Technical Engine light

Currently reading:
Technical Engine light

Thanks how do I read the code? I don’t have a manual with the car
Many of us on here use Multiecuscan : http://www.multiecuscan.net/ also worth giving the guys at Gendan a ring as they supply good quality interfaces and will advise you without pressurizing you with sales talk: https://www.gendan.co.uk/multiecusc...oL9EtGCyRDL5EfJeu26MPwjT0bs2EbZYaApMuEALw_wcB
You could try telling us roughly where in the country you are as there may be a forum member with MES somewhere near you who could help.

Edit. Oops, just clocked you are in/near Lancaster, sorry. Anyone near there who could help?

My engine light is on and the stop start not available is also on. Drive ok but any ideas?
Awe thanks, I’ve not had it long & I think timings out. Thanks for your help
If the timing was "out" then it wouldn't drive Ok. Has this just happened or is it a long term thing?

You haven't said but I'm presuming this is a 1.2 with a cam belt? (ie, not a chain driven twin air?) silly question but had to ask for the sake of clarity.

It could be worth just popping the top belt cover off and seeing if the belt is slack or obviously damaged. However I think your best starting point, as the MIL is lit, is to see what fault codes are logged.

Do you know if the belt has ever been renewed? with 60,000 miles on it it's certainly due but well overdue at 13 years old if it's taken on age. If you suspect it's never been changed I'd be getting this checked, like the day before yesterday! and not string it 'till I knew it wasn't a belt problem. I believe all 500 1.2 engines are interference so if the belt skips more than a tooth or two the pistons and valves will get overly "friendly".

Last edited:
I believe that the OP has never read fault codes so, buying a professional toolkit is not an option. A generic fault could reader, bluetooth elm327 you can get from an autoparts store and you can download a free android app to pull the ecu fault codes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner

However if you think it is a little too complicated, you could ask in the neighborhood if there's a good neighbor who has fault code reader and could he help to read the codes. Many people have them. Of course the easiest thing is to go to some independent garage and ask which diagnostic tools they have and what it costs to get the diagnostics done to the car.

I believe that the OP has never read fault codes so, buying a professional toolkit is not an option. A generic fault could reader, bluetooth elm327 you can get from an autoparts store and you can download a free android app to pull the ecu fault codes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner

However if you think it is a little too complicated, you could ask in the neighborhood if there's a good neighbor who has fault code reader and could he help to read the codes. Many people have them. Of course the easiest thing is to go to some independent garage and ask which diagnostic tools they have and what it costs to get the diagnostics done to the car.
I think both those options would be good. If you've no experience of doing this sort of thing it can be very difficult to understand. Took me quite a while to get my MES interface to link between the laptop and vehicle - Still causes me "moments" even though I've been "fiddling" around with scanners for years.

If the timing was "out" then it wouldn't drive Ok.
Depends how much it's out by. If the cam pulley was loosened when replacing the belt, the timing could have been set anywhere; I can believe that if it's out by less than a whole tooth, it could be enough to put the engine light on without showing obvious signs of distress. And the engine light may only be triggered once a certain rpm is reached, so if driven gently, this could happen some time after the belt was actually changed.

That said, I'd agree the next step is to get any fault codes read before trying to second guess what might be wrong with it.

Thanks it’s 61 plate 60k mikes

Hi :)

The Stop-Start is automatically disabled when an error light is active ( not an error with S-S..)

Other could well be a simple thing.. vague misfire detected as an example

How long have you owned this car?

Where are you based..somebody might be able to offer advice on local options

Main dealer could want @£90 just to read codes.. you can do it yourself for less than £20.. at your leisure

Charlie - near the M4

You haven't said but I'm presuming this is a 1.2 with a cam belt? (ie, not a chain driven twin air?) silly question but had to ask for the sake of clarity.

It could be worth just popping the top belt cover off and seeing if the belt is slack or obviously damaged. However I think your best starting point, as the MIL is lit, is to see what fault codes are logged.

Do you know if the belt has ever been renewed? with 60,000 miles on it it's certainly due but well overdue at 13 years old if it's taken on age. If you suspect it's never been changed I'd be getting this checked, like the day before yesterday! and not string it 'till I knew it wasn't a belt problem. I believe all 500 1.2 engines are interference so if the belt skips more than a tooth or two the pistons and valves will get overly "friendly".
Thanks I did google and it said cambelt
I’m taking it back to garage I bought it from tomorrow 👍

You can get the engine light and no S/S after the cam has been done if the phonic wheel re learn procedure has not been done after!

I know from experience….. and it takes minutes to complete 🤣 thankfully I do all my own repairs so I don’t pay labour 💪🏻 MES is a must if you’re going to own a 500! If not prepare to spend money on labour charges

Many of us on here use Multiecuscan : http://www.multiecuscan.net/ also worth giving the guys at Gendan a ring as they supply good quality interfaces and will advise you without pressurizing you with sales talk: https://www.gendan.co.uk/multiecusc...oL9EtGCyRDL5EfJeu26MPwjT0bs2EbZYaApMuEALw_wcB
You could try telling us roughly where in the country you are as there may be a forum member with MES somewhere near you who could help. Check out. Edit. Oops, just clocked you are in/near Lancaster, sorry. Anyone near there who could help?
I often use Multiecuscan! Ideal for preliminary problem analysis!

Back