Technical Is something wrong with my gearbox?

Currently reading:
Technical Is something wrong with my gearbox?

soukaina

Hi all,

I recently started noticing a loud "clacking" sound that happens right after changing gears. It's been happening for a few weeks now and I hear it most of the time, but not always. It's a dualogic gearbox, the car is 6 years old. I have attached a video where you can hear it make the sound twice.

Could this be a serious issue? I'm having the gearbox oil level checked in a few weeks, but I don't want to wait too long if it's serious.

With regard to the transmission fluid, in case I do need to change/top it up, is there an alternative to the recommended CS Speed? It's unfortunately not available in my country. Would 75w80 from a different brand be fine?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230505_083344.mp4
    15.1 MB
Last edited:
It will clack a bit as it shifts the gears, especially when you are stationary (and your environment there looks quite hard and echo-ey). Do you notice anything on the move out on the road? Is it performing OK otherwise? Have you had the car a while and noticed a change or is the car quite new to you?

Does the "clack" sound as if the gearbox is being brought to a halt (i.e is there any graunching) - that might suggest there is some clutch drag perhaps. This would be most noticeable going into reverse. Is the bottom of your gearbox oily (an oil leak onto the clutch could cause this)?

Dexron III ATF is a substitute for CS Speed - though Shop4Parts online in the UK may be able to ship out the genuine article to you. Don't have anything else put in as this can damage the seals and accumulator. Though if it is shifting without errors being generated then the fluid level is probably OK.

Thank you for the response!

I haven't noticed anything unusual on the road, everything seems to be working fine except for the loud noise. I've had the car since November 2021, so it's been a while, and this sound is definitely new. The underground parking is definitely echo-ey, but the sound really is loud even outside.

I wouldn't describe the sound as graunching, but it does only happen when switching to and from reverse. Switching between forward and neutral makes no sound. There is no leaking that I can see.

I found a thread from someone who seems to have had a similar issue:

I left a message to ask whether they found the source of the noise. Hopefully they have!

Thanks for recommending an alternative to CS Speed. I think I can find that locally if needed, and if not I'll look into ordering online.

Last edited:
Back