Favourite TV Series

Currently reading:
Favourite TV Series

MP Flying Circus.
The Professionals.
Monk.
Hercule Poirot (I will never quit adoring the Art Deco study appearing there.)

Those sending me ROFL:
Komissar Rex.
Alarm fr Cobra 11 Die Autobahnpolizei

I am more or less immune to s*itcoms like "Friends" or "Ally Mc Beal."
TBH, I despise lawyers and wanna-be-yuppies.

its got to be this

reddwarf.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D

:yeahthat: and Only fools! i can watch them for hours and repeats of top gear on uk gold!! :D

silly peasants :rolleyes:

The Life of Mammals
The Blue Planet
Life in the Undergrowth
Planet Earth
The Life of Birds
State of the Planet

a series should have meaning and value. not bad acting, pointless characters and story lines that were made up while having a crap on a sunday morning with a hangover. how can you feel your time was well spent if you watch something that does not give you something in return? or can you call mild entertainment something these days?

The Life of Mammals
The Blue Planet
Life in the Undergrowth
Planet Earth
The Life of Birds
State of the Planet

Each and every one of those is a watered down TV docu, not something of significant value or education. TV is great for entertainment and even "edutainment" but that's the limit, proper learning of value has to come from other sources that taken effort.

proper learning of value has to come from other sources that taken effort.
i agree the amount and level of detail is made suitable for a wide audience, and that does degrade the academic value of the series, but it does suit the intended audience so its not an issue.

what motivates you to do research on a certain topic or area? its usually a small sample of information, something that gets your imagination going. thats what i get from these type of programmes. generally its very hard to watch an episode of any attenborough series without feeling the need to look into the topic in more detail.

plus the things they capture on film are truely amazing. well worth your tv license. the entaintainment aspect is from the incredible things you get to see.

Last edited:
for me its got to be scrubs... its my feel good tv, always makes my sides hurt and face ache with laughter :D

then your looking at all the csi series and spin offs, futurama, top gear, due south and monk :eek: (at the last ...)

im sure theres more but i cant think too straight at the moment (y)

But it's then pure snobbery (even undeserved pseudo-snobbery from a high ground that doesn't exist) to say that a TV programme needs value and meaning to be worth watching. TV to me is entertainment since it nowhere near meets any sort of academic level I want to reach even in areas I know little about. I would rather know nothing about something that very basic facts since they can often make you more stupid than you know.

Such examples to me include the colour of water, a young child thinks it is blue, but a secondary school child is told "no, it is colourless" then an A level student or beyond is told "no, it actually does have a blue tint to it, not caused by reflections".

Same is with electricity conductance, as a kid you believe water conducts electricity, then you're told "no, water doesn't conduct electricity" and then you're told "water does conduct electricity *normally* due to dissolved particles".

I find TV usually aims for the middle part of those two examples, both of which would make me look stupid. Those are fields I know a bit about so can identify it as rubbish, yet if I start watching something about a topic I know little about, there's probably a massive number of examples like the two above that means "a little bit of education is a dangerous thing"...

for me its got to be scrubs... its my feel good tv, always makes my sides hurt and face ache with laughter :D

then your looking at all the csi series and spin offs, futurama, top gear, due south and monk :eek: (at the last ...)

im sure theres more but i cant think too straight at the moment (y)

OT Andy but I was at Grain last week, "we" had a tanker in Wed-Thurs which was good to see. Rochester (where we stayed) is pretty grim and my hotel even worse!

OT Andy but I was at Grain last week, "we" had a tanker in Wed-Thurs which was good to see. Rochester (where we stayed) is pretty grim and my hotel even worse!

so it was you that dlayed my ship wednesday then... i was wanting it to leave but couldnt as you were arriving :mad: lol

Rochester is relatively grim, i have a friend who lives there, but hes in the better area, the closer you get to the town centre the worse it gets, i was in the town centre not the weekend just gone but the one before for a rather dubious amount of alcholic beverages and was fortunate enough to have my wits about me, be it from the drunken muppet blokes or the little tarts... (altho a few of them were very tatsy :yum: could have got in trouble for just my thoughts alone (y) :D )

what hotel where you staying in? next time you are down this way, let me know and ill see if i can recomend somewhere slightly more appealing to stay

