FAO Anyone with problems within warranty

Currently reading:
FAO Anyone with problems within warranty

Found this on the Trading Standards website. Suggest it may be a good base for any letter sent to a dealer about having a fault repaired.

ASKING A TRADER FOR A FREE REPAIR TO A RECENTLY PURCHASED CAR
REF: ABC ESTATE CAR - REG NO: K111 KKK

On 14th February 1996, I purchased the above car from you, for £3,500. I have had the car for 10 weeks, and it has now developed a serious defect with the gearbox.

I understand from another mechanic that this fault is not as a result of wear and tear or misuse by me during the time that I have had the car, but was present at the time you sold it to me. I enclose a copy of his report for your information.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) means that I am entitled to expect the car to be of a satisfactory quality, having regard for the price paid. I feel it is unreasonable for a car of this price to have a major fault so soon after purchase, and consider you to be in breach of contract.
I would like to request that you either carry out the repair at your own expense, or you compensate me for the cost of getting the work done elsewhere, and I would like the matter resolved within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully etc

Back