Technical Engine stutters at and above 2000 rpm

Currently reading:
Technical Engine stutters at and above 2000 rpm

Shaggy1966

Hi Everyone ! (My 1st thread )

I have a 2008 Ducato 3.0lt comfortmatic motorhome that I am at my wits end with as I’ve had this problem for over 5yrs now and after numerous diagnostics, new clutch, new egr, new throttle body and countless hrs of stress I thought I would see if anyone can help me ?

what happens is - when driving at 2000rpm and above the engine stutters for a second or two , this is not when accelerating hard but when cruising especially around 50mph and above. This happens in 5th and 6th gears mainly not usually under 2000rpm.

I have looked thru previous comfortmatic problems and have not yet come across this !

please can anyone give me advice to rectify this problem for good ?
many thanks

Total guess, but throttle pedal or associated wiring and connectors behind dash board?
I am thinking along the lines of a "duff spot" on the TP when trying to hold a fixed position.

Hi Bugsymike
Thanks for your thoughts !
Wouldn’t TP fault show up on diagnostics ?as it’s been on fault reader numerous times but never shown a fault !
But I can see your train of thought as it does seem to do it when the TP is held in the same position.

Also when I first noticed it
it was just a little blip but has progressively got worse over the years

I know on some diagnostics you can gradually depress the accelerator and get a progressive reading on your diagnostic screen.
I am not sure if the analogy is correct but I was thinking back in the old days as the fuel sender in the petrol tank moved it across a series of windings the resistance would change in the same way as a potentiometer works and if one part was worn or dirty the gauge could drop until the fuel level changed and the float sender moved to a good spot and became accurate again.
I know this is in simplistic terms, but if you moved the accelerator pedal a fraction up or down would the issue go away, as a test?
Perhaps someone else on the Forum can comment?
Do you have cruise control and if so does it do it then?

Hi !
Thank you for your reply. I understand what your saying but I’m assuming it’s fly by wire accelerator and I recently had a problem on our 500 accelerator pedal which brought a code up ! Would this do the same? It does have cruise control and I can’t say I have noticed it when it’s on ! Although it does like to change much more frequently !

Hi !
Thank you for your reply. I understand what your saying but I’m assuming it’s fly by wire accelerator and I recently had a problem on our 500 accelerator pedal which brought a code up ! Would this do the same? It does have cruise control and I can’t say I have noticed it when it’s on ! Although it does like to change much more frequently !
I am thinking it is because it is "fly by wire" that whatever changes the voltage as you press the pedal could be faulty in the way I described, by having a dead spot.
I am guessing that the cruise control only needs the throttle pedal when you manual change speed to disable the cruise control, same as if you touch the brake pedal.

Diagnostic systems are not infallible .
Only after talking to the driver and gaining as much information regarding the issue/s can the fault finding start, part of which is intergatating the on-board ecu/s , then possibly reading live data from ecu/s. All the info should then be considered as a whole.
Lots of workshops don't allow enough time for a proper diagnostic procedure.
Lots of owners don't want to pay for a proper diagnostic procedure.

How many miles has vehicle covered?
When fuel filter last replaced? - which brand used?
Same for air filter?

Vehicle has covered 55k , the fuel filter was replaced at fiat (about 20k ago) so I’m assuming it’s a genuine part and the air filter is a crossland I think !
Should these parts be replaced again ?

Where would I get diagnostics like that ? I have had it at Iveco/ fiat who say there is no software updates for this year as it uses old software?

Noooooooo crosland filters dreadful.
Yes replace air filter with a good brand.
How many years was 20,000 miles ago? Did problem change when filter last replaced?
When oil and oil filter last replaced.

Oil / filter change done 6.5k ago and just checked it was Bosch air filter same time.

Well looking at the average mileage per yr it was probably 4 to 5 years ago for diesel filter

I think I had the fuel filter changed because I had this problem so I guess it didn’t make any difference

Back