Technical Help with limp mode

Currently reading:
Technical Help with limp mode

Hully

Hello all, my beloved 1.2 2013 punto had a belt and water pump change and snce then it goes into limp mode every 2-3 miles. Codes are usually multiple or random misfire. It never had this problem prior to the belt change. Coils have been replaced and a phonic wheel align but the problem still persists. It is going back to the garage yet again for them to probably say yet again "dunno, belt change was fine". When not in limp mode it is running lovely. Any ideas or any tech folks living in and around Hull/East Yorkshire area to give it a once over?
Thank you .

Hi

Late reply.. :)

Does it drive fine at any point..

Has the MPG taken a downward turn?

As you will have seen.. the mistiming after a belt change is favourite..

Got any updates?
Hiya, so far since I did a phonic wheel relearn a couple of weeks ago it’s been fine. Been doing a few motorway runs and a few steep hills so it has really tested the motor.
I pushed the boat out and invested in multiecuscan. So while hooked up, did the phonic bit, orange light flashed and went off and it’s been great since. Codes was all random or/and 1/2/3/4 pot misfire etc etc.

Hi

Late reply.. :)

Does it drive fine at any point..

Has the MPG taken a downward turn?

As you will have seen.. the mistiming after a belt change is favourite..

Got any updates?
It did drive ok intermittently and the MPG did dip noticeably but all appear to be a previous levels 👍

Hi @Hully - can you say exactly what was involved in the phonic learn? I'm in the same situation with engine light on after a cambelt change. I've tried several phonic learns but it hasn't worked. I've rechecked the valve timing and it is fine. I'm wondering if I am doing things in a wrong sequence or something. Can you detail the precise steps you took, including whether engine was running or not at each stage, etc. Thanks!!!

Nick

Hiya Nick. Yer no probs.
Because my limp mode was intermittent I did it when limp mode was not on. Because it limits the revs. I had car hooked up to multiecuscan whilst I did it.
So I turn car on and started engine. I didn’t rev the engine and sat waiting for it to get upto normal temp.
When at normal temp, revved to around 5250 revs in one Swift go. Foot of pedal and it returned to tick over. I then repeated this a further three times. The amber engine light flashed on and went off.
I know you won’t be able to do it if limp mode kicks in, but if yours is like mine. I turned car off and restarted and it limp mode disappeared for a while, long enough for me to do the sequence.
Let me know how you get on.

Thanks - I'm not having any luck at all, though my car must be in limp mode as the revs when stationary won't go above 5,000, and it's restricted on full throttle when moving (even worse with the air con on...)

I've tried waiting 60 seconds after hitting the MES button before doing the 3 rev-ups, doing it immediately, waiting 10 seconds then restarting afterwards (or not), and also tried it with the Punto MES program for the same version of the engine software (and even Euro 5 versions although they return an incorrect ISO code but do supposedly do the procedures). No joy.

I have a camshaft assembly position error (P0016-76) at the same time as the phonic wheel learn error, neither of which I can clear. The valve timing is bang on.

I also attempted a throttle relearn in case that helped, but now I've got an incomplete throttle learn error! Arrggh!

Perhaps I have to get it out of limp mode somehow. I've disconnected the battery and am going to leave it for at least 24hrs. I'll also check the wiring plugs while I'm there.

Couldn't find the old banging-head-on-brick-wall emoji, but that's how I feel!

Nick

Thanks - I'm not having any luck at all, though my car must be in limp mode as the revs when stationary won't go above 5,000, and it's restricted on full throttle when moving (even worse with the air con on...)

I've tried waiting 60 seconds after hitting the MES button before doing the 3 rev-ups, doing it immediately, waiting 10 seconds then restarting afterwards (or not), and also tried it with the Punto MES program for the same version of the engine software (and even Euro 5 versions although they return an incorrect ISO code but do supposedly do the procedures). No joy.

I have a camshaft assembly position error (P0016-76) at the same time as the phonic wheel learn error, neither of which I can clear. The valve timing is bang on.

I also attempted a throttle relearn in case that helped, but now I've got an incomplete throttle learn error! Arrggh!

Perhaps I have to get it out of limp mode somehow. I've disconnected the battery and am going to leave it for at least 24hrs. I'll also check the wiring plugs while I'm there.

Couldn't find the old banging-head-on-brick-wall emoji, but that's how I feel!

Nick
Have a look at the sensors and wires. Make sure they are in secure and not been moved when belt change done.
But, it has to be out of limp mode to rev above 5k.
Is your limp mode intermittent or perm on?

It has been permanently on - which is difficult to know how to resolve in the case of the (very slightly) changed valve timing, as the error won't clear to switch off limp mode (and therefore is maybe a block to the phonic relearn).

I've had the battery disconnected in an attempt to make the ECU forget the error - and done all the old wives' tales for a hard reset like touching the disconnected battery leads together, pressing the brake pedal for 15 seconds, drinking a glass of water upside down (oh hang on, that's something else). Will know later if that has worked.....

Nick

Back