Technical few questions

Currently reading:
Technical few questions

hi
read the stickies but still have a few q's.

1. what gearbox do you need when fittting a 1242 to an sx?

2. how much would you expect to pay for a 1242 engine?

3. which ecu would i need?

4. whats the difference between sx suspension and sporting?

5. when lowering do you need new shocks or just the springs?

6. what steel wheels will fit an sx? (not arsed about alloys)

bloody burnt a valve out again so i thought it might because im caning the nuts off it all the time. time for bigger engine. could buy a sporting then want to upgrade, or just upgrade this car. the body is sound, few rusty patches on wings is all and i like the silver colour. want to keep it looking untouched really so not bothered about it looking 'kewl' or anything. oh yeah

7. what exhaust would you fit to a 1242 shoehorned into an sx? bearing in mind im not arsed about what it sounds like.

:D

philbo said:
hi
read the stickies but still have a few q's.

1. what gearbox do you need when fittting a 1242 to an sx?

Cinq Sporting along with the drive shafts and gear linkage.

philbo said:
2. how much would you expect to pay for a 1242 engine?

Twixt £100 - £250

philbo said:
3. which ecu would i need?

899 will do

philbo said:
4. whats the difference between sx suspension and sporting?

20mm

philbo said:
5. when lowering do you need new shocks or just the springs?

Tis better to do so as the dampers can bottom out if you don't.

philbo said:
6. what steel wheels will fit an sx? (not arsed about alloys)

Same rules apply for steels as for alloys. PCD 98, so most Fiat group cars, then check the offset.

philbo said:
7. what exhaust would you fit to a 1242 shoehorned into an sx? bearing in mind im not arsed about what it sounds like.
:D

Standard sporting manifold with 10mm spacer before downpipe.

Cheers

D

thanks for replies
so the suspension is basically the same? not bigger, beefed up or anything, just anti roll bar added? and lower obviously.
next question is how low can you go ? seen -60 -40 and other kits but is that sx -60/40/other or sporting -60/40/other?
bog standard wheels fitted.

Don't go lower than sporting minus 40. I think most kits are advertised based on the Sporting starting point. Some will go lower, but you end up running on the bumpstops, and unless your streets are as smooth as Silverstone, don't bother.

Cheers

D

jesus just reread my last post
i have an sx so if i get -40 springs thatll be -20 compared to a sporting so i need -60 springs? wheres this measured from anyway?

Right, back to the beginning.

If the springs you are looking at are for an S or SX, then you will be able to go to -60.

However, most spring companies are quoting for the Sporting which starts at 20mm less, as you know.

If you buy springs for a Sporting marked as -40, your car will go down -60.

Do not get Sporting springs marked as -60, or you will be down -80.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

D

Last edited:
As I said last week, suspension is without a doubt the bst mod we did to ours!!! Save your passengers getting sea-sick in the twistys!

If you need a hand with scrapyard rummaging I know windley's like the back of my hand, plus I get stuff a little cheaper as they know me on 1st name terms!!

Suppose thats wwhat happens when you self-maintain a cento!!

Jon+Em

Back