Technical Car keeps randomly sounding funny and battery light will come on?

Currently reading:
Technical Car keeps randomly sounding funny and battery light will come on?

Riggs03

Wondering if someone could help me! I will be driving 40/50/60mph and randomly out the blue my car will sound funny and the battery light will come on. If I pull over and turn engine off sometimes it stops right away but sometimes it carries on? It will then be fine for a few days/weeks then it will happen away! Sometimes the power seems to go on it? I’ve taken it to several garages and they can’t find anything wrong with it! I’ll attach a video of what it sounds like!

Many thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_6097.mov
    23.8 MB
Hi 🙂

The Alternator on the 199 puntos have a bit of a thing for Alternators.. (That is what generates the electrical power)

So a funny noise AND a Battery(charge) warning light would appear to point that way..

So this NOISE.. does it NEVER happen with the engine off?
Nope! Never happens with then the engines off! Here’s another video of it… sorry I’m not very good with cars so difficult to describe 😂
Hi 🙂

The Alternator on the 199 puntos have a bit of a thing for Alternators.. (That is what generates the electrical power)

So a funny noise AND a Battery(charge) warning light would appear to point that way..

Hi 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_4416.mov
    19.5 MB
Nope! Never happens with then the engines off! Here’s another video of it… sorry I’m not very good with cars so difficult to describe 😂
I've not listened.. As its often misleading (one phones microphone.. And another phones Speaker..) 🤔

The Alternator is driven by the engine turning with the "fan belt"

So makes perfect sense 👍

Battery light is a simple indication that the battery is not charging or rather the alternator is not making enough power to charge the battery. So I’d go with what Charlie has suggested already and look at the alternator.

Earlier Punto grandes had an issue with the scuttle drains dropping directly into the alternator, but I have a feeling they fitted a modified “duck bill” as standard to the Evo, that being said if the drain is blocked or damaged water could bypass it and drop onto the alternator again so you will need to make sure the scuttle area and drains are free of debris, water and the duck bills are clear if you are going to fit a new alternator

Thank you for your replies, you have been really helpful 😁 weirdly it hasn’t done it since!! so im A bit baffled!

Back