Technical Expensive sounding noise

Currently reading:
Technical Expensive sounding noise

RedAlert

Hi all, I would really appreciate some help with what this noise might be.
On my 06 plate m-jet there is a bit of a loud humming sound when in high gears at lower revs. It only seems to happen between about 1500-1800 revs, or at least that is when it is most noticeable at least. At first I thought it might be the exhaust blowing a bit somewhere, but it does not make the noise at all when the car is stationary no matter what revs I get it up to. Is this going to be an expensive gearbox problem or am I just getting a bit worried over something that may be much easier to fix than that?

Cheers, Mike

Its ok. There is a stretch of motorway by me that is currently at 50mph. In 6th gear motorway cruise easing off down to this limit the revs drop but the noise sounds louder as it does. Like I say, if I go over 2000 revs the noise is gone. I had read on another post from here that it may be the gearbox on its last legs. It is also a bit clunky into 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I read this post and am concerned this is very similar to what I have noticed.

I personally wouldn't be doing 50mpg in 6th gear especially with the m32 gearbox, the gear is synthetic and not suited to be under strain (eg: gaining speed or low speed high gear)

Is the noise more of a hum or a whine? The fact it's only under 2k rpm I wouldn't worrie about it at the moment :)

I think I had this all wrong. A little more effort put into finding out when and where this is happening has lead me to believe that it is in fact more about the speed the car is going. Seems to be at its worst between 40-60mph. Rear tyres are fairly worn, or perhaps a wheel bearing? Any thoughts?

Back