General Fiat 500 easy to steal?? can this be correct

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 easy to steal?? can this be correct

any way my point in combining those two would be...... if its takes 30 mins to remove the claw they wont be there with a alarm blairing for 30 mins before they can get away with it... too much hastle.... thats what im hoping!

But they'll be taking it away on a hiab so they will be able to attack the clutch claw at their leisure.......

...as far as i know my car has vanished into thin air, i have no idea how it got away...

My sympathies on the loss of your 500. Hopefully the insurance will go to some way towards replacing it with another 500.

any way my point in combining those two would be...... if its takes 30 mins to remove the claw they wont be there with a alarm blairing for 30 mins before they can get away with it... too much hastle.... thats what im hoping!

My OH had quite a bit of stuff stolen from her MiTo and it would appear that she didn't lock the car correctly :eek:. Have noticed that the remote has got 'lazy' and does not work from the same distance. Since then she was become a lot more vigilant leaving everything out of sight. She's 'on the road' quite a bit and is appreciative of the security of deadlocks, the 'Fiat' Meta Thatcham Category 1 alarm and of course the peace of mind of the immobiliser. Everything is carried in the boot along with samples, laptop, etc. but the high value stuff in brought in at night. All personal information and key codes :eek: (left in the car manual wallet) have been removed.

If you decide to get another 500 this is what you can do...

1. Fit a Meta alarm which will bring the Thatcham rating from 2 to a 2-1.
2. Fit a mechanical immobilser that's Thatcham approved (Click here and select passenger cars).
3. Get the glass etched & you could consider some of these other recommended options.

They has been a lot of discussion about Alarms and their effectiveness but since a good alarm system has motion sensors an alarm is set off if it's lifted onto a truck and that attracts attention. Plus if they break in it cuts down on the amount of time they have to 'look around'.

I was of the belief that fitting a steering wheel lock on a modern day car was a waste of time. But after 'hearing' of a reported number of airbags thefts this easy to use StopLock Pro Steering lock protects against it and might act as a deterrent.

I have a disklok but it's too cumbersome to use and on the one that I have it does not clear the boss of the steering wheel without scratching it. Anyway it's overkill and not very female friendly. Big issue with it is the weight and getting it under the passenger seat so that it wouldn't become a flying missile in the event of a mishap - so I don't bother using it. Have seen other devices that lock the pedals but again a bit of a pain.

In relation to keys and where they're kept - my house is alarmed with a panic button in bedroom so I'm not too bothered. Security is as strong as the weakest link.

Anyway hopefully you'll be able to put 'it all behind you' and 'fingers crossed' your next car wouldn't suffer the same fate.

Last edited:
Other than a Thatcham Approved immobiliser, I protect our Classic Spder with a disklok so I was interested to see its been deleted:confused:

The Stoplock pro is good but I know the scrotes remove this by making a simple single cut in the steering wheel rim(n)

The device itself is tough but the way around is simple.

Being in the know, I'd vote disklok every time & to protect you steering boss, a nice thick microfiber over it prior to putting the device on(y)

Other than a Thatcham Approved immobiliser, I protect our Classic Spder with a disklok so I was interested to see its been deleted:confused:

The Stoplock pro is good but I know the scrotes remove this by making a simple single cut in the steering wheel rim(n)

The device itself is tough but the way around is simple.

Being in the know, I'd vote disklok every time & to protect you steering boss, a nice thick microfiber over it prior to putting the device on(y)

Did notice that the Disklok was gone off the Thatcham list but on the Diskok web site it states 'Conforms to Thatcham insurance approval (category 3) and is Sold Secure approved'.

M3 drivers are getting a little paranoid with 'M' cars being stolen and are now fitting the Disklok and fitting dummy OBD-II connectors. A number of complaints about the Disklok marking the steering wheel and MINI drivers have resorted to buying the Disklok cover and putting it on the steering wheel before fitting the Disklok to protect against scratches.

Land rover drivers seem to be suffering a similar fate in getting stolen and are also going to extroadinary lengths to secure their vehicles.

I tried fitting the Disklok on my ex-500 and it wouldn't fit (Click here). Checking the disklok web site it doesn't list the 500 but it might be worthwhile checking if your Version II model fits your 500. And there is still the isssue of where do you put it ? Putting in the boot is probably the only safe place. I used to put mine in the passenger footwell and also behind the passenger seat but it weights a good 5kg and needs a bit of 'man handling'. The OH could never cope with it.

I did think that it was probably the only mechanical immobiliser worth fitting but on the Autotest report posted by Andy Monty the disklok lasted 117 seconds - this is in stark contrast to the 'test review' posted by Disklok on their web site.

The 6 pin 'chubb' lock that was on my Disklok can be beaten in a couple of seconds but the hinge of the Disklok used to be the 'area' where it was attacked...

Thinking of Flashyphotos ELM327 Bluetooth OBD connector I wonder if it could result in a security breech similar to the Beamers - or maybe I'm just getting a little paranoid now.:eek:

Back