Technical Engine fault analyser

Currently reading:
Technical Engine fault analyser

Clutha

Hi, 1st post, looking forward to info exchanges.

Our 2012 Ducato 130 motorhome developed an engine fault light which we got reset, ( All Commercials Oban )
It was the DPF and it came on again a few hours later.
I decided to get a DIY analyser but the ebay seller did not give notice on their advert that it didn't suit diesel engines!

Can I ask for advice on a reasonably priced unit that would fit the bill.

MULTIECUSCAN registered version - €50
+
ELM327 - anything from €5 from China to €35 From UK(WITH ADAPTER CABLES FOR ABS AIRBAG ETC.)

Thank you.

Looks like it's not for Macs :-(

Last edited:
Thanks again!
I'm an Apple only user and now I've found out via the 'Apple discussions' site that this is a known Apple issue.
So, I'm going to go down the route of a wired analyser, decent quality.
We recently changed our car and the salesmen had come through the ranks as a mechanic on Fiats. I'll pick his brains.:D:

MULTIECUSCAN registered version - €50
+
ELM327 - anything from €5 from China to €35 From UK(WITH ADAPTER CABLES FOR ABS AIRBAG ETC.)

DON'T BUY THE CHEAP UNITS from China unless you can identify and remove surface mount electronic components. They have a design error that stops tem working with some modules.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks again!
I'm an Apple only user and now I've found out via the 'Apple discussions' site that this is a known Apple issue.
So, I'm going to go down the route of a wired analyser, decent quality.
We recently changed our car and the salesmen had come through the ranks as a mechanic on Fiats. I'll pick his brains.:D:

Hi,
even the quality standalone fault code readers won't get close to the functionality of Multiecuscan (MES). They won't reset the oil degradation counters on DPF equipped diesels for example. MES will give proper fault descriptions, allow you alter parameters, test switches, actuators lights etc, measure and graph parameters like flows and pressures, force DPF regeneration and much more.
You would be better off buying a cheap laptop just for MES, even an old Windows XP (SP2) one will work OK. The one I use was free.

Robert G8RPI.

DON'T BUY THE CHEAP UNITS from China unless you can identify and remove surface mount electronic components. They have a design error that stops tem working with some modules.

Robert G8RPI.

Some did/do mainly the chunky old usb models, I've bought a huge variety of bluetooth elm cables from ebay, tmart, banggood, gearbest, dx, buyincoins over the years with no issues. Most of 'modified' cables for sale on ebay simply didn't have the problem in the first place.

Just to add don't buy anything that claims to be v2.1 or v2.2 they don't work.

Hi,
even the quality standalone fault code readers won't get close to the functionality of Multiecuscan (MES). They won't reset the oil degradation counters on DPF equipped diesels for example. MES will give proper fault descriptions, allow you alter parameters, test switches, actuators lights etc, measure and graph parameters like flows and pressures, force DPF regeneration and much more.
You would be better off buying a cheap laptop just for MES, even an old Windows XP (SP2) one will work OK. The one I use was free.

Robert G8RPI.

I heartily agree with the above. A very cheap windows xp laptop costs buttons these days, ideally oone with usb 2; presumably you have had experience on windows before going mac? I have a laptop just for multiecuscan, you can get a free demo of the program that will run, functionality being slightly limited from reg'd. version. It is better value than a stndalone obd reader, which may not speak fiat fluently. Don't think it's a mistake that you need a VAG (VW) KKL adaptor lead, you do. Get a good quality one!

Some did/do mainly the chunky old usb models, I've bought a huge variety of bluetooth elm cables from ebay, tmart, banggood, gearbest, dx, buyincoins over the years with no issues. Most of 'modified' cables for sale on ebay simply didn't have the problem in the first place.

Hi,
Did you check for the presence of a 120 ohm terminating resistor across the CAN bus (pins 6 and 14)? All the cheap ones Ive seen have had it fitted. Trouble is it does not completly stop operation on all cars. Typically basic diagnostics are OK but connecting to specific modules causes problems. Sometimes it's intermittent which is an issue if doing a write to the ECU.

Robert G8RPI.

Great advice on here folks, thanks.
The call to the former Fiat mechanic resulted in suggestions re pretty expensive kit used by the mechanics where he is now a salesman.
This is stuff they have purchased themselves to do work 'on the side', so I'm sure they have to cover as many options as possible.

Due to your great tips I'm looking into the Linux route via my old MacBookPro. Sounds like a good cost effective method for a pensioner.:cool:
My oldest lad, a massive mac fan, has suggested Linux for other uses and has done this so is getting roped in to advise.

Forums rock.

Does this sound like the right way for me?

Hi,
I've not looked at the latest version, but last time I looked the Android version of AlfaOBD had limited functionality. I can't recommend it personally.
I'm not sure if even the full version covers the Ducato. you need to check on their website www.alfaobd.com (I'm at work and our system won't let me go to the site). They have a supported vehicles list.
Is windows that bad you won't run an old laptop for MES? As stated before, I've used a old Sony XP laptop that cost nothing (freecycle/upcycle/freegle).

Robert G8RPI.

Just emailed Multiecuscan enquiringly about using Linux on my old MacBook Pro.
If it's too complicated your MS suggestion will be my next move. ;-)

Hi,
Did you check for the presence of a 120 ohm terminating resistor across the CAN bus (pins 6 and 14)?

Yes, I've been buying the super mini and vgate icar interfaces with the power button so that I can leave them in place in peoples cars. Unfortunately in the last few months most of the chinese suppliers are now advertising them as v2.1 which doesn't work with multiecuscan.

Now the owner of a Dell 820 @ £40.

MES downloaded and looks fine, now I just need my Ducato Type number.

V5 says 2020, but that doesn't tie up with MES type nos.

Ours is a 130 multi jet, 2287cc engine, built Jan 2012, I think its a Type 250

(From Wikipedia ) Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet Iveco engine-F1AE3481D 2,287 cc

Last edited:
Right, where we're at now:D

A Dell D820 purchased via Gumtree, £40 and working fine.
OBDLink SX acquired from Gendan, no worky!
Adaptor acquired from Gendan, seems fine, required colour on led, but I now need to set up USB parameters and I have to used Multiecuscan with the adaptor I have.
This is where I've hit a snake.
The version of Windows show on the pictures of the Multiecuscan users guide is different from the version (7) on the Dell laptop.

Being a Mac man I'm seeking guidance, are there various versions of Multiecuscan guides?

a)Press the Windows start button to bring up the start menu and select “Control Panel”.
From the Control Panel window select Hardware and Sound.
At the next screen select Device Manager.
Click Ports (COM & LPT)
If the driver is correctly installed then you will see the serial adapter with the comport number next to it e.g. (COM3) or (COM4)

b)If the driver is not installed you will have a device showing in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark.
Right click on that device and select update device driver
Click "browse my computer for a driver" and navigate to the cd / usb or whatever that has the drivers.
Follow the instructions to install the driver.
When installed Click Ports (COM & LPT)
If the driver is correctly installed then you will see the serial adapter with the comport number next to it e.g. (COM3) or (COM4)

c)Enter the com port number e.g. com3, com4 in multiecuscan and try to connect to the vehicle (ignition must be on)

d) If you can't connect to the vehicle open the device manager again:
Press the Windows start button to bring up the start menu and select “Control Panel”.
From the Control Panel window select Hardware and Sound.
At the next screen select Device Manager.
Click Ports (COM & LPT)
Right click on the com port and click properties adjust settings as recommended by Gendan.,

Back