the throttle sensor so I replaced that bit it made no difference. After many long evenings trawling the Internet I found a likely solution. A Fiat mechanic stated that behind the glove box is a 5 or 6 pin connector. It will check out fine for continuity with a multimeter, but it IS the problem. Cut it out and solder the pairs of wires together. I did, and it worked. No idea why, but it's fixed."
Just to be clear, the connector that was removed joins the throttle sensor to the ECU.

Just to be clear, the connector that was removed joins the throttle sensor to the ECU.
The throttle and sensor were replaced from the driver's seat. The throttle itself seems to be opening and closing. Is there another throttle sensor on the engine? Wiring etc seems very clean on the van to be fair. Though has needed welding in the past but mechanically it's been ok apart from new clutch starter and diesel pump in tank.no water ingress in fuse boxes. It's doing my head in . Looked behind glove compartment and no plugs there. So need details for engine type 244 2.0 jtd. Cannot understand why this is so complicated . Don't have this with my mercs or Alfas

@Italiandriver ,

From your post #17, above, you have a basic lack of understanding of your engine. The physical throttle that you have been looking at is part of the EGR system, and is in no way the equivalent of a petrol engine throttle. It does not directly control the power output of the engine, To put it simply, pressing the accelerator pedal instructs the ECU to inject more fuel, which increases the output.

In posts in #11 & #12 above, I suugested that the faulty connector problem was not relevant to the x244. In ignoring this, you have involved yourself in needless work.

You have reported a fault code indicating that throttle sensor is faulty, but that could includes the connectors at accelerator, and at the ECU, as well as connector D004A, which I have previously mentioned. I suggest that you check voltages at the accelerator pedal sensor by back probing the connector, with the system live. You could use special needle probes, or alternatively I have read of upholstery "T" pins being used. You have previously mentioned "currents" being checked. Perhaps this is a misnomer for voltages. What are the readings, and where were they taken?

Before you proceed further, the ECU has to be happy with the accelerator sensor inputs.

I am attaching the Fiat eLearn description for the 2.0jtd fuel system., which is a long file. Details of accelerator sensors are included towards the end.

Other possible causes of sudden power loss include, sticking clutch pedal switch, and problems with the turbo vacuum modulating valve, including vacuum hose connections. I cannot see that thes would cause an accelerator sensor fault code.

This information and much more, is available in eLearn for the x244, which runs on a Windows computer, and is available in the forum downloads section.

Attachments

• 2.0jtd Fuel System.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
@Italiandriver ,

From your post #17, above, you have a basic lack of understanding of your engine. The physical throttle that you have been looking at is part of the EGR system, and is in no way the equivalent of a petrol engine throttle. It does not directly control the power output of the engine, To put it simply, pressing the accelerator pedal instructs the ECU to inject more fuel, which increases the output.

In posts in #11 & #12 above, I suugested that the faulty connector problem was not relevant to the x244. In ignoring this, you have involved yourself in needless work.

You have reported a fault code indicating that throttle sensor is faulty, but that could includes the connectors at accelerator, and at the ECU, as well as connector D004A, which I have previously mentioned. I suggest that you check voltages at the accelerator pedal sensor by back probing the connector, with the system live. You could use special needle probes, or alternatively I have read of upholstery "T" pins being used. You have previously mentioned "currents" being checked. Perhaps this is a misnomer for voltages. What are the readings, and where were they taken?

Before you proceed further, the ECU has to be happy with the accelerator sensor inputs.

I am attaching the Fiat eLearn description for the 2.0jtd fuel system., which is a long file. Details of accelerator sensors are included towards the end.

Other possible causes of sudden power loss include, sticking clutch pedal switch, and problems with the turbo vacuum modulating valve, including vacuum hose connections. I cannot see that thes would cause an accelerator sensor fault code.

This information and much more, is available in eLearn for the x244, which runs on a Windows computer, and is available in the forum downloads section.
I had a mechanic check voltages at the accelerator and throughout points. Changed the pedal and sensor myself before this after another mechanic advised me to do so.. mechanics here are pretty unreliable so trying to work this out myself. I am not familiar with this engine as used to deal with the 2.5 oldies then have moved on to mercedes whom seem to be easier and so much more to read etc online. Thank you I'll try and read the info and think I'll remove the ECU and get it tested one thing to check out a yes it's working or no it needs a repair. Sick of it being on the drive wasting money. Thinking buying this was such a bad move, though was running fine on 5 trips out.

Back