General Jump start connection

Currently reading:
General Jump start connection

Adger49

I have a high pressure (100 psi max) Ring tyre inflator that is fitted with crocodile clips for hooking up to the 12 volts. On my previous 2014 Ducato I used the jump start points under the bonnet. On my new 2023 the +ve terminal is hidden lower in the engine bay and not very obvious so it started me thinking. The 2023 is fitted with a smart alternator and fancy electronics that I’m trying to get my head around.
The question is does anyone know whether it is ok to use the +ve point and chassis -ve designed for jump starting to connect a current draw on without causing a problem elsewhere? Thanks for any opinions.

I have a 2021 Ducato with Smart Alternator.
As far as I can see its fine. The jump start connection under the bonnet goes straight to the main battery (via a hefty fuse) so no problem at all.
I have used it for battery charging and connecting a tyre inflator.
(stick a flat screwdriver in the slot in the cap over the positive connection to prise it open)
PS: You can start the engine to speed up the inflator and avoid the possibility of a flat starter battery.

Last edited:
Reg 65. Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I tried opening the +ve cap by hand with no success so I will try as you suggested. You have to wonder whether designers ever test their own products, we’ve now had 3 Motorhomes over the last 20 years and I see the same basic problems repeated. That’s my moan over, thanks again.

Back