Technical Fiat 500 Loses power at 70mph

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 Loses power at 70mph

Ljn82

Hello,
I purchased a 2014 fiat 500 (52k miles) 3 weeks ago. On driving home the car lost power at 70mph, on the motorway. The stop start button came on the dash and the emission control light. I pulled over and restarted the engine, the lights went out and the car has been fine until doing the same tonight. The only common denominators are reaching 70mph whilst having the air con on. My daughter is learning to drive in it so we haven’t taken it out at speed needing the air con again on until tonight.
We are taking it back to the garage we bought it from as it’s under warranty but the guy said he’s never heard of this before. I wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar or have advice?
Thanks

Hello,
I purchased a 2014 fiat 500 (52k miles) 3 weeks ago. On driving home the car lost power at 70mph, on the motorway. The stop start button came on the dash and the emission control light. I pulled over and restarted the engine, the lights went out and the car has been fine until doing the same tonight. The only common denominators are reaching 70mph whilst having the air con on. My daughter is learning to drive in it so we haven’t taken it out at speed needing the air con again on until tonight.
We are taking it back to the garage we bought it from as it’s under warranty but the guy said he’s never heard of this before. I wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar or have advice?
Thanks
Has it had a timing belt changed recently?

Didn't tell the Ecu to align the top and bottom timing signals. 😔
Sorry, you’ve completely lost me! I’m a total novice with regards cars. I searched and it didn’t make sense to me either but I’m reassured there seems to be a link to timing belt change which is noted by many

Sorry, you’ve completely lost me! I’m a total novice with regards cars. I searched and it didn’t make sense to me either but I’m reassured there seems to be a link to timing belt change which is noted by many

Hi🙂

The basics.. Think of it like a bicycle..
You have a chain connecting the pedals to the back wheel

In a Car that pedal Crank turns a Wheel.. But a wheel on the Camshaft (at top of engine)

The engine uses a Sensor that detects when a certain tooth of the Crank (and Cam) passes it's sensor "to keep in time"

Basically wear and tear over time means whatever links the 2 wheels Crank and Cam... Either a Chain or a Belt with teeth Will Stretch.. 😕
But Gradually.. Over months and years😉

The sensors send signals to the cars 'brain'.. and it tolerates.. and adjusts the running adapting to this gradual stretch🙂

With the New belt or Chain.. Obviously the wear is removed.. The belt is shorter.. And the signals from the sensors move : shift

Not by much... So it runs O. K.

But at higher revs.. It will notice the difference... And run badly... Putting on a warning light 🤔

You can tell the ECU :Brain that the signals need to be reset

(should have been done by the seller..)😣

Ask if they will do it for free.. (takes 5 minutes while sat in the drivers seat....)
If not ask on here to see if anybody in your area can

Hope that makes sense. 🙂

Hi🙂

The basics.. Think of it like a bicycle..
You have a chain connecting the pedals to the back wheel

In a Car that pedal Crank turns a Wheel.. But a wheel on the Camshaft (at top of engine)

The engine uses a Sensor that detects when a certain tooth of the Crank (and Cam) passes it's sensor "to keep in time"

Basically wear and tear over time means whatever links the 2 wheels Crank and Cam... Either a Chain or a Belt with teeth Will Stretch.. 😕
But Gradually.. Over months and years😉

The sensors send signals to the cars 'brain'.. and it tolerates.. and adjusts the running adapting to this gradual stretch🙂

With the New belt or Chain.. Obviously the wear is removed.. The belt is shorter.. And the signals from the sensors move : shift

Not by much... So it runs O. K.

But at higher revs.. It will notice the difference... And run badly... Putting on a warning light 🤔

You can tell the ECU :Brain that the signals need to be reset

(should have been done by the seller..)😣

Ask if they will do it for free.. (takes 5 minutes while sat in the drivers seat....)
If not ask on here to see if anybody in your area can

Hope that makes sense. 🙂
Thank you so much for your time to explain that. It makes sense to me now. The guy said he’ll sort whatever needs doing so fingers crossed, if not I’ll reach out on here. It’s reassuring to know what it is and that it can be sorted as daughters life savings went into this little runaround!
Thanks again 😊

Back