General engine mountings

Currently reading:
General engine mountings

brava1.4

Hi, I have a Brava 1.4 1998.

Can a faulty rear engine mounting cause problems when pulling away in first gear, i.e shuddering, jumping etc. But cause no further problems when driving in general. As the problem only happens when you pull away from rest, or when you use the clutch peddle in traffic (you keep pressing and releasing the peddle).

Is there a way I can test the rear engine mounting?
If it needs replacing, how much will the part cost?

thanks

The rear mounting is easy to inspect under the car. I would have thought a few light shoves with a hand or hammer would show up any movement. Also, it is easy to check security of bolts to the gearbox/engine on the arm itself. On the Tipo, which is a similar set up, I seem to remember there is a rubber pad lashed round the mounting arm (from the gearbox/engine) which insulates vibration from the mounting turrent bolted to the car (near the subframe).

it could be the engine mount, revving your engine while watching how much it moves would be a very easy indicator, it shouldnt rotate very much. your problem sounds more like clutch judder, actually it sounds exactly like clutch judder.

Back