ELM327 OBD2 plug

Currently reading:
ELM327 OBD2 plug

I had a look at multiecuscan and was not very impressed. Not even sure it works on my car properly.

However via generic OBD2 readers you can use an impressive range of software on a car and they seem to work ok on Fiats.

I just ordered a wifi elm327 plug for USD13 including postage from China. Bit of a risk because the Chinese ones do not have a good reputation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327

Last edited:
I had a look at multiecuscan and was not very impressed. Not even sure it works on my car properly.
<snip>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327

What were you not impressed with on Multiecuscan? What were yoou trying to acheive and what interface were you using?
MES is not a "dashboard" app (they do havw FES Dashboard but it only works on some cars) it's a serious diagnostic and maintenence tool. If you were espeting flashy "skins" etc then you would be disapppointed.

Most of the cheap import ELM 327 interfaces have a 120 ohm resistor connected across the CAN bus (pins 6 and 14), this interferes with proper operation and should be removed, making it a "modfied" interface.

Robert G8RPI.

What were you not impressed with on Multiecuscan? What were yoou trying to acheive and what interface were you using?
MES is not a "dashboard" app (they do havw FES Dashboard but it only works on some cars) it's a serious diagnostic and maintenence tool. If you were espeting flashy "skins" etc then you would be disapppointed.

Most of the cheap import ELM 327 interfaces have a 120 ohm resistor connected across the CAN bus (pins 6 and 14), this interferes with proper operation and should be removed, making it a "modfied" interface.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks for the information about the elm327 plugs. Here is my story so far.

I have a 3 Pin OBD 2 VAG 409 KKL USB Ecu Scan Diagnostic Interface Cable from ebay. It has worked fine for reading the flash memory and EEPROM of my ECU and appears to be fine for MES

The free version of Multiecuscan told me my bosch 0261208029 ECU was only supported in the registered version of the software. I tried out a bootleg copy of version 2.2 of the software (currently 2.7) and found it did not display either of my oxygen sensor voltages and told me I had 2 precat oxygen sensors.

I downloaded the free version of ALFAOBD and found it also told me I had two precat oxygen sensors.

I pushed some probes into the precat oxygen sensor insulation and confirmed the sensor was satisfactory.

This led me to believe I was better off getting something better suited for my car

Last edited:
Thanks for the information about the elm327 plugs. Here is my story so far.

I have a 3 Pin OBD 2 VAG 409 KKL USB
<Snip>
This led me to believe I was better off getting something better suited for my car

So What is your car?
A KKL interface is not an ELM327 and does not support CAN which may be needed for some modules on your car. The supported vehicle list on the MES website will tell you what you need. The mention of a 3 pin OBD suggests an earlier car which may not have full OBD facilities.

Robert G8RPI.

So What is your car?
A KKL interface is not an ELM327 and does not support CAN which may be needed for some modules on your car. The supported vehicle list on the MES website will tell you what you need. The mention of a 3 pin OBD suggests an earlier car which may not have full OBD facilities.

Robert G8RPI.

I have this cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391095293998

I have a 2004 Fiat Punto 1.2 16V Mk2b. The car is unmodified and has been in the family since new.

Attachments

• 188A500 ECU.jpg
    188A500 ECU.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi,
Looks like the KL interface will give you basic information from the engine control unit, but you need an ELM to do service reset, electric steering, body computer, instrument panel etc. You also need the registered version of MES for the ECU.
http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

I'd suggest buying a modified ELM 327 from someone with a UK or EU address e.g. ebay item 301626849586 (I've bought from this supplier without issues) and getting a registered copy of MES, it's only €50 and a dealer can charge that for a simple reset.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

Hi,
Looks like the KL interface will give you basic information from the engine control unit, but you need an ELM to do service reset, electric steering, body computer, instrument panel etc. You also need the registered version of MES for the ECU.
http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

I'd suggest buying a modified ELM 327 from someone with a UK or EU address e.g. ebay item 301626849586 (I've bought from this supplier without issues) and getting a registered copy of MES, it's only €50 and a dealer can charge that for a simple reset.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

As i explained neither the bootleg registered version of MES or the free version of ALFAOBD are displaying my ECU information correctly. What that means is I am reluctant to go further with MES at this point in time, and since I have already ordered the ELM327 I might as well wait to see if that works with the other free software available.

However I did not realise that MES would work with an ELM327 so I had probably totally confused you and me and everybody else at the same time. :)

Hi,
MES works great with ELM327 interfaces. I've used several versions with a couple of cars (Marea and Croma) Try MES with your ELM 327 when you get it. If you have a digital multimeter, check the resistance between pins 6 and 14 on the ELM. If it reads around 120 ohms (less than 200 ohms) it needs to be modified by removing the resistor for reliable access to all CAN modules. This affects all software not just MES. The unmodified units will normally connect to the engine control unit, but have trouble with other modules.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi,
MES works great with ELM327 interfaces. I've used several versions with a couple of cars (Marea and Croma) Try MES with your ELM 327 when you get it. If you have a digital multimeter, check the resistance between pins 6 and 14 on the ELM. If it reads around 120 ohms (less than 200 ohms) it needs to be modified by removing the resistor for reliable access to all CAN modules. This affects all software not just MES. The unmodified units will normally connect to the engine control unit, but have trouble with other modules.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks, I will report back in a few weeks time.

Somebody forgot to report back??
GOD I HATE THESE.....
ok years ago I forgot to report back. I dont know what happened but i have still not used that software. What i do remember is I bought an Autel scanner for my father in law so he could clear his air bag codes and he did not seem to want it so i used it myself

Back