General Engine stops??

Currently reading:
General Engine stops??

Ozstriker

Hi all if checked the manual and cannot see anything and also googled it but nothing. I noticed it the other day when I pulled up outside my mates house, when I open the drivers door while the engine is running it cuts out and I have to start the car again. Is this normal??

Oz

If it does it every time, it is probably intended. This feature is probably there as a safety measure.
It is actually an offence to get out of your car leaving the engine running unless it is for diagnosis purposes, e.g. listening for an unusual noise. A very old offence of "Quitting a motor vehicle". Highway Code Rule 123 relates to Construction and Use regulations. Also rule 239.
Not an offence if the vehicle is off the road.

Hi all if checked the manual and cannot see anything and also googled it but nothing. I noticed it the other day when I pulled up outside my mates house, when I open the drivers door while the engine is running it cuts out and I have to start the car again. Is this normal??

Oz

If you de-activate the S/S does it still happen ?

Il have a go today by turning off the SS,just seems weird as I've never had it on a car before

I've been advised otherwise, but that could be wrong. Still not a good idea.

From my early days (1962 > 1971). The offence was leaving a vehicle unattended with the engine running and not setting the handbrake. Bread & Butter summons job in those days.

Oz
In Dualogic cars, when you open the door the car goes automatically into netural.

I've been advised otherwise, but that could be wrong. Still not a good idea.

The Construction and Use regulations refer to "..on a road..", so off road is not strictly an offence. "Road" can be assumed to mean any where with public access, like a supermarket car park, but your drive is not public.

That would also trigger stop start,if its turned on.

SS on dualogics works slightly differently to Manual cars I believe, so don't think it will, as with dualogics the brake pedal has to be held I believe, which is bad as you shouldn't really sit on it dazzling drivers behind you but hey ho :p

I think it might have been that id pulled up and got out and the car was in S&S mode so wouldnt rev until placed into gear. I have tried it when its just in neutral and everything is fine.

Double checked today and its when I pull up and the stop/start kicks in, if I then open the drivers door and get out and then get back in the car has shut itself down, wont start back up when I put it in first and says stop/start unavailable. Just need to make sure that I turn it off when dropping people off etc

Double checked today and its when I pull up and the stop/start kicks in, if I then open the drivers door and get out and then get back in the car has shut itself down, wont start back up when I put it in first and says stop/start unavailable. Just need to make sure that I turn it off when dropping people off etc

I don't have S/S but is it not instinctive to turn the ignition off before you get out?

Not when I'm dropping people off,usually kick it into neutral then they get out,I get back in and put it in first

That's the S/S working as it should, it disables itself if you open the door when it is Stop Mode and you have to restart with the key, A Logical safety feature, the car does not know who is getting back in to the drivers seat and the new occupant may not be aware of the mode the car has been left in..

Back