Technical Engine turns over but won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Engine turns over but won't start

Far Rye

Hi everyone I'm a newbie so please be patient with me. When I try to start the engine of my 2006 fiat ducato it turns over but the padlock emblem does not go out. If I disconnect the battery I hear a click in the engine compartment and when I re -attach the battery lead the padlock emblem goes out and the engine starts. Give it a few days and the problem re-occurs does anybody have and idea what the problem is and how to sort it?

Hi everyone I'm a newbie so please be patient with me. When I try to start the engine of my 2006 fiat ducato it turns over but the padlock emblem does not go out. If I disconnect the battery I hear a click in the engine compartment and when I re -attach the battery lead the padlock emblem goes out and the engine starts. Give it a few days and the problem re-occurs does anybody have and idea what the problem is and how to sort it?
It sounds like an engine immobiliser issue , but very odd that disconnecting the battery should reset , if that was the case every car thief would do it.
Do you have a spare key to try?

It sounds like an engine immobiliser issue , but very odd that disconnecting the battery should reset , if that was the case every car thief would do it.
Do you have a spare key to try?
Hi bugsymike Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I do have a spare key and will try your suggestion

If the padlock icon does not go out, then the engine will not start.

2006 was a model changeover year. Is your vehicle an x244, or the later x250 model? See VIN, either ZFA244xxxxxx, or ZFA250xxxxxxx. There were large changes to the wiring between models, as well as the external styling.

It seems possible that the immobiliser operation on your vehicle may be marginal, and that disconnecting the battery allows a small increase in battery voltage which is sufficient to enable operation.

Is this problem something new, or have you been having problems for some time?

Just over a year ago my 2006 x244, would not restart after a brief halt. OK at second attempt. As it is a PVC, not used much last winter, but in March I had 2 out of 5 failures for the immobiliser to go out.

I reasoned that the radio signals to and from the key are at a very low voltage, and may not be able to overcome any oxidation (tarnish) at connector contacts.

On the x244 the code receiver is located in the steering column, and connects to the aerial ring around the ignition switch via a short cable, I unplugged and reseated this cable, applying contact cleaner in the process. For good measure the larger connector was treated in the same manner.

Result no failures to date, after hundreds of tests, and actual starts.

Please note that on the x250 model, the code receiver function is performed by the body computer.

PS. Other things to consider are the possibility of large metal objects on key ring absorbing the radio signals, or even a second chipped vehicle key which will interfere with the coded radio signal.

Last edited:
If the padlock icon does not go out, then the engine will not start.

2006 was a model changeover year. Is your vehicle an x244, or the later x250 model? See VIN, either ZFA244xxxxxx, or ZFA250xxxxxxx. There were large changes to the wiring between models, as well as the external styling.

It seems possible that the immobiliser operation on your vehicle may be marginal, and that disconnecting the battery allows a small increase in battery voltage which is sufficient to enable operation.

Is this problem something new, or have you been having problems for some time?

Just over a year ago my 2006 x244, would not restart after a brief halt. OK at second attempt. As it is a PVC, not used much last winter, but in March I had 2 out of 5 failures for the immobiliser to go out.

I reasoned that the radio signals to and from the key are at a very low voltage, and may not be able to overcome any oxidation (tarnish) at connector contacts.

On the x244 the code receiver is located in the steering column, and connects to the aerial ring around the ignition switch via a short cable, I unplugged and reseated this cable, applying contact cleaner in the process. For good measure the larger connector was treated in the same manner.

Result no failures to date, after hundreds of tests, and actual starts.

Please note that on the x250 model, the code receiver function is performed by the body computer.

PS. Other things to consider are the possibility of large metal objects on key ring absorbing the radio signals, or even a second chipped vehicle key which will interfere with the coded radio signal.
Thanks Communicator I will give it a go. Not today though,off to Rugby soon.:)

Back