Technical Driving light issue

Currently reading:
Technical Driving light issue

Oldschooljon

Bit of an odd one, my daughters 2013
500 lounge has an issue with the driving lights. The nearside one comes on but offside doesn’t, when you turn the main lights on the nearside goes off and the offside comes on. I had a look at the connectors and no sign of corrosion. Sprayed with electrical contact cleaner for good measure but nothing. She’s now told me it needs an MOT on 11th March and I suspect she’s going to have to go to a dealer or auto electrician. Anyone else had this?

Halfords didn't test the lights once new bulbs installed?
You can turn off the DRL lights for the MOT but side light must work
The bulbs are twin filament dim for the side lights bright for the day running lights.
You can easily test the side lights open door, key OUT turn on "headlights " now only the side lights will be on, check all are working?

Last edited:
Once you've tested the lights, turn them off, now start the car, do you get "check day running lights" message and the yellow triangle? at the front, headlights off is one bumper mounted light 'bright' the other off?
this should be the correct bulb https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lucas-580-12v-21w-5w-capless-bulb-single-pack-481770912

To access bulb wheel off, remove wing guard panel, remove rubber cover, use a spanner if required to turn holder, lift out, inspect, remove bulb and look at the holder for any damage overheating etc. If bulb correct one and both filaments good/working then its a bumper off job( 20 mins), not hard if its been off before, a bit of a pain if not( couple of hours )

When I've read the thread and found out that they are twin filament the first idea I got was if they weren't turned around and installed the in wrong position... The car has CAN, it can detect improper resistance and get confused...

A small off-topic, linguistic question, sorry.

On a RHD vehicle offside is left side of the car and nearside is right hand side. And on the LHD vehicle? Offside becomes the right hand side? And on o motorbike, what are the sides called in English? Is it universal, or also depends on the side of the road we're using?

Last edited:
On a RHD vehicle offside is left side of the car and nearside is right hand side. And on the LHD vehicle? Offside becomes the right hand side? And on o motorbike, what are the sides called in English? Is it universal, or also depends on the side of the road we're using?
As I understand and use them; 'nearside' is the passenger side, and 'offside' is the driver's side whether the car is LHD or RHD. Could be confusing if you drive a RHD car in a LHD country. 🙃

As I understand and use them; 'nearside' is the passenger side, and 'offside' is the driver's side whether the car is LHD or RHD. Could be confusing if you drive a RHD car in a LHD country. 🙃
SO on a bike offside is "front" and nearside is "back "unless you have a side-car in which case the seat in that is called "the naughty step!" :ROFLMAO:

Well it was taken out of my hands as she wanted it fixed this week as the only MOT slot she could get was today and I work full time, so it went into a garage. Before she did, I tested the lights, door open key out lights on, then lights off engine on, then lights on - see photos. The garage changed all the bulbs and it now works!

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2928.jpeg
    IMG_2928.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Yes, she’s not the most careful driver, I refurbed the wheels when we got it and she’s kurbed them all, the light is badly scratched due to a gatepost🙄

More than likely John and I’ll suggest she complains. Last time I went into Halfrauds I was stopped by a meet and greet person who wanted to know what I wanted. I said black satin aerosol and went to go past them and they stepped in front of me and said but what vehicle make? I said just satin black, to which they replied, we only do vehicle makes now, like BMW black. Now I know they do satin black but decided that if they are going to employ morons to actually put off customers, then I wouldn’t be shopping there again. Got some quality paint delivered to me next day by Amazon!

More than likely John and I’ll suggest she complains. Last time I went into Halfrauds I was stopped by a meet and greet person who wanted to know what I wanted. I said black satin aerosol and went to go past them and they stepped in front of me and said but what vehicle make? I said just satin black, to which they replied, we only do vehicle makes now, like BMW black. Now I know they do satin black but decided that if they are going to employ morons to actually put off customers, then I wouldn’t be shopping there again. Got some quality paint delivered to me next day by Amazon!
Dont disagree -but a lot of the time its desperate people who need the work! poorly trained and thrown into the deep end by managers who sit on there arses it the office all day and who are "unavailable!" if you ask to speak to whos running the place!.
used to be a good shop but has lost its way in todays marketplace!.

Back