Technical Exhaust replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust replacement

brendanb581

First Punto!
Hi all,

Just want a bit of advice!

My car exhaust was blowing a few months back, so I took it to the local garage and they said it was blowing and the front part was fine (is that the cat?) so they replaced it all but then I noticed a few weeks after it sounded like it was blowing again, my mate said it was coming from near the front. What does this sound like?

Also, should I take it back to the garage with the receipt? Don't know what to do, not had the time to get it sorted yet!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi all,

Just want a bit of advice!

My car exhaust was blowing a few months back, so I took it to the local garage and they said it was blowing and the front part was fine (is that the cat?) so they replaced it all but then I noticed a few weeks after it sounded like it was blowing again, my mate said it was coming from near the front. What does this sound like?

Also, should I take it back to the garage with the receipt? Don't know what to do, not had the time to get it sorted yet!

Any ideas?

Thanks

The exhaust is less then 2 week old and its blowing already?
Take it back! Demand its fixed for free if they try to fob you off

The Punto mk2 and mk2b is split into 3 sections
The Manicat - A manifold, cat and Flange Face
Middle section - 8v's use a Straight through pipe, 16v use a middle silencer, its a flange face to flared end or flat end i cant remember
Back section - Aka Backbox, is a box that is what people refer to as the exhaust

eitherway - i took mine back no end of times because the flange faces kept becoming parted
This was probably cause a mount was dying....

Ziggy

The exhaust is less then 2 week old and its blowing already?
Take it back! Demand its fixed for free if they try to fob you off

The Punto mk2 and mk2b is split into 3 sections
The Manicat - A manifold, cat and Flange Face
Middle section - 8v's use a Straight through pipe, 16v use a middle silencer, its a flange face to flared end or flat end i cant remember
Back section - Aka Backbox, is a box that is what people refer to as the exhaust

eitherway - i took mine back no end of times because the flange faces kept becoming parted
This was probably cause a mount was dying....

Ziggy

Yeah it was blowing again. But I mean it must be the Manicat if the other part was replaced? Or that's what they will probably say, meaning another £200 odd right? :\

Yeah it was blowing again. But I mean it must be the Manicat if the other part was replaced?

Or they just didn't bolt the thing together properly, in the first place...? :(

Kwik-Fit do free exhaust checks -- so, unless it was them wot fitted it(!?), I think it would be worth getting them to have a look, before returning to the garage that did the original 'repair', as Ziggy says.... Nothing to lose, anyhoo.... ;)

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...! (y)

What a joke.
Don't replace the manicat until you know for sure that it is the problem.

It's easy to diagnose yourself, you can run the engine and feel for blow, but obviously take care near a hot exhaust and moving parts.

When they changed the mid section, they should also have replaced the gasket where the flanged face of the mid section meets the flanged face of the manicat. And tightened this well (thread-lok anyone) to stop the faces separating over time.

I just bought a replacement gasket for this part, it's a metal ring.

Similarly at the back box, a bit of exhaust paste goes a long way

What a joke.
Don't replace the manicat until you know for sure that it is the problem.

It's easy to diagnose yourself, you can run the engine and feel for blow, but obviously take care near a hot exhaust and moving parts.

When they changed the mid section, they should also have replaced the gasket where the flanged face of the mid section meets the flanged face of the manicat. And tightened this well (thread-lok anyone) to stop the faces separating over time.

I just bought a replacement gasket for this part, it's a metal ring.

Similarly at the back box, a bit of exhaust paste goes a long way

spot on answer

Back