General Fiat 500 easy to steal?? can this be correct

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 easy to steal?? can this be correct

Jlo31

Hi,

I was looking at the thatcham website and the security rating of cars. Most new cars have a rating of 4 or 5 stars with regards the car not being able to be stolen but the Fiat 500 only has 2 stars.

Should I be concerned? If you google thatcham and click on star ratings you will see the results.

Cheers

Jlo31

Capture.JPG

I have just written to thatcham to ask if this mean they managed to drive the car away or whether it was just there were not enough security markings on the car.

I hope the imobiliser cannot be bypassed otherwise may look like I will need to invest in a steering lock.

Cheers

jlo31

I have just written to thatcham to ask if this mean they managed to drive the car away or whether it was just there were not enough security markings on the car.

I hope the imobiliser cannot be bypassed otherwise may look like I will need to invest in a steering lock.

Cheers

jlo31
Ooeerr...even the Mk2 Punto is more secure (theft of - rated 3 stars lol)

Steering lock would be a good idea, visual deterrent and all that :)

Nobody takes a blind bit of notice of car alarms, as we all know, but they might reduce insurance charges. As for theft, I'll bet the Fiat immobilization system is as robust as any others. Before buying into the statistics I'd like to know a lot more about the detail.

Last edited:
You still need the key to drive away. There have been no reports of 500's being driven away without the key, at least on this forum.

stealing a car thesedays means you must have the keys, hence folk who do have there car stolen get their keys stolen first, a few people on this forum can unfortunally agree with this.

Thatcham (although good) IMO have little say thesedays, I have never seen thatcham enforce anything and anyone and everyone started fitting alarms without training and to a poor standard which defeated the whole purpose.

To be honest a red fiat 500 with brown soft roof, or white fiat500 with chequered strip down each side should be easy for police to spot if stolen;)

Meh. IIRC the thatcham report says no alarm, no deadlocks and "weak" glazing. As T14086 says, you either need the keys or a masters degree to steal cars these days.

My previous insurance company (Cornhill - Allianz) outright refused to insure a 1.4 Sport as it did not have a Thatcham-rated alarm.

I received the following reply from Thatcham so looks like the immobiliser is secure.

Cheers

jlo31​

Dear Sir,

This vehicle is fitted with a CAT 2 Immobiliser as standard, there is an option for an alarm to be fitted which would make this a CAT 1. If an upgrade would give you peace of mind you will need to contact your local Fiat dealership. It is highly unlikely this vehicle could be stolen without a valid set of keys.

I received the following reply from Thatcham so looks like the immobiliser is secure.

Cheers

jlo31​

Dear Sir,

This vehicle is fitted with a CAT 2 Immobiliser as standard, there is an option for an alarm to be fitted which would make this a CAT 1. If an upgrade would give you peace of mind you will need to contact your local Fiat dealership. It is highly unlikely this vehicle could be stolen without a valid set of keys.
Exactly as we said. The only thing an alarm will do is annoy people.

My stepdaughter has just had her 500 stolen, and they didnt have the keys, she still has both sets, and no sign of broken glass, so it must be easy

My stepdaughter has just had her 500 stolen, and they didnt have the keys, she still has both sets, and no sign of broken glass, so it must be easy

did they drive it away though? been a few stories of them being taken by lorry.

is she sure she didn't just forget where she parked it? :D

welcome to the forum

post more details about the car, some one might spot it

did they drive it away though? been a few stories of them being taken by lorry.

is she sure she didn't just forget where she parked it? :D

welcome to the forum

post more details about the car, some one might spot it
Exactly. nothing can prevent a car being lifted on a HIAB......

Doesn't help things either I suppose when there is no anti-tilt alarm fitted to the vehicle? like I have on my own car. I was doing some brake cleaning maintenance on my Caddy the other day and forgot that I'd locked the car before I started to raise it to take the wheel off. The car soon let me know how unhappy it was with the situation, alarm and horn blaring out and giving me a bit of a jump!

Oh, if there is an alarm fitted to the 500 that I don't know about, would someone be kind enough to tell me!

Back