Technical Engine wont start... HELP!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Engine wont start... HELP!!!

Becca26

Hello - have recently bought a Fiat Punto 1999yrs,which was a non runner,from a friend who didn't know what was wrong with it .. i have changed the battery as it didn't work. Electrics come on on the vehicle but the car wont start .. when i turn the key, it clicks but doesn't turn over .. there appears there is oil all over the left side of the engine and on the underside of the bonnet and a warning light come on - states in the user manual that it is the injection system malfunction warning light ( have no idea what this is )
Any ideas or sugesstions as to how to get it running again ..

Thank you
Becky

Have you tried bump starting it?/jump starting it? giving the starter motor a bit of a wack when trying to turn over?

id try those steps first, if not could be down to worn spark plugs coil packs ht leads or starter motor.

Oil inside the engine bay AND bonnet? Is the dipstick in place (red handle).

On my 99 mk1 the injection warning light goes out after about 10 seconds of the ignition being on (even if you don't start it), check this.

The problem seems to be related to the starter motor or battery. Take the terminals off and give the leads a good clean with a rag and DIY chemical of choice. Do the same to the terminals on the battery.

Check the main earth contacts are all clean.

If the starter goes clunk it might be the engine is locked solid. Take out the spark plugs and try to move the car in gear. With the plugs removed it should be possible to move the car whiles its in gear.

Check the main earth contacts are all clean.

If the starter goes clunk it might be the engine is locked solid. Take out the spark plugs and try to move the car in gear. With the plugs removed it should be possible to move the car whiles its in gear.

As stated is the battery known to be good ? Use jump leads from a known good source.
Then if the engine doesnt turn over its the usual suspects 1/ starter motor 2/ engine siezed? turn it with a spanner on the crank or bump start it.
If the engine turns start with 1/ remove plug and see ifthere is a spark (assuming there is fuel)
2/ is cam shaft going round ? I had a car that was running until stopped then wouldnt restart , timing belt tensioner collapsed causing erratic valve timing , hence no start .
If you have a Haynes manual it gives good advice.
Keep us posted.

Back