Technical Electrics issue?

Currently reading:
Technical Electrics issue?

Hi guys. I’ve just bought a 2nd hand 1.2 lounge (2012) and noticed some fundamental issues… this one only came to light 20 miles in to the drive home when I finally indicated right 🤦‍♂️ basically when indicating right the seatbelt and engine lights flash? His doesn’t happen indicating left. Also the reversing light stays on even after disengaging until you restart the car.

Anybody had the same issue and found a fix? It’s for my daughters birthday so isn’t in a fit state to give her.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    17.2 MB
Hello and welcome to the forum.

This looks like the all-too-common cluster fault issue, which is frequently reported here.

Main dealers solve this by replacing the cluster; expect about £600+VAT for the part, with fitting & programming on top of this. OEM clusters can be bought at a discounted price from shop4parts; a donation to the forum will get you a further 10% off that price.

Alternatives are to fit a replacement from a breakers, or send the existing cluster away to be repaired. Be aware that the car will need to be programmed to recognise a replaced cluster; sometimes not necessary if the existing cluster is repaired. If sourcing a secondhand replacement, note that the mileage can be adjusted upward, but not downward, so it's important to find one with a lower mileage than yours.

If you are able to remove the cluster yourself (it's not particularly hard), then my own suggestion would be to search for a company offering cluster repair, and send them a copy of your video.

@typecastboy has dealt with this issue on numerous cars, and may have something useful to add.

Hi

Cluster..as above

Its a niggle.. wont get worse and only an advisory at MOT time

Not sure the reversing light is related though..

Probably a lost earth.. worth checking the rear hatch wiring loom

( they stress and break wires at the hinge point)

AT THIS POINT..
Check all lights for function..

Front lights can also be problematic..
Minor bumps and bodged repairs.

(It probably has 'cornering lights)

Thanks guys. I have a few weeks before my daughters birthday so will take a look at this. She drives lovely, smooth engine and gear changes, bodywork is good too both condition and alignment.

Any YouTube videos you know of to remove cluster and access rear wiring loom?

Cheers

Attachments

• E3306D34-025E-4C96-A4BD-7A222669140E.jpeg
    E3306D34-025E-4C96-A4BD-7A222669140E.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 29
  • FD84D36B-8E60-421B-B2A2-B747517E9FDC.jpeg
    FD84D36B-8E60-421B-B2A2-B747517E9FDC.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
Hi have a look at this link re the well known rear hatch wiring issue not the Maybiline link

Also try turning on the Day running Lights use the Menu button on the dash and the up down to access the option, first try starting the car lights off and see if the bumper lights are on? It will probably need a new bulb, replace both type 580.

It will need a new engine earth cable too about £5 from Ebay simple to fit, 300mm long 8mm holes

When was the cam belt replaced?
Upgrade bulbs in the headlights are an option like Phillips Extreme H7
Understand the Bluetooth is pants
Have the AC recharged regardless of whether it works and a new cabin filter( PITA to replace ) and leave the AC on all the time!
Iridium spark plugs a sensible replacement fit and forget, almost,,
It will probably need some suspension TLC
As its for your daughter consider a new battery

Parts are cheap and straightforward to replace IF you can do it yourself

You didn't mention the flashing mileage this could indicate a failed Bluetooth module other computer related issue hook up to a laptop to fix, what message comes up at start up as the warning triangle is on, could be a bulb failure

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses guys, but I’m now a little confused 😂

So the cluster doesn’t ‘light up like a Christmas tree’, it’s just the seatbelt and engine warning flash when I indicate right 😬 and the mileage constantly flashes.

Also the reversing light stays on (if I’ve reversed) until I restart the car. When I do start it up, the lcd shows the mpg (I think)

It had a cam belt change at 73k (2018) and it’s just had a service and MOT (which it passed, so not sure they tried the reversing light). I’ve also just fitted a brand new Stop start battery from kwik fit.

So, I take it you feel I should replace the engine earth lead and other bits because of its age??? Also how do you hook it up to a laptop to check the Bluetooth etc?

Thanks!

Yes earth strap a known weakness if not already replaced.
Flashing mileage requires Proxi alignment using the correct "fiat" software at the same time can check other things like Bluetooth fault codes etc,
Wonder if the reversing switch is faulty or tailgate wiring though its not in it or other issue(not a mot requirement to work)

Thanks john

Would a standard OBD2 diagnostics check provide the fault codes - and potentially fix the flashing mileage - or is this a dealer only fix? I’ve seen a company who will ‘fix’ a cluster display, but not sure if it includes the flashing mileage..

Cheers

Thanks again for everyone’s Input - but much to take in and going over my head… however, going to try and approach things systematically.

I notice MultiECUscan has an iOS app (I’m Apple Mac based) and been looking for an ELM327 adapter… would this provide the acces to PROXI alignment

NiceCheck for-scan Bluetooh 327 Adapter Elm OBD Cable OBDII Switch Reader HS-CAN/MS-CAN Diagnostic Scanner https://amzn.eu/d/4p03NaF

If I can get the cluster sorted, I can then look at reversing light and engine cable

Thanks

Just read this on multi scan site…

Bluetooth OBDKey, ELM 327 and OBDLink interfaces are fully supported but not recommended for special functions (like PROXI Alignment, remote control programming, IMA coding, etc.)!

Does that mean the dongle above won’t allow me to do the proxi alignment?

Further update: All lights operate well - surprisingly the reversing light no longer stays lit??? But the 'high beam' seems to make the day light lights brighter rather than the main lights... is that how the 500 does it?

Blue tooth connects and I can voice control to call someone, however, they cannot hear me and I cannot hear them.. is this a bluetooth version issue as the car is 11 years old?" Would the update downloads on this site work? if so do you need to incrementally update them, or can I go straight to v 10 :)

I'm going to purchase above and see if I can do a Proxi Alignment, again, thanks for all advice - feel much, much better about the car now, even though I think the salesman was deliberately hiding these issues as I just didn't know.

Further update: All lights operate well - surprisingly the reversing light no longer stays lit??? But the 'high beam' seems to make the day light lights brighter rather than the main lights... is that how the 500 does it?
Basically yes. The 500's lighting setup is unusual; the low beam H7 bulb is in the main headlight assembly, as you'd expect, along with the indicators, but the high beam H1 bulb is in the DRL housing along with the dual filament 21W/5W DRL/side-light bulb.

Thanks guys, I now need to replace the bulb behind the HVAC controls 🙈

Also, could someone point me to the best OBD2 cable for multiecuscan? Tried the bluetooth but that doesn't work at all. I have the yellow adapter

thanks

Back