General Fiat 600 front boot release.

Currently reading:
General Fiat 600 front boot release.

Hi I've just purchased a 1970 Seat 600E which I believe is the same as the Fiat. My first problem is I cant get the trunk open. I'm thinking the lever in the centre under the dash is the release but fully pulled no joy. Anyone any ideas how I can open it without wreaking the bonnet?

--------------------
--------------what is the wire pull in the centre under the dash?

Maybe it's to operate the heater flap (the heater relies on hot air from the radiator? being blown up through the centre tunnel).

Al.

I used to own a Fiat 600D back in the 1970s and the little pull wire under the dash was a throttle enhancer. Idea being that when cold and on choke (level near gear lever) then as the choke did not open the throttle as well then this pull wire was used to lift the throttle/rpm.

I seem to remember that you could pull this under normal running and have pseudo "Cruise Control" but this is quite dangerous for obvious reasons :)

Last edited:
Maybe it's to operate the heater flap (the heater relies on hot air from the radiator? being blown up through the centre tunnel).

Al.

No. The heater flap is located at the back of the car just underneath the rear passenger seat. This opens a flap the allows air from the rear mounted engine colling radiator to be pumped into the car. As such the 600 has no heater matrix.

When you get a chance unless the vehicle seller can confirm when this (what follows) was done then you need to check.

The 600 has no oil filter like in modern cars. It actually uses a highly efficient "centrifugal filter". This is an integral end of crankshaft housing where oil is pumped in and the debris and metal wear particles get spun to the outer circumference of the housing. Over time this builds up and you need to remove the sealing cover and inside you will find a grey sludge/past deposited. This needs to be scraped out (dead easy to do as it is compacted like cheese and comes out in decent chunks/lumps.

The only downside to doing this is access but this is easily solved. Place a jack and block under the engine. Life engine and remove central rear mount. Then either side are two nuts that you can remove and then take the whole rear panel off. Dead easy to and far easier than struggling in the small space between the crank pulley and rear panel.

No. The heater flap is located at the back of the car just underneath the rear passenger seat. This opens a flap the allows air from the rear mounted engine colling radiator to be pumped into the car. As such the 600 has no heater matrix.
It's the control for car or screen for the heater.

Attachments

• 20200426_093641.jpg
    20200426_093641.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
No, choke is on the tunnel

I already said this.

What I'm trying to say is that beyond the bonnet release and heater lever and choke lever (behind gear stick on central tunnel) then on my Fiat 600D (LHD use to live in Belgium) I also had an additional (not documented in the English and French Owner's Manuals (which I still have) pull ring/tab that was if I remember correctly link to the top of the accelerator cable.

Suggest you get your head under the dash and under the lower parcel shelf so you can see the top of the accelerator pedal and look for what I'm talking about.

I already said this.

What I'm trying to say is that beyond the bonnet release and heater lever and choke lever (behind gear stick on central tunnel) then on my Fiat 600D (LHD use to live in Belgium) I also had an additional (not documented in the English and French Owner's Manuals (which I still have) pull ring/tab that was if I remember correctly link to the top of the accelerator cable.

Suggest you get your head under the dash and under the lower parcel shelf so you can see the top of the accelerator pedal and look for what I'm talking about.
Just had a look, nothing attached to the top of the pedal.

Mines 1970 uk registered 1985. Looked up on gov web doesn't appear to be more than a handful in the country. Any idea if you can fit a sunroof in a standard car as it's the one mod I'd like to do.

Back