Technical Car goes into limp mode after 3000 rpm

Currently reading:
Technical Car goes into limp mode after 3000 rpm

hassi1on1

Hi
I have a Fiat Punto Easy 1.2 2013 which goes into limp mode whenever it goes over 3000 rpm
When this happens, the engine management light comes on and the car loses most of its power. When this happens, I come to a complete stop then at idle the engine doesn't seem to be running very smoothly, theres a lot of vibrations in the car and shaking. It then needs to be switched off then on again to go back to normal.

The diagnostics always shows a misfire at cylinder 3, however ive showed it to a few mechanics and the spark plugs seem fine

The car runs perfectly fine under 3000 rpm, with no problems at all. However at any instance it goes over 3000rpm it goes into limp mode

Ive searched a few forums and haven't found any solutions yet, would be greatly appreciated if people could help me out
Thanks

Hi
I have a Fiat Punto Easy 1.2 2013 which goes into limp mode whenever it goes over 3000 rpm
When this happens, the engine management light comes on and the car loses most of its power. When this happens, I come to a complete stop then at idle the engine doesn't seem to be running very smoothly, theres a lot of vibrations in the car and shaking. It then needs to be switched off then on again to go back to normal.

The diagnostics always shows a misfire at cylinder 3, however ive showed it to a few mechanics and the spark plugs seem fine

The car runs perfectly fine under 3000 rpm, with no problems at all. However at any instance it goes over 3000rpm it goes into limp mode

Ive searched a few forums and haven't found any solutions yet, would be greatly appreciated if people could help me out
Thanks

No search results.. 🤔

Odd - because that is a common mode of failure on here

Commonly found following a Timing belt change.. It just needs the Ecu relearning the timing inputs from the 2 timing sensors

No search results.. 🤔

Odd - because that is a common mode of failure on here

Commonly found following a Timing belt change.. It just needs the Ecu relearning the timing inputs from the 2 timing sensors
You beat me to it Charlie. Wouldn't harm to do a "Phonic Wheel Relearn" seeing as how it's a simple enough procedure - providing you've got a scanner, like MES for instance, which is needed to do it. hassi, there's a MES (Multiecuscan) scan owner's register if you look on the forum home page, maybe someone near you could help?

Edit. If a new belt hasn't been recently fitted it might be a good idea to slip the top belt cover off and check the belt isn't slack. Although if it runs well after turning the ignition off and on again it's likely all is well and it just needs a reset.

You beat me to it Charlie. Wouldn't harm to do a "Phonic Wheel Relearn" seeing as how it's a simple enough procedure - providing you've got a scanner, like MES for instance, which is needed to do it. hassi, there's a MES (Multiecuscan) scan owner's register if you look on the forum home page, maybe someone near you could help?

Edit. If a new belt hasn't been recently fitted it might be a good idea to slip the top belt cover off and check the belt isn't slack. Although if it runs well after turning the ignition off and on again it's likely all is well and it just needs a reset.
Thanks

I will give this a go, i bought the car with this known problem from someone else so im not 100% sure whether its had its timing belt changed or not
But i hope a Phonic Wheel Relearn will fix this issue

Are you sure this issue can only be related with the timing belt and its not associated with any other possible fault?

Are you sure this issue can only be related with the timing belt and its not associated with any other possible fault?
No..
Nothing is guaranteed

But it's very low risk in both time and money

The relearn Should be part of the procedure.. But Is often overlooked

So ensuring it Has been done is an obvious next step

Thanks

I will give this a go, i bought the car with this known problem from someone else so im not 100% sure whether its had its timing belt changed or not
But i hope a Phonic Wheel Relearn will fix this issue

Oh there could be many other reasons, but this is probably the most likely, needs no dismantling to carry out the learn procedure and can be done quickly if a suitable scanner/dealer tool is available. If it continues to do it after then you're likely going to be into checking coils and HT leads, because this sort of thing is most usually electrical - Did they actually try a new plug? You can learn quite a lot by swapping stuff like plugs and HT leads around and seeing if the missfire changes to another cylinder. So swapping the No2 and No3 plugs over and seeing if it's now No2 that missfires. If that makes no difference then try swapping the No2 and No3 HT leads. depends on what coil pack you have but on some they have twin coils (like my Panda) where you can even swap the coils over. "Weird stuff" like valves sticking, can also happen - but let's check the easy stuff first. Unlikely you've got a compression problem if it's running well at lower engine speeds.

One of the many threads..

This was a complex timing issue..

Simpler one below

Simpler issue :

Last edited:
Back