Technical Fiat Cinquecento

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Cinquecento

Sebastian.hoquet

Ever since I have got this Cinquencento, it's a real pain getting the gear in reverse. Lately, the car even got worse, sometimes I need to get out the car to push it out of a parking place.
The problem is that de gear-stick will go in any gear I want, except reverse.
Has anyone an idea how to fix this???
Thanks

Sebas

dunno if this helps but my bravo does the same, i have to pump the clutch a few times and it will then go in.

the clutch is being replaced now, so perhaps it won't do it anymore when i get it back... i'll let you know :)

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights
black/clear side repeaters
rear lights tint sprayed black
full midnight window tint (front/back/sunstrip)

Ah, one for me I think!

Sebastian,

Hi, and welcome to the Fiat Forum.
The problem you describe sounds like the 'reverse inhibitor cable' - basically there's a cable which is supposed to get pulled when you push the gearstick down, and if it doesnt, you won't get reverse.

Take the gaiter off the gearstick (it just pulls up) and you will see the cable running up the left hand side of the stick. Push down on the gearknob and you should see the cable operate. The other end of it is on top of the gearbox, held in by a small (10mm) bolt. If you take it out you can check if the cable is snapped or what.

There's a couple of ways to fix it, the proper one being to buy a new cable, or the fiddle - on the gearbox end pull the plunger bit up and secure it (a piece of electrical terminal block should do) and bolt it back in.

If you go for the fiddle, do note that it will be possible to grind against reverse when pulling back the stick out of 5th gear, so it should only really be used as a temporary fix.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

Back