General Fiat 500 1.2 Gearbox/Suspension Noise

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 1.2 Gearbox/Suspension Noise

5004ever

Hello to all.

As we have said here before, our Fiat 500 lives an incredibly hard life.

For the last few months there has been a THHUNK noise coming from the front.

We have replaced pads, one outer CV, both top mounts and bearings. both wheel bearings both drop arms and both bottom suspension arms, but its still there.
We have also replaced top and bottom engine mounts, but no joy.
We have not been upset by replacing these parts without success, because we see it as maintenance on a very hardworking car.

However, we think we have finally tracked down the source.

The noise is present when suddenly changing from forward to reverse motion , or vice-versa, such as parking in the supermarket car-park.
We think it is the bearings in the differential.

We put the car on the lift, and when you grab the inner cups that connect the driveshafts to the differential, you can rock them up and down, quite a bit.

Any thoughts welcome on our diagnosis.
Has anyone done this job and can it be done with the gearbox in place, or is it a gearbox out job ?

Thanks in advance.

I would be proud of yourself for all the maintenance on your 500 at least changing those parts will hopefully see you issue free for a few years!!!
Gearbox out job it seems! Have you done or will you be doing this yourself?? It’s one of the most £££ jobs on our 500s I know as I spent the best part of a grand a couple of years back having mine sorted! And it came back with leaks 🙈

When mine needs doing again I’ll absolutely be doing it myself…. I like to be able to be self sufficient 🤣

Hello!

I'm wondering if you have managed to find the source of the noise. I'm having what might be a similar issue and have no idea what's causing it. You can hear the sound mine makes here:

I would really appreciate it if you could let tell me whether it's the same sound your car makes and if you've managed to fix it.

Thanks a million!

Aww crap.. i think i have the same problem...
I drive in such a way as to not make it happen, but if i floor it in first and then take my foot off the accelerator it makes that horrible noise.. i have to purposely make it happen though
It still seems fine when im flooring it to the redline, and i do thrash the crap out of it all the time..
But it still seems fine..
Apart from that occasional clunk when i forget to avoid it..

I was gonna wait for it to break and then put a re-con gearbox on it.. but it just keeps taking it!

Now i know what it is, i will probably just fix it,
(get it off myself and take it for a recon)

Back