The royal victoria and bull, at the end of the sort of main street thing. My boss didn't want to stay outside the town (so he could eat and drink easily). It smelt, wall paper hanging off the wall, TV had no channels working, the shower was awful. The breakfast was quite good though, as was the bloke on the desk. My boss used to be down all the time so has stayed in loads of places there and found none to be particularly great though. The "nice one" is something manor, like Bridge Manor or something? But we have a budget of £90 a night maximum for the hotel including breakfast so unless you get lucky with a late booking, that's out of the budget. I don't plan on going back at the moment. They're putting in applications for phase 3 which means a second jetty, phase 2 is being built - 3 huge concrete LNG storage tanks, biggest in the world.

Ship as berthing around 1-2pm so maybe? ;)

i know exactly where you mean Paul, its not the most inspiring part of town. given your budget and your bosses desire to be based in the town itself for ease of things come the morning it may be relativly hard to find something that suits your purpose, and wants / needs, but i will have a look around and see if i can find something none the less. i always use the cheap hotels on the island for my crew, even the captains think they are relatively nice (bar the Dutch, they expect far too much like us in many respects..) whereas i think they are rather abismal for the cost per person per night!

what time did your ship leave? i have been reading reports and documents regarding the expansion work, should be very interesting and be good for the Adsteam to say the very least... heres hoping they put some more money into developing Sheerness to itspotential sooner rather than later as Peel Holdings are not doing themselves any favours as of the moment

I find TV usually aims for the middle part of those two examples
yes but thats the great thing, to me thats a prompt to go and dig deeper to find the answer. but without that prompt i would never think to find out about the actual colour or conductivity of water (i think i'll read about the colour issue tonight actually :)). if a tv programme spoon fed you the whole answer it would be boring. all you want is something to spark the question, the answer is something you should find out for yourself.

I find TV usually aims for the middle part of those two examples, both of which would make me look stupid. Those are fields I know a bit about so can identify it as rubbish, yet if I start watching something about a topic I know little about, there's probably a massive number of examples like the two above that means "a little bit of education is a dangerous thing"...
i can tell you're as skeptical as me so i think there is very little chance of that happening. if its on tv its only someone's opinion or idea, its not something you should take as factual at any level until you have done a bit of research. you wouldnt quote a tv series would you ;)

But it's then pure snobbery to say that a TV programme needs value and meaning to be worth watching.
i'm not saying a TV programme needs value and meaning to be worth watching. all it needs is to be entertaining. but for me, for a series to be entertaining, it needs to have value or meaning. it must be based around something factual, or at least someone's opinion of something in the real world. fiction rarely entertains me, i've really tried hard to watch it but it just doesnt do anything, i find no value or meaning so i lose interest. occasionally i'm forced to watch eastenders or coronation street by my girlfriend, you can guarantee that 15 mins later i'm shouting at the tv, or my girlfriend, or i'm staring at the wall next to the tv thinking about other (violent) things just to keep the peace. (i'd like to note at this point that she wont watch uktv history for 5 minutes nevermind 15)

if i was american i think i'd have gone to see a councillor by now.

Last edited:
No idea on ship leaving time, in theory their minimum off load time is around 14 hours, I am guessing they started off loading 6 pm on wednesday, takes up to an hour to cool down the equipment to -150 deg C by squirting in LNG and then they take off up to 12,000 m^3 an hour, of a tanker which could be up to 160,000 m^3, but the Grain site has the world's longest transer pipeline from the jetty to the terminal so they always have problems and never get up to that capacity. So I guess late afternoon/evening on Thursday assuming no problems. Should be the last import stock until September if BP get their way, Grain is on minimum send out for aslong as they can be as gas prices are so low here now compared to elsewhere. That causes huge operational difficulties (which is why I was down there) as none of the equipment is designed to do that properly and to get the gas up to specifications for export you have to blend/dilute/add propane/nitrogen which is what I have been modelling.

I stayed in Aberdeen for £82/night in a really great place and I believe Aberdeen costs are similar to Kent due to it being so oil/gas orientated, it's a shame that area doesn't compete. I would have been happy in a souless but clean hotel elsewhere to be honest, but the boss has to have his way!

Back