General Ever replaced the antennae?

Currently reading:
General Ever replaced the antennae?

Here's a 'nice' little job for you.....:rolleyes:

My aerial as been broken for a while but it still worked ok - then I decided to buy a new stick and change it.... :idea:

It wouldn't budge! :(

Pair of pliers and ........... SNAP! Got it off (ahem). :cry:

Right, no probs, just need a little drill and a tiny stud extractor ........:)

Hmmmmmmmm, ok, so the brass just breaks up instead of undoing, I'll whip it out from inside the car.........:bang:

£21,57 lighter and I'm the proud owner of a new aerial base!:(

Back to the job ...

Had a good look around the light unit to try to work out how it came out - turns out Fiat don't go for expensive fittings - not like their parts prices!

I gently prised out the units in the cabin light console - watch the motion sensor, theres a screwdriver slot on one side but the spring clips are the opposite side - so don't flip it straight out, ease it to the left first. The cable ends on the light unit control and the motion sensor look the same - be careful they don't get mixed up.

With all the units out (motion sensor, electric mirror control and the light) you can now remove the light base - 4 screws. Now remove the 2 inner visor clips (1 screw each) and swing the visors out of the way.

Next, remove the black plastic base which also has 4 screws - 2 vertical + 2 horizontal.

Next you have to ease back the piping around the sun roof and open up the roof liner in order to ease out the black plastic base you have just unscrewed.

Watch out for the 2 rubber cushions which sit on the other side of the black plastic base, they come out really easy. :bang:

With that out you can now see the underside of the aerial mount. (y)

You need a No 1 Phillips to remove 2 tiny screws (1 on each end of the cover of the mount) :eek:

With that off you will see a largish Phillips screw in the middle of the mount - I found mine surprisingly tight.

Once out, the base unit will come off the aerial base and reveal the underside of the aerial base - which has little plastic clips at 3 and 9 o'clock, flip the clips and the base pops out on the outside of the roof.

I'm paranoid about leaks so I sealed the base of the new unit with a dab of silicon before installing it.

Look out for those rubber cushions - they are a pain :bang:

Be careful with the surround piping, its fiddly to get it back right

Hope that helps anyone unlucky enough to break their antennae - AND be daft enough to want to change it LOL

Cheers

George

I must admit I looked at replacing the base when I needed a new mast (I too just had a snapped off bit of brass left that I couldn't get out).

I just ended up drilling into the brass bit, tapping the hole and screwing in an £8 ebay replacement mast.

Admittedly I had to buy the tap as I couldn't find my old one, and I could have done with drilling a bit straighter as my new mast is at a little bit of an angle, but I couldn't face stripping out all that interior guff. You are a more patient man than me..

Neil.

Back