Technical Fiat Doblo 263 1.3 - No oil pressure when hot after new pump/timing [HELP NEEDED]

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Doblo 263 1.3 - No oil pressure when hot after new pump/timing [HELP NEEDED]

JamesDM

Hi,

Starting to get sick of this van now! I've just replaced the timing chain kit, oil pump and water pump it was fine for probably two weeks then I started to get oil pressure warnings when going from 70MPH down to stopping at a slip road

I was able to rectify it by turning it off, letting it sit for a minute or two and starting it again, which resolved the issue it only happened twice, but now it's happening regularly where the revs dropping down to 1,500 and below is giving the low oil pressure light the engine and turbo felt extremely warm when I opened the bonnet.

It also used to happen when putting it under load and then stopping but if you drove softly it was fine at 70MPH but it's really worse now.

I just had a new switch today starting to think the crankshaft bearings are knackered; not sure what else to do or test. I assume the crankshaft bearings + shells etc is a huge job and very costly?

Hi,

Starting to get sick of this van now! I've just replaced the timing chain kit, oil pump and water pump it was fine for probably two weeks then I started to get oil pressure warnings when going from 70MPH down to stopping at a slip road

I was able to rectify it by turning it off, letting it sit for a minute or two and starting it again, which resolved the issue it only happened twice, but now it's happening regularly where the revs dropping down to 1,500 and below is giving the low oil pressure light the engine and turbo felt extremely warm when I opened the bonnet.

It also used to happen when putting it under load and then stopping but if you drove softly it was fine at 70MPH but it's really worse now.

I just had a new switch today starting to think the crankshaft bearings are knackered; not sure what else to do or test. I assume the crankshaft bearings + shells etc is a huge job and very costly?
Oil strainer/pickup blocked in the sump for the pump?

Oil strainer/pickup blocked in the sump for the pump?

I will ask the garage in the morning it seems to be getting worse when hot I would of thought they'd of checked when they replaced the pump.

I assume it's a case of just removing the sump to check?

Probably only fitted pump . As sump off to fit strainer longer dirtier job. Trust no bearing noises:(
1668546669772.png

Would the sump of had to come off for the water pump/timing chain? Is it possible to buy a new strainer too?
I did the timing chain on daughters 06 Grande Punto 1.3 multijet about 5 years ago, but I honestly can't remember, I am sure others on the Forum can advise.

So, crankshaft bearings are worn engine is as good as scrap will need to get a new one I guess not sure where to start with it lol.

So, crankshaft bearings are worn engine is as good as scrap will need to get a new one I guess not sure where to start with it lol.
If you check on wikipedia the 1.3 multijet engine is used on several different makes so a s/h engine should be readily available. Fiat , Chrysler Vauxhall etc.
By the way was the oil strainer blocked?

What mileage have you got, why did you change the pumps and chain originally?

98k was on 97k when changed it, changed as not sure on history of vehicle.
Did you find out what was causing the problem with the oil pressure?
I'm experiencing something similar....your fed back would be appreciated.

Did you find out what was causing the problem with the oil pressure?
I'm experiencing something similar....your fed back would be appreciated.

Yeah, the problem was the bottom end of the engine was worn, had to get a new engine in the end.

When the engine hot does the oil pressure light go off when you rev the engine slightly to say 1k / 1,100 rpms?

Yeah, the problem was the bottom end of the engine was worn, had to get a new engine in the end.

When the engine hot does the oil pressure light go off when you rev the engine slightly to say 1k / 1,100 rpms?
Thank you for getting back to me....When I start up the light stays on at 800 RPM. It goes out when I rev up and stays off when it goes back to idle speed. Also, when driving oil light stays off until the revs drop down when I take my foot off the pedal. I'm not sure if it could be the oil pump or a filthy strainer. I don't hear any loud noise...engine seems to tick over ok!!!

So a bit more than a "diesel knock" :(.
An experienced mechanic should be able to diagnose if big end or main bearings worn / knocking.
Just a small suggestion, on those multijet engines it is not unknown for the injectors to leak diesel into the sump watering down the engine oil and in extreme cases causing "running on/away" . It may be possible to feel/smell the oil for consistancy if oil thin it could cause oil light to come on at low engine speeds and bearing rattle.
New oil and filter as a start?

An experienced mechanic should be able to diagnose if big end or main bearings worn / knocking.
Just a small suggestion, on those multijet engines it is not unknown for the injectors to leak diesel into the sump watering down the engine oil and in extreme cases causing "running on/away" . It may be possible to feel/smell the oil for consistancy if oil thin it could cause oil light to come on at low engine speeds and bearing rattle.
I had a service done before Christmas, Oil and filter changed. I notice that they used 10W40 and the recommended is 5W40!! Would that make any difference? I had noticed that the oil light came on more often and erratic and that prompted me to replace the oil sensor! The oil light situation improved but still indicating Low Oil Pressure as per my reply to JamesDM.

I had a service done before Christmas, Oil and filter changed. I notice that they used 10W40 and the recommended is 5W40!! Would that make any difference? I had noticed that the oil light came on more often and erratic and that prompted me to replace the oil sensor! The oil light situation improved but still indicating Low Oil Pressure as per my reply to JamesDM.

Everything you described was what I also had like @bugsymike said a decent mechanic should be able to diagnose it for you but i’d put my money on the bottom end being worn tbh

Everything you described was what I also had like @bugsymike said a decent mechanic should be able to diagnose it for you but i’d put my money on the bottom end being worn tbh
Thanks for the fed back, very much appreciated. At least I have a clearer picture.....finding a decent mechanic here who will give a fair assessment is the million dollar question!!!!

Thanks for the fed back, very much appreciated. At least I have a clearer picture.....finding a decent mechanic here who will give a fair assessment is the million dollar question!!!!

If you've been driving around and idling with the oil pressure light coming on the chances are you've already done damage, unfortunately, have you checked for metal in the oil filter at all?

Hey Mike! I did three oil and filter changes in total and had metal in the filter I did try using a thicker oil as some have said it helped and it did help a little but didn't fix the issue.

The injectors leaking is very handy to know, thanks!

Back