Technical EML after service

Currently reading:
Technical EML after service

French Connection

The EML on my 2015 130 Multijet motorhome is playing sillyblighters.

Currently 55,000 km (French vehicle, we live in France) with no previous problems.

Oil and filter, fuel filter and air filter changed at local independant garage - service interval reset according to the garagiste - but EML came on within a couple of km. No error messages on screen, not in limp mode. Connected reader but no stored error codes. Started and runs as normal, EML now out.

About 50 km later returning from its CT (French MoT), EML comes on, check message on screen, vehicle goes into limp mode. Limped home about 6 km, (didn't try stopping and re-starting, just wanted to get home!) connected reader, no error codes stored! Starts as normal, EML out.

I'm confused by no stored error codes and the link to activity around the OBD port. Disturbed electrical connection? Service interval not correctly reset?

Any opinions would be gratefully received

If the EML blinks, it's because of engine temperature being too low. And that is caused by stucked open thermostat so the cooling liquid doesn't get to warm up as it should.
So, does it blink? Is the engine temperature below normal?

If the EML blinks, it's because of engine temperature being too low. And that is caused by stucked open thermostat so the cooling liquid doesn't get to warm up as it should.
So, does it blink? Is the engine temperature below normal?
Thanks for the prompt reply. No, the EML is constant. It does take a while to warm up, but runs consistently a gnat's whisker under half on the gauge.

What is the coolent temperature (on warm engine) as read by the obd port. This can be read by simple android readers such as torque. a csv file can be created to produce a graph . this could be checked against a std ducato.
Heres an example
Coolant temp Engine A Nov 21.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE
Switched the 'ignition' on and 'Check Fuel Filter' scrolled across the screen once; Can't reproduce it by turning on/off and no stored faults.
Since the fault has only appeared after the filter was changed I'm pretty certain now that that is where the fault lies.

Can't find an illustration of this particular filter at the moment, no electrical connection is visible on top but it's impossible to see/feel around the bottom.
There must be an electrical connection somewhere!

Thanks for that - sorry for the delay - but the newer version of the filter is totally different to the one in the video! It bolts in place and the feed and return are on the top with a multiplug at the bottom. It seems that it's actually a 2014 chassis which took time to build as a camper and was registered in 2015.

Symptoms today: started normally, ran fine as I manoeuvred out of our courtyard (not as simple as it sounds, several minutes to-and-froing) but went immediately into limp mode afterwards with no EML or message. Restarted and ran normally for the 15 minute drive to the garage.

The garage say that their diagnostics say the fault lies with the multi plug, but they will have to order it as their factor doesn't stock it.

Started and ran OK for the return trip, although I'm not sure about perhaps a slight flat spot at low revs.

I'm not 100% convinced, yes dodgy connections in multi plugs are one of the most common of problems and just perhaps the wriggling may have cured it, but the flat spot?

What exactly does that multiplug do? Monitors fuel quality and water, probably but why would either of those cause limp mode without any EML or warning? And how could it cause a flat spot?

I'm going to try a better test run tomorrow with Torque App running. I've set fuel supply as one parameter, any suggestions for others?

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate the responses and help from the forum

Back