Technical Engine alert warning light?

Currently reading:
Technical Engine alert warning light?

Lars A

Hey all,

Need som expert advices...

In october last year I left teh car in for 30000km service. Its a 2002 Doblo.
Before I did this I was thinking, nah I dont like to leave the car to some unknown workshop...then it probably will start to brake down after that.

However they changed som oil, and charged me 200 euros for oil and airfilter and som other stuff I could have done myself. What they should do is to correct the tuning of all mechanical parts, check ignition and stuff I cant do myself. I think.

Well...anyways, in december the engine light came on, and was on for a couple of days. No sign of any motor trouble thow.

Now, today, I had my son use the car going to the movies. On his way into the carpark it just died on him. Then he tryed to start it, and the motor came on, with this yellow motor warning light on, but he couldnt give any gas. Pedal in the full throttle, the motor didnt respond. They got help to move the car and parked it. Som 15 minutes later the motor worked again.
Now hes at the cinema, im worried, hes worried, and I hope the car will carry him and his girlfriend back home... :(

Now, thing is that its 18 degrees below zero, Celsius.
I suspect they got some ice in the fuel system. But normally these problems appear from start, on a cold motor. Not after 30 km and warm motor. And normally on Opel cars and other big bad monsters. (I had one once...)
Never experienced this during these 3 years Ive had it.

Any other ideas, anybody? I would be very grateful for any input...

I'd like to say I can help you but being from the UK, and not sure what effect the temperature would have on the engine I dont think I can. Is it not the service indicator showing? And it could just be a dodgy starter motor thats the cause of your starting problems due to the cold. As I said I'm not sure, I'll have a look around for you ASAP! :confused:

Thanks for quick reply's, guys!

Its a petrol...

Today I tryed to start it, and it was struggelin, sounded as if a sparkplug or 3 was out of order... But when I (and the battery) was ready to give up, the car just kicked on. And I made a nervous breakdown car drive to the FIAT workshop, just 2 km away.

At FIAT they immediately took it in, had it on computer analyze for some 20-30 minutes, then he came out and said
"-Its the computerbox. It says its the computer making the yeallow light shine. So we resetted the computer, and now the yellow light is off. Just continue driving and see what heppens next. Maybe its a sudden bug or something. If it goes on again, well dig deeper into it. No charge now."

I just hope for a warmer winter now... :rolleyes:

My own guessing is that the electronics doesnt really like the -20 degree celcius. This car is used most commonly as a taxi in turkey, and their winters doesnt believe our winter when they see it... :)

A normal computer is made of silicon semicionductors that are specified down to zero celcius. All industrial silicon chip electronics are specified down to zero. Only mil-standard goes down to -25 degrees. I guess they use military standard components in these thing, but they also may cheat a little, and it would show directly when its freezing cold. Or some components are just bad.

The other option is as I read som other place here (nice forum btw) that theres a cable thats easy gettin out of place when service is done. (bet they fixed that while I was waitin :) )

Anyway, thanks again for your replys, guys!

Hey you're welcome! ;) Hope this solves your problems now! Hopefully what T14086 said was right and you just had a bit of a huccup with the computerbox!

Glad to have another doblo'er on the site :)

I have had a few doblos not sparking correctly,traced fault to a sticky transistor(that switches negative to the coil)inside the ecu this can be sorted by disconnecting ecu or battery or by another method....which is abit dodgy & rather not say...but it works;)

T14086 said:
I have had a few doblos not sparking correctly,traced fault to a sticky transistor(that switches negative to the coil)inside the ecu this can be sorted by disconnecting ecu or battery or by another method....which is abit dodgy & rather not say...but it works;)

Hmm... valuable information. Yes, say say say!! :)

Any idea what they do when they "reset the computerbox"?
Is that the same as disconnectin the battery?

Did you find that transistor being defective, or just in a unstable circuit?
I mean..."to the coil" sound like we have to do with high voltage transient spikes... Can drive any transistor crazy. The cure is a varistor, a "spike eater".

Im glad Ive found you guys! :slayer:

Hi all,

im new to this post!I have a doblo 1.9D 2002 the engine light started to come on about a month ago.I ignored it.Now the engine is hunting during idle a mechanic suggested that the injector pump is faulty .Has any body got ideas?

Welcome to the forums :) this could be the cause of your idling problems but would probably not explain why the engine warning light is coming on. Probably best to get a fiat dealer to check and reset the computer, a lot of the time it's just the cars computer that is feeling a bit under the weather and seen as the fuel injection and idle rpm would be adjusted by the computer it could well be affecting these as well as making the light come on.

hollyhi said:
Hi all,

im new to this post!I have a doblo 1.9D 2002 the engine light started to come on about a month ago.I ignored it.Now the engine is hunting during idle a mechanic suggested that the injector pump is faulty .Has any body got ideas?

I'd get the codes read before you splash out all that money for a pump(they're not cheap)doblo's are quite easy to diagnose & fault codes that they do display are quite reliable.

I'm told you can get diagnostic units you can use at home. Does anyone have any experience with these?:confused:

It is definately possible, I know through my experience with landrovers you can pick up their official diagnostics stuff for about £700 and it works.

With Fiat it'll probably be just as expensive, or if you can find a cheaper one, it won't be that good compared to the ones Fiat actually use so probably just worth the £30 or so to get it checked at your dealer :)

Back again.The fault apperas to have recified itself! However i'm putting down to a bad fill of diesel.I changed brand and hey presto everything back to normal.Does any body know where the gearbox oil fill is located?Has anybody had any problems with the weld snapping on the gearstick???

Back