Tuning fake but real turbo

Currently reading:
Tuning fake but real turbo

you take, the **** but ive come into cars recently from a bike background, turbo's are something we dont touch, but i realise, now that its not that simple, im really after a realistic turbo noise tho. and fair play for going all the way to turbo'ing a 1.2 8v. Like i said im not after speed just noise, i have the bike for that ;)

This badboy has a turbo, albeit a low pressure job
1987_volvo_740-pic-60586.jpeg

The turbo on this car isn't for power (the n/a variant has a few hp less) its more for low down torque and keeping intake temperatures down.

Personally a turbo just spinning doing nothing is a waste, try to do something like the Volvo, a low pressure job, if you go down that route. That way you have the sound and a slight increase on power with lower intake temperatures. If you want more poke afterwards you have a good base already.

If you want to do it then do it!

My 2 cents ;)

As already said if doing it is what you want then go ahead. But do it properly or you will just look like an idiot. If you want performance with less hassle (and probably cheaper insurance) get an HGT.

For turbo air and exhaust pipework you can make your own with bends and straights via ebay. Though you'll need to weld properly. Turbo oil supply should be easy enough to take from the oil pressure gauge tapping fed with metal braided hose.

The intercooler can be mounted alongside the main radiator, but both would have to be double thickness specials. The original 1.2 rad would not be big enough.

Last edited:
For turbo air and exhaust pipework you can make your own with bends and straights via ebay. Though you'll need to weld properly. Turbo oil supply should be easy enough to take from the oil pressure gauge tapping fed with metal braided hose.

Thats exactly what i was thinking of doing just a small diy job, for sex appeal rather than anything else, where i live its not like im going to get raced, its just sex appeal thats all, If its just that, then i can spend my 3 weeks holiday building up a system, dont want to go into modifying the head or anything else, really, just thought as if it was low pressure that would be all that was needed.

And im not keen on those electronic dump valves or the whistlers, seen them tried them and never again.

I have not too long ago fitted a induction system cost me £11 mushroom filter from ebay, which gives a much lauder 'sshhh' sound than any other ive heard and thats where the idea came from.

Got 3 weeks for a project tho. and a bit of cash like i say maybe 200 - 300, but dont want to delve in too far if i can help it, because no turbocharged 1.2 too me is going to seem that fast, as i say been on superbikes for the last 3 years.

Chicks who dig drivers of badly modded cars are probably not the sharpest gals in town. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Yep your an idiot, do it properly or just not at all!!!

Thats exactly what i was thinking of doing just a small diy job, for sex appeal rather than anything else, where i live its not like im going to get raced, its just sex appeal thats all, If its just that, then i can spend my 3 weeks holiday building up a system, dont want to go into modifying the head or anything else, really, just thought as if it was low pressure that would be all that was needed.

And im not keen on those electronic dump valves or the whistlers, seen them tried them and never again.

I have not too long ago fitted a induction system cost me £11 mushroom filter from ebay, which gives a much lauder 'sshhh' sound than any other ive heard and thats where the idea came from.

Got 3 weeks for a project tho. and a bit of cash like i say maybe 200 - 300, but dont want to delve in too far if i can help it, because no turbocharged 1.2 too me is going to seem that fast, as i say been on superbikes for the last 3 years.

But the big difference I'm saying do all that but do it properly. Otherwise make something useful like garden furniture. Done right a turbo will improve the 1.2 but dont expect huge increases without major engine mods. If you really want power fit a bike engine and be done with it.

Last edited:
Back