Technical Fiat dealership is a rip off. Need DIY tips for brake lights, bluetooth and battery range.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat dealership is a rip off. Need DIY tips for brake lights, bluetooth and battery range.

JenLAelectricFiat

I have an older 2014 Fiat electric which is starting to have issues. I have a history of getting ripped off at the Fiat dealer due to my ignorance of cars. Need to educate myself as I have no money to spare.

1) My brake light warning has come on 3 x in past 6 months. I had the left and right bulb replaced recently, so what else can it be? Fiat dealer charged me $65 to replace the bulb and dealer is far away. Someone told me to replace a fuse? But where is the fuse box and where do I buy a fuse?

2) The bluetooth has failed and dealer wants $1500 to repair. This car will be obsolete in a few years. Not a good investment. Any other options?

3) The previous owner let this car sit during pandemic, thus degrading the battery range to 35 miles per charge! The last 2013 Fiat I had was better on every level but, unfortunately, a reckless driver totaled that car. I bought this as a replacement from a dealer. It's too old to be covered under lemon law. An attorney told me they could argue it's 'natural wear and tear' not a 'defect'. Sigh.

4) The passenger door only opens from the inside, outside handle doesn't work. What is a fair price to repair this? Or should I let this repair go?

I have only had this car 2 years! Should I pray for someone to total this car too or is there still hope? Mileage is pretty low, 75k.

It’s a ten year old car!

1 - paying to change a bulb. As you say educate yourself. Also check the socket wiring etc.

2 - we never had this car in the UK but Bluetooth on similar find a replacement from a scrap yard and replace yourself.

3 - if this happened during the pandemic then how did you buy it like that? Caveat Emptor.

4 - get a new handle from a scrap yard and fit it.

You most likely make a decent car from this but you’ll need to learn and take some responsibility.

Good luck.

I have an older 2014 Fiat electric which is starting to have issues. I have a history of getting ripped off at the Fiat dealer due to my ignorance of cars. Need to educate myself as I have no money to spare.

1) My brake light warning has come on 3 x in past 6 months. I had the left and right bulb replaced recently, so what else can it be? Fiat dealer charged me $65 to replace the bulb and dealer is far away. Someone told me to replace a fuse? But where is the fuse box and where do I buy a fuse?

It will be a poor connection at a bulb/bulb holder.. Not a fuse 🙂
2) The bluetooth has failed and dealer wants $1500 to repair. This car will be obsolete in a few years. Not a good investment. Any other options?
You can simply disconnect it,
A used replacement is an option
3) The previous owner let this car sit during pandemic, thus degrading the battery range to 35 miles per charge! The last 2013 Fiat I had was better on every level but, unfortunately, a reckless driver totaled that car. I bought this as a replacement from a dealer. It's too old to be covered under lemon law. An attorney told me they could argue it's 'natural wear and tear' not a 'defect'. Sigh.
Potential to have battery swapped / REBUILT 🤔
What was your old cars range?
4) The passenger door only opens from the inside, outside handle doesn't work. What is a fair price to repair this? Or should I let this repair go?

I have only had this car 2 years! Should I pray for someone to total this car too or is there still hope? Mileage is pretty low, 75k.
The handle is a common failure in European 500's, not an expensive item

Bottom line: it's a model only sold in 3 x US States, (not Europe.. So our knowledge is general "fuelled 500")

How rare are they now in your area..?

What is the chance of finding a totalled car for parts you may need?

As a aside..
FCA..
Fiat
Chrysler

May mean a local JEEP place may be capable of assisting with parts,🙂 especially coding in a replacement Blue and Me unit

When we say bulb holder may be the cause.... Take the bulb out, and look at both the bulb and the holder You dont want to see any corrosion - white pwdery deposits, Clean the bulbs and the metal contacts in the bulb holder. A very small piece if fine emery paper rubbed onto the ese parts, or some Magic Sponge should do the trick. FInd an independant garage to change the handle. I would expect to do this in approximtely 1 hour. With a two doo car its a vital safety issue being able to open both doors in case of roll over.

Changing a blue tooth unit is also not a long job for someone who is competent. An independant garage should be able to obatin a working second hand unit for you if they are any good.

If the range is only 35 miles I would deal with the lights and door handle and consider selling if you can afford it.

It’s a ten year old car!

1 - paying to change a bulb. As you say educate yourself. Also check the socket wiring etc.

2 - we never had this car in the UK but Bluetooth on similar find a replacement from a scrap yard and replace yourself.

3 - if this happened during the pandemic then how did you buy it like that? Caveat Emptor.

4 - get a new handle from a scrap yard and fit it.

You most likely make a decent car from this but you’ll need to learn and take some responsibility.

Good luck.
Thanks. These cars are extremely rare. There was only one in California and 3 in the US for sale, so going to a scrap yard is probably a waste of time.

I’m California, mechanics are not allowed to work on fully electric cars without a special license for EV repair. Many shops I called said they don’t service electric vehicles.

The 2013 Fiat 500e had none of these problems and still had the full 100 mile range. So a year older but superior in every way. This car is a dud for sure.

I don’t know what you mean by #3

The bulb is embedded in the hatchback so I would need to remove the interior panel to access. Obviously a waste of time since both bulbs are new.

Not sure what socket wiring is but I’ll google it.

I’m already educating myself with an 80 hour a week new job learning architectural drafting. Straight commission, huge headache. Dealers are counting on people being maxed out on time and will pay whatever to get this done.

I’ll try an auto parts shop.

Thanks

It will be a poor connection at a bulb/bulb holder.. Not a fuse 🙂

You can simply disconnect it,
A used replacement is an option

Potential to have battery swapped / REBUILT 🤔
What was your old cars range?

The handle is a common failure in European 500's, not an expensive item

Bottom line: it's a model only sold in 3 x US States, (not Europe.. So our knowledge is general "fuelled 500")

How rare are they now in your area..?

What is the chance of finding a totalled car for parts you may need?

As a aside..
FCA..
Fiat
Chrysler

May mean a local JEEP place may be capable of assisting with parts,🙂 especially coding in a replacement Blue and Me unit
Thank you. These are extremely rare as they are the only affordable EVs left which are all in huge demand in Los Angeles. There was only one for sale in all of California. An insurance nightmare.

My 2013 Fiat still had 100 mile range and was flawless.

Thanks for the bulb tip.

When we say bulb holder may be the cause.... Take the bulb out, and look at both the bulb and the holder You dont want to see any corrosion - white pwdery deposits, Clean the bulbs and the metal contacts in the bulb holder. A very small piece if fine emery paper rubbed onto the ese parts, or some Magic Sponge should do the trick. FInd an independant garage to change the handle. I would expect to do this in approximtely 1 hour. With a two doo car its a vital safety issue being able to open both doors in case of roll over.

Changing a blue tooth unit is also not a long job for someone who is competent. An independant garage should be able to obatin a working second hand unit for you if they are any good.

If the range is only 35 miles I would deal with the lights and door handle and consider selling if you can afford it.
Thank you so much! Very useful tips. Since my other Fiat was totalled during the pandemic, I decided to take the cash out and finance the replacement car as I was totally broke. My interest rate is a rip off as I am a self employed designer. I need to keep it until my income doubles.

Luckily I am in Hollywood where nobody in their right mind drives more than 5-10 miles a day, which can take an hour with traffic. Everything I need is very close by as I am in a big city and also work from home. I don't think this car would work for most other people. And I have my own charger in garage thankfully.

Excellent point about the safety issue, that never even occurred to me.

I agree, the other items are non EV basic issues so should be able to get that done anywhere. Glad to hear they are considered pretty basic.

Back