Technical Engine light flashing and car stalling - Fiat Punto

Currently reading:
Technical Engine light flashing and car stalling - Fiat Punto

JodieW

Hello!

Newbie here, owner of 65 plate Punto looking for advice. I'll keep it short...

Car was serviced, was recommended that I had a new timing belt fitted - took it to another garage (200 cheaper than original quote) for timing belt to be changed. Timing belt was changed and the same day following collection of the vehicle, the engine light started flashing and the car stalling. Took it back to garage where timing belt had been changed and did diagnostic test, which showed cylinder 1&4 was misfiring. The took the car back and changed the ignition coil and when I picked it up, all seemed fine, however, 2 miles in the drive the same thing happened again, engine light flashing and stalling. Was advised that if this wasn't the issue, it could potentially be the ECU (computer in the car?! - apologies for the terminology!) Garage said that they wouldn't take responsibility for this as they only changed the timing belt.

I took the car to a friend of a friend who works for fiat, he did a phonic wheel drive set (?!?) all seemed fine until this morning and BAM the engine light came on again and car has been stalling.

Any advise?

Hello!

Car was serviced, was recommended that I had a new timing belt fitted - took it to another garage (200 cheaper than original quote) for timing belt to be changed. Timing belt was changed and the same day following collection of the vehicle, the engine light started flashing and the car stalling. Took it back to garage where timing belt had been changed and did diagnostic test, which showed cylinder 1&4 was misfiring. The took the car back and changed the ignition coil and when I picked it up, all seemed fine, however, 2 miles in the drive the same thing happened again, engine light flashing and stalling. Was advised that if this wasn't the issue, it could potentially be the ECU (computer in the car?! - apologies for the terminology!) Garage said that they wouldn't take responsibility for this as they only changed the timing belt.

I took the car to a friend of a friend who works for fiat, he did a phonic wheel drive set (?!?) all seemed fine until this morning and BAM the engine light came on again and car has been stalling.

Any advise?

Go back to friend with the fiat friend and ask them to look again.
I was thinking phonic wheel relearn so fiat friend sounds on right track.

The first garage who did the cambelt has made an error. Probably they have not aligned the crankshaft pulley hole onto a small dimple correctly. Phonic wheel relearn will not help in that case.

Second possibility that the engine's not timed correctly, which is their mistake too.

They should refund you for the labor & parts for the ignition coil change. It was completely unnecessary. Of course an error that came after the cambelt job are linked. They are quite incompetent.

Hello!

Car was serviced, was recommended that I had a new timing belt fitted - took it to another garage (200 cheaper than original quote) for timing belt to be changed. Timing belt was changed and the same day following collection of the vehicle, the engine light started flashing and the car stalling. Took it back to garage where timing belt had been changed and did diagnostic test, which showed cylinder 1&4 was misfiring.

Any advise?

Hi

Its likely that the cambelt work has caused this fault

Wether a poor job timing the belt.. or damage to a wire..or sensor

Odd that it will be 'o.k.' for a little while though

Where are you based.. somebody might have access to the correct plug in kit to reliably read errors

As clearing and seeing what reappears is the best way forward currently

The 'misfire 1+4' isnt the commonest 'timing belt error'.. so I think you need the engines own kit to guide you here

Easy to swap lots of parts unnecessarily
:-(

Charlie - near the M4

Back