General Ducato 2000 radio replacement

Currently reading:
General Ducato 2000 radio replacement

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

Stevekel10

Hi all, just recently purchased a 2000 ducato benimar 5 berth. Looking to change the current stereo for a carplay model, but having difficulty finding a suitable option, due to the small matter of the gearstick position. Any recommendations or advice on appliances. Thanks Steve

Hi all, just recently purchased a 2000 ducato benimar 5 berth. Looking to change the current stereo for a carplay model, but having difficulty finding a suitable option, due to the small matter of the gearstick position. Any recommendations or advice on appliances. Thanks Steve

Yeah i had the same problem with a 2000 Hymer . I came across a single din radio on line with a folding screen , that seemed to fit with what i was looking for , but there were issues . It was an unknown brand to me by a Chinese manufacturer , and reliability appeared to be a problem . Many reviews reported the unit failing to work after little more than 6 months , and customer service was virtually non-existent . After you brought the unit , they simply didn't want to know you anymore . Many reviews were not very flattering , and there was no response from the manufacturer .

So i went outside the box and converted the dashboard to accept a double din Kenwood media unit . I had already learnt to weld plastic due to some bumper work that was needed , and repositioning of the cigarette lighter was required . There was plenty of room behind the original radio panel , though the wiring was in a considerable state , and desperately needed tidying . Not unusual for a motorhome you may say . I also lost the ash tray , but as i no longer smoke , this was hardly a problem . I'm pleased with the result , but would i recommend this path for others to follow . Well the truth is , i'm not sure . It's a long , and very involved process . Some parts need to be recycled , requiring very careful removal and then replacement in a new position . Patience is a must , and if it starts to go wrong , walking away to start another day . Care must be taken to avoid distortion due to the welding process , we are after all mixing heat and plastic here . Below are a couple of old photographs taken while work was in progress .

378743-55ef5913843a8a3edd3d9b4801ae7fe2.jpg Basically this is what i began with , the original radio panel .
378744-44af04dafd64d63b6959cd81060bf7c3.jpg
and this is what it ended up as .
378745-6a36ab4dd427b56cfc98e0ede240fde1.jpg
This is the most advanced photograph i have , but does include the upper switch panel .

The upper panel has been modified to accept an analogue clock , and the middle switch hole reduced in diameter to accept a cigarette lighter . Below the fan speed switch on the heater panel , there is also new provision for a small three position switch that controls a dashboard mounted cooling fan . This was a real pain to form as it was deemed it should look original to the van . To this end extra parts needed to be sourced and these were very difficult . Several more photographs were taken whilst the work was in full swing , and originally planned to have formed a basic how too . But it's now doubtful as to whether this will ever be published , as these photographs are on my other computer which suffered a major failure last year , and i've not been able to recover those photo thus far . As such these may have to be classed as lost . Though the computer is basically scrap i do still have it , just on the off chance i am able to recover them , but that's not the end of the story . Just to rub more salt into the wound , i do have newer advanced photographs of these panels beginning to enter final finishing on my phone , but the battery had to be scrapped due to a distinct bulge at Christmas . These are on the phone memory , and at present also unreachable , though like the computer i do still have the thing .
Right now , these panels are finally away being custom finished , with a process i was unable to learn , i did try ! . There is no completion date for this work except this year , basically i'm having a wood finish applied to all the switch panels .

Thanks for that, I'm not at the plastic welding stage🤔so I'm going to just go for a single din 8 in fixed screen.

Thanks for that, I'm not at the plastic welding stage🤔so I'm going to just go for a single din 8 in fixed screen.
Yes , i can fully understand that . As i said it's a very involved process , so i'm not sure i can recommend that course of action for everyone . Plastic welding is not difficult to learn , and tools are not that expensive . A stainless mesh is employed to strengthen a joint but can be tricky to use , plus it takes time to learn how to make a tidy joint . It's not dissimilar to modelling or at least a form of modelling "scratch building" , this is the level of work your getting involved in . In the past when i was younger , i have modified plastic model kits to make other none kitted versions . For instance a standard B1 Lancaster bomber , into a B1 mk 3 bomber , probably better know as the Dambuster version .
In my case , i started with a bumper , which took me a total of three days to repair , so had a fairly easy , easing into this kind of work . Its size aided the learning sequence , and the bumper was basically scrap anyway . So i had nothing to lose , they are still available but with a heavy price tag , plus the cost of importation from Germany . Yet this is not the case with dashboard parts , new panels are simply not available anywhere , though second hand parts do come up from time to time , generally from a breakers yard . They are often small , intricate , and some may even be completely irreplaceable , so you don't want to be wrecking them unnecessarily . And lets not forget a left hooker can present extra sourcing extra problems , as the parts can only be found abroad . Mine is a leftie , and the evidence of that statement is my fuse box replacement . It took 3 years to eventually locate , and came from Lithuania .

What i would advise , is when you do find a suitable radio , research it carefully . Not only the radio either , research the supplier . Read the reviews , and not just those attached to the advert . Check online reviews too , google can often find a site somewhere .

Last edited:
Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back