Technical 2021 Ducato 2.3 180 Multijet: Engine Fault Code P1540

Currently reading:
Technical 2021 Ducato 2.3 180 Multijet: Engine Fault Code P1540

JaycoConquestDX

Fiat Ducato motorhome with < 25,000km. Owned since new.

While driving in a remote area, the amber engine warning light came on, the auto start/stop system warning light came on and the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. Could continue to drive to get to an auto mechanic with no loss of performance. Loss of A/C was very inconvenient though.

At mechanic his OBD scanner retrieved engine code P1540. Can be cleared but returns again in a few minutes. The scanner does not have description for the code except to refer user to the Fiat manual, which neither mechanic or I have. Can anyone tell me what this code means. I rang Fiat roadside assistance who refer me to a Fiat dealership (far away) which have yet to return my call.

The mechanic found that the A/C belt was destroyed with only some shreds remaining. That explains the loss the cooling. A replacement belt has been ordered and we will hold up until it arrives. This may even resolve the engine code, but in anticipation that something else has been damaged, thought it better to research it further.

No entry in my database for this code but online there were 2 references to aircon electrics on vauxhall cars. With a bit of luck a new belt will sort it.
Thank you for your reply. Among the many and various definitions I came across in my online Google searching was an “A/C system high pressure” which I thought was encouraging. However I couldn’t be assured this definition applied to my vehicle model. The new belt will be fitted today and we will soon see.
Interesting that I spoke to two Fiat Service Centres on phone and despite pleading my circumstances they would not tell me the definition for the code other than to tell me to bring the vehicle in which I would gladly have done if I was closer.

Final update. With the new A/C belt fitted the engine fault code could be cleared and stay cleared. However in fitting the belt it was also noticed that a cable (possibly some sensor cable) was hanging loose presumably disconnected by flailing of the shredded A/C belt. It was reconnected to the crank case (?) by the mechanic. So this may have in fact been the reason for the engine fault code. Either way, all fixed.

Back